PDA

View Full Version : Fence for Delta 28-185 Bandsaw

David Moore CA
07-02-2012, 9:32 PM
I recently acquired one of these little bandsaws. I see the fence for it is discontinued. Probably a long shot but thought I'd see if anyone has one of the fences they want to get rid of? (Maybe their saw gave up the ghost or whatever). Also does anyone have any suggestions on blades for this saw? I checked with Suffolk and it sounded like the Timberwolf blades might be too thick for this little saw. Also three extra blades with 20 teeth per inch came with the saw. I assume these are for metal work, although it seems the RPMs are too high to cut metal with this. Is there any other use for these bands?

Mark Engel
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I have had one of these bandsaws for several years. Bought it new. It did not come with a fence. It did come with a miter gauge. I usually just clamp a chunk of wood to the table for a fence. Whatever is handy.

I have used lots of different blades with the saw. The Delta blades are pretty good. Probably the best, longest lasting blades (imo) have been the SuperCut carbide impregnated blades. But, honestly, I have used Carter, Olsen, etc. blades and they all worked well. It's not like you are going to do any heavy duty cutting or resaw with this machine. It really excels at curved cuts using a 1/8" or 1/4" blade. It is also great for ripping thin stock, or cutting off corners prior to sanding a radius.

Great little machine I wouldn't want to live without.

David Moore CA
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks Mark. Yeah, the fence was a $20 accessory at one time and I'll probably end up doing the piece-of-wood-as-fence routine unless I get lucky. I may try a SuperCut three wheeler blade although I hate to put out $10 shipping to try a blade which it looks like what the main seller (Magnate) charges. Were you able to find the 56 1/18 inch blades at a chain store or did you have to do mail order?

Kevin W Johnson
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
A piece of Corian would make a good fence. Stable, won't warp, hold moisture, swell, shrink, etc.