PDA

View Full Version : Rail and stile bits

Rick Potter
07-02-2012, 2:51 AM
I am curious. Why are one piece rail and stile bits not more popular. I have both types and much prefer the one piece....no fooling around, and it fits.

I can see the two piece being more adjustable with the shims and all, but then again, I have two one piece bits and never had a need to adjust anything. They are also easier to use because you just move the bit up and down for the rails and stiles, with no fence movement to change bits needed.

So, what am I missing? There must be good reasons the two piece are much more common.

Rick Potter

david paul miller
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
to accommodate different thicknesses of material.

Rick Potter
07-03-2012, 3:35 AM
Thanks David,

Since I only use 5/8 to 3/4 wood, I probably would never have thought of that.

Rick Potter

Mike Heidrick
07-03-2012, 9:34 AM
Also to adjust for plywood thicknesses as panels. You can add cutters for glass and other removeable panels, and you can adjust for sharpenings. Some router bits like the Premier adjustable freuds have additional cutters to allow for double sided profiling.

Rick Potter
07-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I have an Amana 'In-stile/rail' bit set that is adjustable from real thin plywood panels to 1/2" panels. Got it in a package deal, but will probably never use it. As I told David, I never thought of adjusting one, as I have never had occasion to make flat panel doors, just raised panels. Funny how you can get myopic when you have limited talent.

Rick Potter