PDA

View Full Version : Quickest/Cleanest Method of Cutting 1" Electrical Metallic Tubing

Keith Starosta
07-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I've got a whole bunch of 1" EMT to cut up, and want to do it the cleanest and quickest way possible. I'm figuring my options are:

- Hacksaw
- Jigsaw
- Mitresaw
- ???

I've got a number of metal-cutting jigsaw blades, but wonder if getting a metal-cutting blade for the mitresaw would be a better method. Any input would be appreciated!!

- Keith

Eric DeSilva
07-03-2012, 11:42 AM
What about using a pipe cutter like these: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heav-Duty-Pipe-Cutters/EN/index.htm?

Something like that I what I always used to cut copper plumbing line.

Jim Koepke
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
+1 on the pipe/tubing cutter.

You may want to make or buy a tool to ream off the ridge it can leave on the inside of the cut pieces.

jtk

Harry Hagan
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Keith,

You can’t have it both ways (quick or clean) without spending some $$$$.

Eric’s suggestion is certainly clean and inexpensive, but time consuming.

A metal-cutting blade is quick, but certainly not clean; and you’d have to clean the burrs off each cut. The debris from the abrasive blade and metal filings will damage a miter saw’s inner workings and melt the plastic housing.

Use a dedicated chop saw if you go with the abrasive wheel:

Bruce Page
07-03-2012, 2:07 PM
Keith, I recently cut 24 pieces of ¾” EMT for a drying rack. I pondered the options you listed and went with the hacksaw and bi-metal blade. It was much easier than I anticipated, taking less than 30 seconds per cut. I squared up the ends on my disk sander.

Prashun Patel
07-03-2012, 2:28 PM
I've used an angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel. If you draw a good line around the whole thing, it's easy to stay vertical with the grinder. You could alternatively clean up the cut line with a belt sander.

David G Baker
07-03-2012, 2:35 PM
I frequently use a hacksaw that is human powered. If you plan on running wire through the pipe you will have to clean up the cut ends or the wire may be sliced during pulling it through the pipe. If I have pieces small enough to fit in my metal lathe I use that to clean up the ends with a reamer, file or sandpaper. I have also used a metal chop saw that gives a fairly square cut and is by far the fastest way to cut a lot of pipe. I have used regular pipe cutters to cut EMT but it has a tendency to press the cut edges in and make them harder to clean up properly.

Myk Rian
07-03-2012, 3:23 PM
All the electricians I've ever worked with used a pipe cutter.

Kevin Bourque
07-03-2012, 3:34 PM
All the electricians I've ever worked with used a pipe cutter.

Yep, same here.

Bob Coleman
07-03-2012, 4:05 PM
A pipe cutter is quick and cheap in my opinion (of course, mine was 75 cents at a garage sale), EMT is thin walled so going through it only takes a few turns on the cutter.

You can use a utility knife to ream the burr from the inside of the cut pipe, the blade is hard enough and will last longer than you think.

Matt Marsh
07-03-2012, 4:53 PM
Here is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY3530NQMKW-15-6-Volt-Cordless-Circular/dp/B00009KDGV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341347881&sr=8-2&keywords=panasonic+metal+saw

Pipe cutters are generally not a real acceptable means because they leave such a sharp in-turned edge that's nearly impossible to ream adaquately. I do use one occasionally in places where I can't get a saw into, but I usually use my Panasonic metal cutting saw, or a hand powered hacksaw with a 32 TPI blade whenever possible. The 32 TPI is a huge help!

You didn't say if you were cutting it up for use in an electrical installation, but if you are, the NEC requires trimmed edges to be reamed both inside and outside. I have a specially modified pair of 420 channelocks that have the end couple inches of the handles ground square to give them an edge. I ream the inside with both handles inserted into the end of the tubing, and ream the outside with the teeth. Klien tools also makes a handy inside/outside reamer with their traditional rubber handle on it.

Alan Bienlein
07-03-2012, 7:48 PM
We always used a sawzall with a fine tooth blade and cleaned it up with the proper size reaming tool or a pair of channel lock pliers.