PDA

View Full Version : Miter slot too wide and wider at one end.

Richard Hutchings
07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
After my last project invloving miters, I decide to get my self a good miter gauge so I bought this "Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge". Works great on my TS and BS but where I realy wanted it to help is on my Rikon disc and belt sander. The miter gauge that came with it is really loose so I figured a new adjustable one would be just the ticket but I can't adjust it because not only is the slot too wide but it's taperd by about .020". I need a way to build up the edge and recut a slot that matches my other tools. Any ideas?

Wes Grass
07-02-2012, 1:14 PM
I'd try filling it with Devcon plastic steel, with a wood strip down the middle to save epoxy. Like maybe 5/8-11/16" wide. And then either carefully align some guides and rout it out, or mill it if you have the ability.

An alternate is to shim a known straight guide bar and pot it in place after waxing everything you don't want stuck. But it might not be easy to remove after the epoxy cures.

Richard Hutchings
07-02-2012, 1:57 PM
Thanks Wes, I think I like your second suggestion. I can experiment on scrap. I see Ace Hardware carries Devcon plastic steel so I'll stop there tonight.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2012, 11:55 PM
You can buy UHMW tape which is almost as slick as teflon only much tougher. Apply one or more layers to the miter slot. You might need 3 layers in the wide area and only one in the narrow area. McMaster Carr sells UHMW tape as do other sources. I used this on my stock craftsman miter gauge until I replaced it with an Kreg Miter Gauge. Apply the tape to the miter slot not the miter bar so your miter gauge remains useable on other equipment.

Mike Heidrick
07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
I would add a baltic birch sub table with a new track. Drill the current CI table and use T nuts in the BB to attach.

Richard Hutchings
07-04-2012, 7:33 AM
If building up the edges with Devcon doesn't work, this will be next. Thanks Mike.

I would add a baltic birch sub table with a new track. Drill the current CI table and use T nuts in the BB to attach.

Richard Hutchings
07-04-2012, 7:37 AM
Lee, I have some tape like that. It's actually for drawer slides but I don't think I would like the stepped effect.

You can buy UHMW tape which is almost as slick as teflon only much tougher. Apply one or more layers to the miter slot. You might need 3 layers in the wide area and only one in the narrow area. McMaster Carr sells UHMW tape as do other sources. I used this on my stock craftsman miter gauge until I replaced it with an Kreg Miter Gauge. Apply the tape to the miter slot not the miter bar so your miter gauge remains useable on other equipment.

Mike Heidrick
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Another benefit to a wood sub top is that it is easy to screw on jigs like long tapering jigs to join thin wood together.

Also if you dont want to drill the CI just use some rare earth magnets and cups in the bottom of the wood and make it wrap the outside edges of the table.

You can also use laminate for smoothness and make the table much larger.

Richard Hutchings
07-04-2012, 2:11 PM
I like it. I might do that even if the buildup works.

Another benefit to a wood sub top is that it is easy to screw on jigs like long tapering jigs to join thin wood together.

Also if you dont want to drill the CI just use some rare earth magnets and cups in the bottom of the wood and make it wrap the outside edges of the table.

You can also use laminate for smoothness and make the table much larger.