PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried sodablasting to remove old finish/stain?

Harlan Theaker
07-02-2012, 7:27 PM
I'm currently working on refinishing a bed frame (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188578-I-m-having-a-problem-with-Strippers-Refinishing-a-Mahogany-Bed-Frame)

Because the frame has a lot of carved/intricate detail, I'm finding that using a chemical stripper isn't working nearly as well as I had hoped. The stripper works great on flat surfaces, but poorly everywhere else. I've found the only way I can get into the small detail areas is using a wire brush, but this leaves scratches all over.

After spending some time on google last night I saw some info/videos on sodablasting. A lot of what I read claims it won't damage the wood as soda is much softer than sandblasting which would probably destroy the piece.

Anyways, I already have the compressor and I've seen a few smaller units for sale
http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-portable-soda-blaster-67625.html (http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-portable-soda-blaster-67625.html)
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-soda-blaster.html that I'd love to try out, but don't want to waste my money if they aren't going to work or will damage the wood significantly.

The videos I've seen look promising, but they are probably using machines that cost a lot more than these examples. I've also looked into having a local company do it, but at $225/hr with a 3 hour minimum, I'd rather buy the machine and do it myself (assuming it will work)

Has anyone tried this before or own either of the machines above or something similar?

sheldon pettit
07-02-2012, 8:51 PM
I've had 5 sand blasters in my career plus small ones like paasche' air eraser, i have also used sand, silicone carbide, walnut shells, 4-6 f pumice, aluminum oxides down to 4000 grit, and even rotten stone and tripoli and mountain crystals among others. You can do a decent job with soda or others but you have to understand the bounce back issue with carved areas etc.. Works well with flat surfaces at the proper angles but carvings ---- if your not careful you can destroy or at least deform them. Not trying to talk you out of it but do samples if you go that route till you become skilled in their use ok?

Personally for the cost and lack of oft uses, i don't think there worth the money but they do come in handy on occasion. sometimes you can rent the larger ones from AtoZ rental type places for a day, that might be the way to go if you want to find out without spending lots of money ok? you only have to buy the soda. if your not happy with the results, which i think will be 50/50 at most in your case, try other strippers and use soft brass brushes not steel ones ok? Steel brushes are way to coarse!!

Also keep in mind that pro strippers or companies or re finisher spend 80% plus of their time doing things like what your attempting, that is where the main cost of the job lies not in applying the color and coatings. We use sanding wheels, sanders of various types, scouring pads sand papers, and or anything else necessary to do the job, its more about the know-how and experience than a certain piece of equipment, many a year has been spent hand sanding with shop made devices to get into turnings and crevices by hand where no machine is capable of doing, it's a time and material thing ok? good luck.

Harlan Theaker
07-04-2012, 6:24 PM
Appreciate the detailed response. I do understand that it will take a long time, but again, not being a professional refinisher by any means, I'm looking for the easiest way to achieve good results. We actually have several pieces that I would consider refinishing so if I was to buy a machine, it wouldn't be a one time use.

The machines I linked to are fairly small and imo relatively inexpensive if they work... but that's the big question. I built a very makeshift blaster using 1/2" tubing, an air gun/sprayer and a small box of baking soda just to try it out. This seemed to work, albeit very slowly, so I'm not sure if one of these other machines would have either more pressure or a better flow. Assuming they did work I think it would be a good investment, but if it didn't I'd obviously have really no use for it.

sheldon pettit
07-04-2012, 9:12 PM
Situation understood!! That said, you might want to try this, purchase one from a big box store or sears or Penny's etc, wherever they have a no hassle return policy and set it up use it, see the results, and if you don't like it return it and get your money back. Of course you could do this online, but it's a hassle in returning it compared to what I've noted. I don't do this often, but when trying something out that i'm not familiar with enough to know for sure what the outcome will be as compared to what I'm looking for or needing, i don't hesitate to do so, i even ask them right then and there if it's going to be a problem returning it if it doesn't do what i want, so they know there's a 50/50 chance it's coming back. I also make sure to buy it early in the morning and if its not working out i take it back the same day.

Secondly: you may want to try other abrasives like rottenstone which are slightly more aggressive or even 6/0 pumice or walnut shells ground fine from a boat finishing supply place if you have one local ok? Also always keep in mind that the more powerful it is the more damage it can do, lower pressure = better control and results ok?