PDA

View Full Version : Source for cabinet door glass insert?

Victor Robinson
07-04-2012, 4:01 AM
My wife would really like wood-framed glass doors on a kitchen hutch I am building. An example of what we'd like would be something like this, available from Kraftmaid:

http://www.kraftmaid.com/products/decorative-enhancements/glass-doors/esn2dg01/#/gdt:/gdds:/n:/p:1

In case you can't view the link, it's an example of a leaded glass door or one with some kind of metal..."caming" I think it's called.

I haven't been able to track down a supplier of glass inserts like this I could have made to custom size. I believe you can order just doors (but not just inserts) from Kraftmaid/Home Depot, so I suppose that would be one route, but they don't have a finish that matches what I'm building.

Any ideas for a source for these types of glass inserts online or in the San Fran Bay Area? Thanks!

Barry Nicholson
07-04-2012, 7:06 AM
You'll most likely need to visit a stained glass shop. unless you're doing a faux glass then a traditional shop could cut them easily.

Jerry Hillenburg
07-04-2012, 7:27 AM
Victor,

I posted this thinking you were looking for sheet glass, not glass with camming, sorry.

If you can design around standard sizes, you can purchase 3/16" tempered polished edge "cube" glass used in store displays on Ebay or other places. You will pay $4 to $8 per panel. Check out this Ebay listing to see what I am talking about; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tempered-Glass-12-Cube-Display-with-White-Base-/170869768374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c8a1c0b6#ht_2269wt_155

Sam Murdoch
07-04-2012, 7:39 AM
Here is one link that might get you started - http://walzcraft.com/company/news-events/new-product-releases/?ID=47998 There are many more on the Google, though I can't recommend as I have not tried them. I'm fortunate to have a glass conservator among my list of collaborators.

Jerry Hillenburg
07-04-2012, 8:11 AM
Sam,
I used Walzcraft for my doors when I was building cabinets commercially. This company is amazing. Their catalogue is 394 pages long and they have more than just cabinet doors. Their quality is superb. In case you are wondering, I was only a customer, I am not a relative or a stock holder.

Rich Engelhardt
07-04-2012, 8:26 AM
In case you can't view the link, it's an example of a leaded glass door or one with some kind of metal..."caming" I think it's called.
Correct - the material is called lead came.
Sort of a mini I-Beam looking stuff.
It comes in an H channel - for the interior part where the glass pieces fit together - and a U channel, for around the perimeter.

You Should have all sorts of art and craft places out there in SF where you can buy the materials to make them yourself.

You just need some Oleic acid for flux, a pencil type soldering iron and the glass pieces.

I've done a lot of caming and there ins't really anything to it once you get the hang of it.
BTW- the same basic techniques work with lead, copper, brass and zinc came.

Any decent art & craft place should be able to put you in touch with somone that teaches classes. Even if you don't want to take the time to learn it, which I really recommned you do since it's like riding a bike - once you know it, a little refresher is all it takes - they may be able to make the inserts for you to whatever size you need and/or wahatever materials you want.

Victor Robinson
07-04-2012, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the lead, guys. Walzcraft sounds like a good place to start as I need only two inserts.

Rich, I'd definitely be interested in learning how to do it - it doesnt take much to get me to want to learn something new. Will look and see what I can dig up. For a separate built-in project, my wife would love mirrored doors with caming. That's not something Walzcraft provides so it might be worth learning. I'll be sure to bug you if I end up going down this road!