PDA

View Full Version : new concrete piers loading schedule

mark espinosa
07-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Hello
I just poured a few concrete reinforced piers. They are 31x31x31 approx. the question I had is how long should I wait to let the framer's place a load on these piers. I understand as builders time is money and if it cracks well who will know. I have also heard before that it will take 28 days to cure but that seems a bit extreme to keep the framer at bay that long but it certainly wouldn't be the next day. I have taken off forms the next day on some small footings and it seems quite soft or not hardened and not ready for any compression. thanks for your help.

Curt Fuller
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Although there are a lot of variables, most concrete reaches 50% of its maximum strength in 3 days, 70% in 7 days as a general rule. If it were mine I would be confident to begin framing after 3 days.

Chris Damm
07-04-2012, 7:50 AM
I was always taught that concrete reaches 95% of it's strenght in 28 days and takes 28 years to reach 100%. 2 or 3 days are enough before removing the forms.

Kevin Bourque
07-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm a contractor and we do this sort of thing all the time. I would wait at least 3-4 days until I put weight on those piers.

Ole Anderson
07-04-2012, 5:25 PM
I agree with the other folks. And if you are in a real hurry next time, have them toss another sack of cement into every cubic yard of concrete to speed up the cure.