PDA

View Full Version : Is fixing this bedframe exposed to excessive moisture possible?

Nancy Crouchet
07-03-2012, 6:57 PM
Hi All, I have a bedframe that was exposed to excessive moisture, so I pose this problem to the forum before I throttle and string up the person who had no sense to "store" it where he did. Pictures are posted. I do not know what the wood is, i.e. oak, fir, etc. It was my parent's bed that I inherited when they moved years ago, and I've carried it with me everywhere for an additional 30 years, so it is about 60 yrs. old and is very important to me as my Mom passed last September. First, I know that I have to get rid of the mildew/mold right away before it eats into the wood. Secondly, the sides have cupped badly, and the moisture delaminated some of the strips on top and foot board. Can it be straightened, repaired and restored without further damaging it? Thanks everyone for your help.

dan grant
07-03-2012, 7:12 PM
first thought was its toast but if it has sentimental value clean it up as best you can and add a stain to cover the stains or you can use it as a patern and build an identical one, sorry not much help

Carl Beckett
07-03-2012, 7:21 PM
Hi Nancy, sorry this happened to an important piece.

I will just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I moved around a table that was my grandparents starter table, combined with A top I had made out of a super wide popular board we used to use for wallpaper prep. It was pretty rough even after 'restoring' it, but I still enjoyed using it simply due to the emotional attachment.

I once asked a friend about ideas of removing some of the water damage stains, and making it look better and his reply was something about 'beating a dead horse'. I just kept using it until I was ready to let it go.

There is always a way to get the structural function back, even if it involves making some new pieces, etc.

Another trick I have seen is where someone takes a piece that is in ok shape, and makes a picture frame or such from it. Still own a piece of the bed, and it can also be home to a picture of them at the same time

Sam Murdoch
07-03-2012, 9:47 PM
first thought was its toast but if it has sentimental value clean it up as best you can and add a stain to cover the stains or you can use it as a patern and build an identical one, sorry not much help

I'm with Dan, this one is good for the patterns and that's about it. The de-laminations, the severe curves, and the serious mold contamination are more damage than can readily be fixed, sorry to say. Maybe save one of the best pieces and incorporate it somehow but otherwise...

William C Rogers
07-04-2012, 8:05 AM
I agree with everyone else to use it as a pattern. I would see if there is any wood that could be incorporated into the new one so as to keep the sentimental value to some extent.

Bill

johnny means
07-04-2012, 5:18 PM
You could tear it apart, salvage any usable material and make a keepsakes box our something similar. That way you have your parents bed close by. I'm guessing, by the obvious neglect its suffered, that caring for such a large unused object wasn't something that made it to the top of the priority list. A smaller object that can be more easily integrated into your everyday life may be just the ticket.

Aaron Berk
07-04-2012, 7:33 PM
You could tear it apart, salvage any usable material and make a keepsakes box our something similar. That way you have your parents bed close by. I'm guessing, by the obvious neglect its suffered, that caring for such a large unused object wasn't something that made it to the top of the priority list. A smaller object that can be more easily integrated into your everyday life may be just the ticket.

This gets my vote.

I carried my Great Aunt's table for 10 yrs. It had been in the family for some where around the time frame of your bed. I think my Aunt was 94 when she died.
Just last yr I hauled 75% of it to the dump and kept a few of the table leafs for a future project.
I plan on delivering the completed project to my Mom, as she was closer to my Aunt than I was.

The bed pictures you posted look pretty far gone to me.
Unless your a professional furniture restorer....... I hate to be blunt......... but I think you would be in over your head trying to save that.