PDA

View Full Version : A new work shop.....finally

Bob Glenn
07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I am building a second floor wood shop over my garage. Joists and sub floor down, walls up, ceiling rafters on, and hopefully under roof once again by the end of the week. It will be about 300 square feet. Before I hang drywall I need to run wiring. Or do I? I'm not crazy neander, and will have some small powered equipment down stairs.

So, should I leave the new shop without power to force me a little farther down the cordless road? What say you. Anyone out there without power in the shop?

john davey
07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
You need power for lighting and maybe a fan if it gets hot or a heater if it gets cold. Mini fridge :).... lighting though for sure, And some small lights that plug n that can give you cross lighting....

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Well, that, and if the house ever gets sold or the space repurposed, you or someone else may find having some wiring might be a nice thing.

And batteries for the radio get expensive!

Jim Koepke
07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
If this is a permitted addition, then you might want to look into what local codes require.

In some areas there is a requirement for there to be electrical outlets within 6 feet of any spot along a wall.

You will find that having places to plug in a lamp or radio convenient.

You can always employ a person to wave a large fan to move air during the summer.

jtk

Don Jarvie
07-04-2012, 1:43 PM
Wire it up right with 110 and 220 plugs all over. You never know when you may want to add a few tools, bandsaw etc.

Joe McMahon
07-04-2012, 1:54 PM
Wire it up right with 110 and 220 plugs all over. You never know when you may want to add a few tools, bandsaw etc.

Far better to have it & not need it than to need it & not .............

Tony Shea
07-04-2012, 3:27 PM
As Jim stated some codes require there to be an outlet no further than 6ft at any point along the wall. BUT, this is according to a living area. Where this is a space not intended for living space then I don't believe the code applies. This is not a requirement in garages.

Another BUT, you can never have to many outlets! If you add a couple then you might as well add a couple more. The cost of extra outlets is very minimal as the device itself is cheap. The wire is the expense but if you're passing through the wall anyway it takes very little extra wire to drop off to another outlet. That is of course unless it's a 220V or different amp rating device. IMO, just put the outlets in!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-04-2012, 3:41 PM
If you really don't want the temptation of outlets, I suppose you could put in wire or conduit and receptacle boxes now, and leave out the outlets and not connect the wire to power - much easier to do that part while things are all opened up, and make a few connections and add outlets later than try and run wires in finished walls.

Dave Pugh
07-04-2012, 7:37 PM
I too have been moving more and more to hand tools. I will give up my table saw, but I will not give up my a/c and fans during the summer and the heater during the winter.

Brian Cameron
07-04-2012, 7:46 PM
I would definately do what Don said..put in 110 and 220...when you resell it can only be a bonus...no adequate wiring turns it into a storage loft real quick
Brian

Rick Lapp
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Even the Amish build their houses with wiring around here. They don't use it but they recognize the wisdom of resale. Rick

Bob Glenn
07-05-2012, 7:52 AM
Hey, thanks, for all the good comments. I'm going to go ahead and run the wire. I already have 220 below in the garage, so it will be easy to access the shop from underneath. Can't wait till we're under roof and I can start moving tools. BTW, we've been in drought here in Indiana, but since I've had the roof off, its rained twice!

Jim Rimmer
07-05-2012, 1:10 PM
What shop? I don't see a shop. :D

Rodney Walker
07-05-2012, 7:08 PM
Far better to have it & not need it than to need it & not .............

+1 to that. Now is the best time. Any time after the sheet rock is in is a major hassle.
Rodney