PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made one of these rigs?

Jack Gaskins
07-03-2012, 7:41 PM
Looking for feedback from anyone who has made one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93yUSMzzTA

Thanks,
Jack

Ed Morgano
07-03-2012, 9:00 PM
I haven't made on of those, but I did make this articulated arm for hollowing:

Jack Gaskins
07-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Well thats pretty cool there Ed. I have never done any hollowing other than using the forstner bit. But was wanting to try some mini forms. Ran across this on Utub and it looked like something I can easily make and would work well on mini/midi forms. Think I might give it a go anyway except mine will be a bit small to fit my Delta 460.

Jack

Scott Conners
07-04-2012, 2:37 AM
That's cool! I happen to have a bunch of 6" wide mdf cutoffs in the garage...I may have to make a mini one for my 1014!

robert baccus
07-07-2012, 4:01 PM
My first version was almost like that. This was back in 1989 and there was no decent tools on the market. For a stabilizer i used a 3x8x36" oak plank'. The shaft(2) was 1&1/8" round bar--this allowed several cutters to be used. My shop wall was but 1' from the end of my lathe so like a good coonass i made a 3' slot with a chainsaw. This was for my stabilizer to run in. This was an experiment as i had no room for anything else. I have since removed the wall and use a trap made of 3/4 hollow steel welded up by a friend. I am still using esentially the same rig except now it is all steel. It will hollow to 18"depth and due to 5 cutters it is faster and more versatile than the factory rigs.

Jack Gaskins
07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
My first version of deep throat was almost like that. This was back in 1989 and there was no decent tools on the market. For a stabilizer i used a 3x8x36" oak plank'. The shaft(2) was 1&1/8" round bar--this allowed several cutters to be used. My shop wall was but 1' from the end of my lathe so like a good coonass i made a 3' slot with a chainsaw. This was for my stabilizer to run in. This was an experiment as i had no room for anything else. I have since removed the wall and use a trap made of 3/4 hollow steel welded up by a friend. I am still using esentially the same rig except now it is all steel. It will hollow to 18"depth and due to 5 cutters it is faster and more versatile than the factory rigs.

Good to hear your still using the rig. I went ahead and cut out the parts for mine. Havent assymbled it yet. Mine is only going to be for hollowing tiny things no bigger than 4 inches deep probably more like 3. Have been wanting to hollow some globes and some sphere shaped bird houses. I have looked at all the hollowing bars and think I am going to get the small Trent Bosch set.

Alan Zenreich
07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I talked with Steve Antonnuci and watched his video before I bought my Monster rig.

One thing to note is that Steve isn't actually advocating the use of this type of hollowing rig.

It is my understanding that he whipped this up quickly just to show that if you understand the forces being applied to he tool you don't NEED to spend a lot of money on a commercial rig.

Steve hollows freehand, and enjoys the challenge of doing it that way.

I even convinced him to find and dust off his tripod... those hand held shots and one hand tool holding are hard to watch.

ALAN VAIL
07-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Made a niceone all steel but my lathe was to close to the wall. It is for sale . I made an articulated one so i wouldnt have to move my lathe have pics of the one for sale in my pics thanks old hippy