PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor furniture - designs to deter wasps and insects?

Stephen Tashiro
07-01-2012, 11:52 PM
In designing outdoor wooden furniture, what are some design principles that would deter paper wasps from building nests in it? What can be done to deter other insects. (This isn't a question about a specific design, so I didn't post it in the design forum.)

Some specific musings:

1. Does cedar deter insects?

2. Does pressure treated lumber deter insects?

3. Do wasps tend to build nests in locations where they sense that they are sheltered from wind and rain? If so, would it be best to leave small gaps in the seats of chairs and the tops of tables to "let the weather in"?

Van Huskey
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Sorry, I don't have anything I think is a real answer but the first thing that came to mind was dragonfly inlays...

Rick Fisher
07-02-2012, 4:25 AM
I know that wasps don't prefer cedar but they will build a nest in a cedar tree, using other woods as pulp .. lol

Mason bees will burrow homes in Cedar in our area.. they don't sting .. maybe they are weird..

Latest thing is these fake paper wasp nests.. Apparently they work .. They look like mature nests .. Wasps are like Gangsters.. seeing another gangs shack freaks them out .. they take off.. I guess Bee's and Wasps will hunt down a trespasser and kick his butt .. I dunno ..

Hmm.. There is a cedar gazebo on the Golf Course.. 100% Cedar .. made off timber from the property .. Every year there are wasp nests inside .. Its almost a hazard..

Lex Boegen
07-02-2012, 7:37 AM
I had one of those plastic yard chairs from the BORG that resembled an Adirondack chair, and wasps built a nest on the bottom of it. I found out the hard way when one stuck his stinger up between the slats and nailed me in a spot no man ever wants stung! So no, I don't think that adding gaps "to let the weather in" would be of any benefit. :D