PDA

View Full Version : Medium Shoulder Plane LN vs LV

Brian Cameron
07-01-2012, 8:19 PM
I am going to buy a Medium Shoulder plane and , seeing that the diff in price is minimal, either one of these would be an excellent choice. Is there any discernable diff in them or just users choice?
Brian

David Weaver
07-01-2012, 8:51 PM
I have both LN and LV planes (shoulders). The medium LV and the large LN. A large one tends to get pulled in to do tasks that are not necessarily trimming shoulders (in fact, I've never trimmed a shoulder with it).

The medium, well, I haven't trimmed a shoulder with it in a couple of years, but it's nice. In the case that you use the thing for something other than shoulders and have to grip it in line, I think you'll appreciate the fixtures on the LV version, and it would be my first choice.

glenn bradley
07-01-2012, 9:17 PM
This will be a personal choice like a lot of hand tools. Some folks love the LN while others cannot figure out how to hold onto the thing. Some find the LV fingerholes bothersome while others enjoy the added control. I was lucky enough to see both at a show and got to go back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth) to get a decent amount of time with each. The LV works best for me but, I'm not you ;-)

Rick Fisher
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I own a LV Shoulder plane and have played with the LN equivalent. I prefer the Lee Valley version better ..

Mike Henderson
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I've owned both types and prefer the LV.

Mike

Sean D Evans
07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
I have the LN medium and wish I had bought the LV. The LN is difficult and uncomfortable to hold. One handed is especially difficult. A large LN is probably easier to get a grip on. Otherwise it is excellent.

Scott Stafford
07-02-2012, 5:10 AM
Yep, owned both and now only own the Veritas (Lee Valley).

Jim R Edwards
07-02-2012, 8:04 AM
Lee Valley

Brian Cameron
07-02-2012, 5:22 PM
Thanks guys...pretty solid endorsements for the LV

Peter Hawser
07-02-2012, 6:57 PM
Hey, if it's not too late I like my Lee Valley too. Really thinking about the bigger one, but there are so many tools to buy,

Don Dorn
07-02-2012, 7:44 PM
I have a large LN and a small LV. I use the large more, but for those that find it difficult to use, try pulling it - it fits the hand much better. I read somewhere that is the method they were meant to be used - After trying it, discovered that that it works extremely well.

Scott Stafford
07-02-2012, 8:01 PM
Hey Peter, I also own the large LV shoulder plane but seldom, seldom use it. Perhaps I reach for my LV skewed block plane instead?

Scott in Montana

Carl Beckett
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey Peter, I also own the large LV shoulder plane but seldom, seldom use it. Perhaps I reach for my LV skewed block plane instead?

Scott in Montana

+1 on this. Was working some pieces this weekend ( tenons, et al ) having the medium LN shoulder and the LV skewed block. Kept putting the shoulder plane down and reaching for the skewed block plane

Quesne Ouaques
07-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I have the LV medium and I really do love it. I'm using it at the moment to cut a finger grip rabbet around the bottom edge of a presentation cutting board. It's a real joy to use and the adjustments are fine and accurate.

Jim Leslie
07-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I have the LV and love it.

James Owen
07-03-2012, 1:23 AM
LN...I like the traditional styling and I find it very comfortable in my hand for both pushing and pulling.

Gary Herrmann
07-03-2012, 2:36 PM
LV for me.