PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Pens

Lee Koepke
07-02-2012, 8:53 PM
I was asked by my Admin Asst at work to make some pens for her wedding party last month. They got married right on the Tallapoosa River here in W. Georgia, the bend in the river used to have some sort of mill / bridge / wooden structure in the water. They pulled out a couple of sections of this heart pine and thats what I used. Little did I know .... she had 12 people she wanted pens for :eek::eek:, and of course, I had to make one for the wedding couple too!! I used gun metal Patrizio pens for the party and the Bride, and a Cigar Pen for the Groom.

The 'display' you see is a slice off a hackberry tree (i think) that I got off one of my jobsites....this crotch piece will make an incredible bowl or two, when I get around to it!!!

Thanks for looking

Rich Aldrich
07-02-2012, 9:19 PM
Nice work. I really like the Hackberry. I just started making pens. I made 28 small bowls for my daughters wedding this past April.

Jim Burr
07-02-2012, 9:21 PM
Nice Lee!!! I am up against the same issue...but the customer is my daughter! I have a plan for something amazing that hasn't been done yet. You did a great job and a memorable one at that! Those pens will be treasured for years!

Noah Barfield
07-02-2012, 9:35 PM
Nicely done! That's a wedding gift that everyone will be sure to hang on to!

How did you finish the pens?

Noah

Lee Koepke
07-02-2012, 9:39 PM
Thanks everyone.
Noah, I used CA finish for the pens.

James Combs
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Very nice, its not a wedding but I will be putting together several pens for my church Brotherhood. The brotherhood is tearing down an old house the church recently purchased next door. I plan on giving each individual that worked on the demolition a souvenir pen made from the house timbers. The house is probably 125-150 years old. I am hoping to find some old oak flooring or some other hardwood to make the pens from. So far everything has been spruce or poplar. Poplar would be better then the spruce but it is not very colorful. Still a lot to look through before making the pens though. I think one room has oak flooring, I know the other rooms are all T&G pine.

Baxter Smith
07-03-2012, 8:29 AM
Nice work on all the pens!

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2012, 9:43 AM
Very nice work on all of the pens Lee! I like how you managed to preserve a little bit of history at the same time! Love the rich coloring!

Lee Koepke
07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Very nice work on all of the pens Lee! I like how you managed to preserve a little bit of history at the same time! Love the rich coloring!

thanks ... production turning isnt my first choice, but sometimes it works out that way. In my 'real job' we demo'd an old high school that was built at the turn of the century, it was a very sentimental moment for quite a few in this small alabama town.... I salvaged a few 8x8 heart pine timbers that supported the school and will be making pens for the school board members, all of which had attended that school.

James Combs
07-03-2012, 12:27 PM
thanks ... production turning isnt my first choice, but sometimes it works out that way. In my 'real job' we demo'd an old high school that was built at the turn of the century, it was a very sentimental moment for quite a few in this small alabama town.... I salvaged a few 8x8 heart pine timbers that supported the school and will be making pens for the school board members, all of which had attended that school.
Excellent, memories and sentiments make some of the best pens as well as other items.

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2012, 2:19 PM
Those are really nice pens Lee. That is some nicely colored wood.