PDA

View Full Version : Sassafras

Scot Roberge
07-02-2012, 1:06 AM
So I've been feeling a bit guilty for a while - seeing as how I've learned so much from the SMC community and haven't posted anything but questions. So here' my first post of a piece of my work. It's a piece of sassafras I finished a few days ago. Cut down and roughed out 1/09, spent a year in bag and two more sitting on my workbench. It measures 5.5" in diameter and 3.1" tall. Laquer, wipe on poly and buffed. Comments and critique appreciated.

ray hampton
07-02-2012, 1:14 AM
outstanding work

charlie knighton
07-02-2012, 2:23 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Roger Chandler
07-02-2012, 7:06 AM
Nice looking work on that..........I wish you had shown the bottom and the inside a little more with a couple more pics.......just from what I see, I like the nice thin walls, and you did a good job with sanding.........no sanding marks from the pics or tool marks.

don't be shy about posting your work...........looks like you are doing well!

Dennis Ford
07-02-2012, 8:16 AM
It looks very nice. A somewhat unusual shape that fits the wood well.

Scott Lux
07-02-2012, 8:33 AM
Great looking piece.

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Scot - glad to see you posting your work! Looks like some real pretty wood! Bet it smelled great while turning!

Deane Allinson
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Really nice piece. I haven't turned Sassiafras but I gave useded it in flat work. It was kind of a bear. A little brittle and prone to tearing with a plane. Great jog on this nice piece nice finish too.
Deane

James Combs
07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
It is always great to see something different and when it is such a great looking vessel so much the better.

Scot Roberge
07-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks to all for the encouraging words. I am to the point that my pieces are coming out a pretty consistent quality, but I realize I have a lot to learn about form. It's seems easy to recognize nice form, but so hard to create it!

Roger:
[I wish you had shown the bottom and the inside a little more with a couple more pics.......just from what I see, I like the nice thin walls . . .]
I'll try to include pictures of the bottoms in the future. The bottom on this one has a 5/16" ring around the perimeter that it sits on and about a 1/16" flat depression in the center. Wall and bottom thickness are 1/4". It warped so far out of round in drying that I was sweating having enough material to true it up.

Steve:
[Bet it smelled great while turning!]
Yeah, the shop smelled so good I just wanted to stay out there and enjoy.

Baxter Smith
07-03-2012, 8:26 AM
Looking forward to seeing what else you have turned Scot. Someone gave me a couple pieces of the stuff last summer. The smell alone made it a pleasure to turn. The color is quite pretty as well though I have yet to finish any of my roughouts.