PDA

View Full Version : Tung Oil Finish Over Inlace?

Eric Sayre
07-02-2012, 3:42 PM
My favorite peppermill finish is tung oil. I recently acquired some gorgeous peppermill blanks that have voids that I will probably fill with inlace or equivalent. Would any of you recommend using tung oil over the inlace or turquoise/epoxy, or would it be smarter to use a surface coating on these peppermills?

I prefer the penetrating finishes such as tung oil on kitchen accessories to avoid the "wear-through" look that surface finishes eventually get.

Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Jim Burr
07-02-2012, 9:25 PM
I've done some inlay work...stone, coral and the like. WOP worked well and has yet to fail on our daily grinder...8 years of hourly use!!

David DeCristoforo
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Inlace is impervious. It's resin and will polish without any finish. It will not absorb tung oil. So i would polish the inlace and then oil finish the mills as you usually do. The oil will simply wipe off the inlaid areas.

Eric Sayre
07-03-2012, 2:35 PM
Jim, how many coats of WOP did you use on your daily grinder?

David, I was hoping this was the case. I just wanted to confirm that there would be no issues.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim Burr
07-03-2012, 3:30 PM
Jim, how many coats of WOP did you use on your daily grinder?

That's a good question! I put it on with a sponge brush which means it's thick. I keep the lathe running to level it from 50 to 1000 rpm. I'd guess about 10 coats....knocked down with 0000 steelwool after 3,6 and 9th coats. The kitchen is a very abusive environment!

Eric Sayre
07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
That's a good question! I put it on with a sponge brush which means it's thick. I keep the lathe running to level it from 50 to 1000 rpm. I'd guess about 10 coats....knocked down with 0000 steelwool after 3,6 and 9th coats. The kitchen is a very abusive environment!

Wow. I can understand why it still looks good! I'll bet that's a really pretty coating. I may try that. Thanks, Jim.