PDA

View Full Version : Finally scored a No. 62...........(pic)

John Dingman
04-06-2005, 1:36 PM
I have been shopping for a while for a decent No. 62 that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. I checked with all of my suppliers and they were coming up empty. So, I resorted to the online tool store, and I found this in my price range:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/No.%2062%20Low%20Angle%20Jack%20002.jpg

Worked great right out of the box. Now that don't happen too often.:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking!
John

p.s. I have given up on the No. 164 (vintage) as I will never be able to justify that kind of coin for a single plane. But, the search continues. ;)

p.s.s. A special thanks to Walt Quadrato for helping me with the Bid Amount. :D

Roy Wall
04-06-2005, 1:44 PM
Excellent John---looks great!!
congrats!!!

Dan Moening
04-06-2005, 1:52 PM
That's a fine pile of curls there, John!

I keep hoping I'll stumble onto something nice in the wild, but all I ever seem to find are a glut of #5s.

Does that adjuster do both depth and lateral?

Cool.

John Dingman
04-06-2005, 2:06 PM
That's a fine pile of curls there, John!

I keep hoping I'll stumble onto something nice in the wild, but all I ever seem to find are a glut of #5s.

Does that adjuster do both depth and lateral?

Cool.Dan,

Just depth adjustment. The blade almost touches on each side so it stays pretty square.

John

Derek Cohen
04-07-2005, 8:56 AM
Hi John

LN make great blades for the #62. I put one in mine.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Dingman
04-07-2005, 9:22 AM
Hi John

LN make great blades for the #62. I put one in mine.

Regards from Perth

DerekDerek,

Appreciate the information. I'll check it out!

Thanks,
John

Dennis McDonaugh
04-07-2005, 9:44 AM
Great looking plane John. I've been trying to buy on on e-bay for years. I hang in for $300 and they go for $325. I drop out at $225 and they go for $235. One day I'll get it right.

Derek Cohen
04-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Keep at it Dennis. I paid about $80 for mine about a year ago, but it did need restoration. Below is the "after" picture.

Remember, you can add a HA blade to it for gnarley grain. Try a microbevel of 52 degrees, giving a cutting angle of 64 degrees. Bliss!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Scoggins
04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
John,

Looks like a nice plane! You indicated:

Worked great right out of the box. Now that don't happen too often.
Boy, that is a rarity, especially for a vintage used plane picked up off of "that auction site." That being said, I'm curious: are you going to have to do anything in the way of restoration (e.g., can't quite tell condition of japanning from the photo)?

Anyway, congratulations, and glad you still have all your extremities in spite of the "new" plane. :D

Mike

John Dingman
04-07-2005, 1:12 PM
John,

Looks like a nice plane! You indicated:

Boy, that is a rarity, especially for a vintage used plane picked up off of "that auction site." That being said, I'm curious: are you going to have to do anything in the way of restoration (e.g., can't quite tell condition of japanning from the photo)?

Anyway, congratulations, and glad you still have all your extremities in spite of the "new" plane. :D

MikeThanks Mike,

The japanning is still in real good condition. There is no rust or pitting anywhere. So I think I'll leave this one as is. Speaking of new planes, you should see yours Today! :D

Enjoy it!
John

Mike Scoggins
04-07-2005, 1:15 PM
John,

Can't wait! I am anxious to see what package awaits me when I go home this evening. Am I grinnin'? :D

Thanks,
Mike