PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf Bowl

Jeff Myroup
07-03-2012, 2:18 PM
I finally finished the burning on the leaf. I learned a lot burning this simple leaf. There are a couple of things I will do different next time. Over all I am happy with the final result. The bowl has a couple coats of lacquer. Once the finish is rubbed out and buffed, I will get better pictures.

Kenny Jacobson
07-03-2012, 2:45 PM
Wow, that it amazing! The 3-D effect is blowing my mind. I'm still not convinced you didn't just grab a leave and set it on the plate :)

Steve bellinger
07-03-2012, 3:09 PM
Wow, that it amazing! The 3-D effect is blowing my mind. I'm still not convinced you didn't just grab a leave and set it on the plate :)I agree, i think he's trying to fool us. :) great job man.

James Roberts
07-03-2012, 3:48 PM
Incredible. Want to pick up the leaf and see what he did underneath it. Very nice.

Jeff Myroup
07-03-2012, 4:54 PM
Thanks guys.

I never thought of actually gluing a leaf in the bottom of the bowl. It sure would have been quicker and easier. I will have to keep that in mind for next time. :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2012, 4:56 PM
Jeff - amazing work! Excellent job on creating a 3-D effect! Like I mentioned on Facebook - about as real as it gets! Looking forward to seeing some additional photos when possible!

Jeff Myroup
07-03-2012, 5:32 PM
Thanks Steve. This will be my last turning for about a month. I just started a large 11"x14" burning for a auction in august. But I should be able to get some good pics in about a week. I still have to do the gilding on the Mona Lisa piece.

Scott Hackler
07-03-2012, 6:52 PM
Very cool Jeff. If you get another maple leaf to do, I wonder how a lightly dyed leaf (say orange or yellow hue) would look. I mean it already looks soooo real, the coloring would really top it off. My only concern would be the bleed factor.

Again, really cool. I love it!

Deane Allinson
07-03-2012, 6:55 PM
First class. I'm glad you posted progressive photos. It lets us see the process and how the piece goes from good to fantastic. I also notice that you know just when to stop.
Deane

Jeff Myroup
07-03-2012, 7:09 PM
Very cool Jeff. If you get another maple leaf to do, I wonder how a lightly dyed leaf (say orange or yellow hue) would look. I mean it already looks soooo real, the coloring would really top it off. My only concern would be the bleed factor.

Again, really cool. I love it!

Thanks Scott. I do plan on doing one in autumn colors at some point. I want to use an airbrush and dye. That should help with any bleeding. Either that or primsa color markers and alcohol to blend them. I do need to practice first.

First class. I'm glad you posted progressive photos. It lets us see the process and how the piece goes from good to fantastic. I also notice that you know just when to stop.
Deane

Thanks Deane, The shading is the hard part. I found if I go to light it gets lost when you apply the finish and the wood darkens a bit.

Kathy Marshall
07-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Amazing 3-D effect Jeff! I keep going back to look at it and I'd swear there is a real leaf on it! Excellent job!

charlie knighton
07-04-2012, 3:06 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Tim Chase
07-04-2012, 3:53 AM
Very impressive hope to see these at TOC

Russ Massery
07-04-2012, 8:02 AM
Excellent job Jeff! Could you bring with you Monday night? I'd like to see in person.

Jeff Myroup
07-04-2012, 8:36 AM
Thanks everyone.

Tim, I will probably bring it to TOC. I have not decided yet.

Russ, I will bring it Monday if I can make the meeting. I might have to work.

Jon Nuckles
07-04-2012, 5:35 PM
Hard to believe it is not real!

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Jeff that is beautiful and amazing work.

Josh Bowman
07-05-2012, 5:57 AM
Wow. I thought it looked great before you high lighted it. That looks like a real leaf.

Jeff Myroup
07-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks Guys, I added some color after the burn. I used mainly copper and bronze color with a little white. This was my first time using water color pencils. I like the subtle transparent effect you can get with them and they blend very well.

Roger Chandler
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Another beauty! Jeff, your pyrography is so artistic.........certainly among the best I have ever seen!

Michael E. Thompson
07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Looks great Jeff. 3D look is impressive. Keep it up.