PDA

View Full Version : Router bit height issue

Chris Campise
07-03-2012, 8:19 AM
Hi All!

I'm trying to roundover an inside edge of a square frame that's attached to a toybox I'm building. I'd like a slight shoulder on the edge along with the roundover but the issue I'm having is that the screw holding the bearing on the 1/4" radius roundover bit is hitting the toybox. This prevents me from lowering the bit enough to create the shoulder. If I wanted just a plain roundover I have the clearance available for that - just not the shoulder.

Any tips or tricks on doing this? I was looking at purchasing one of those Amana miniature roundover bits which look like might buy me the clearance I need, but I'd rather use what I have if possible without purchasing something I'd rarely use. :confused:

-Chris

Phil Thien
07-03-2012, 8:30 AM
The stock screws that hold the bearings are typically socket cap screws, which have a sort of tall head. Would it be possible to go to a hardware store and find a screw with a slightly shorter head? Or would that still not be enough clearance?

Chris Campise
07-03-2012, 9:28 AM
It's definitely a socket cap screw. I think I need just a hair shy of 1/8" of extra clearance to make this work - which might be the size of the screw head. I'll see what the big box stores have for screws.

pat warner
07-03-2012, 9:40 AM
Use an ovolo with an edge guide.

Mike Heidrick
07-03-2012, 9:54 AM
Hand scrape.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
It's definitely a socket cap screw. I think I need just a hair shy of 1/8" of extra clearance to make this work - which might be the size of the screw head. I'll see what the big box stores have for screws.

Look for a button head or pan head screw in the same size and length of thread. The button head will give you the most clearance.236002

Jerry Miner
07-04-2012, 1:39 AM
You can remove the screw and the bearing, then use the bit with an edge guide, as Pat warner suggested.

or

I have ground off the screw head to almost nothing, just enough to hold the bearing in, made the cut, then removed the screw with visegrips and replaced the screw

Carl Beckett
07-04-2012, 7:34 AM
Sometimes you can just grind down the top of the SHCS (socket head cap screw) to get the clearance you need and still have enough to hold the bearing.

Chris Campise
07-05-2012, 7:35 AM
I took the advice of grinding down the top of the SHCS and it worked like a charm. It gave me just enough clearance to put a shoulder on my roundover. Thanks for the tip!