PDA

View Full Version : How many turnings do you complete per year?

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 3:57 PM
On the shirt tails of my last poll, this poll is about how many pieces get COMPLETED by you each year. The reason for this poll is that I thought knowing how many rough-outs people had would tell me how much people are turning, but I have a feeling that while most of us enjoy roughing green wood more than re-turning the wood after it has dried, projects actually get finished more often than I had anticipated.

So, how many bowls/HFs/other turnings do you complete per year?

NOTE: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE PENS/BOTTLE STOPPERS/AND OTHER TURNINGS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE SOME SORT OF ROUGHING. Sorry, and thanks...

James Roberts
07-03-2012, 4:11 PM
Bowls and hollow forms (the ones that don't blow up) maybe a half dozen or so a year. If you count pens, stoppers, weed pots and other goofy treen stuff then probably 40 or so. Seems like such a small amount, be curious to see poll results and what others post.

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2012, 4:31 PM
I try to rough at least 2 or maybe 3 for everyone I return and finish. This keeps me a running supply.

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 4:51 PM
This was a difficult one to narrow down because there a LOT of things that can be turned other than bowls and HFs. But I'm trying to keep things like pens, bottle stoppers, and other things that you throw on the lathe and they are done in an hour. Not that they are any less important, just than I want to get an idea of what projects get completed that don't necessarily have to right away, like stuff that gets roughed out, glued up (segmented pieces), and the likes...

Kevin Bourque
07-03-2012, 5:09 PM
It depends how many storms we have.
I got a variety of nice burls from a nasty thunder storm 2 years ago that knocked over dozens of trees around here.
Got a nice tulip poplar burl from the storm last Friday, too!

Tony De Masi
07-03-2012, 6:53 PM
If your turned half as much as you post these silly polls then maybe you would have more finished pieces.

mickey cassiba
07-03-2012, 7:08 PM
To qualify my vote...I've completed 6 bowls in my life, all within the last twelve months.

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 7:49 PM
Did you at least vote, or did you just post to bust my..., Tony?;)

Jim Underwood
07-03-2012, 7:52 PM
I couldn't even answer the question. I have no idea. I could, probably tell you how many years some of those rough-outs have been sitting there...

Kathy Marshall
07-03-2012, 11:34 PM
This may come as a surprise, but I'm in the 100+ category :eek:. Ok, maybe not much of a surprise after all :D. On average, I probably turn 3-4 pieces a week of which about 99% are turned green to finish.

Eric Gourieux
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm in the 76-100 category. Maybe 101+

charlie knighton
07-04-2012, 3:10 AM
various, some years before had health concerns and working, now heat is slowing parts of this year, i feel better at least

Fred Perreault
07-04-2012, 8:00 AM
In 2010 and 2011 I turned and sold more than 200 items each year. Bowls, platters, plates, pencil holders, toothbrush holders and winged bowls. It has been tougher the last 8 months as we are tending to serious elderly in-law issues. The income is for tools and such. More tools than such :)

Reed Gray
07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I used to turn more than 1,000 pieces a year, from bowls to rolling pins and boxes, and that was spread out with some furniture pieces. Probably like that for the last 15 years. Slowed way down now, only a couple hundred this year, as I am only doing one show this year. Want to get more into teaching.

robo hippy