PDA

View Full Version : How many rough-outs do you have?

Mike Cruz
07-01-2012, 6:30 PM
Okay, I've been hearing a bunch of folks saying that they have more rough-outs sitting around than they have space for! So, it makes me wonder... How many rough-outs does the average guy have sitting around? (Let's not make this an average vs mean discussion...;))

I'll start: I have a measely and embarrassing 21

Roger Chandler
07-01-2012, 7:08 PM
At the current moment..........only one..........a walnut crotch platter with a beautiful feather in the grain.......looking forward to completing it soon..............perhaps this week if I can find the time............I need to get busy, because I have a demo on Saturday [lidded boxes] and I need to make at least one more of those before Saturday [it will be turned to finish] and get some blanks cut for the demo as well.

Russell Eaton
07-01-2012, 7:30 PM
I have 30+ right now. Half are hollow forms, the rest bowls.

Scott Hackler
07-01-2012, 7:47 PM
I only have about 3 right now, because I haven't been turning much so far this year. Hopefully that number will increase after this weekend!

Dennis Ford
07-01-2012, 9:10 PM
I have not counted them in a long time but the 50 -100 range was an easy choice. I think there are about 60.

Lee Koepke
07-01-2012, 9:19 PM
i have one left now! Since getting my Jet 1642, I have made a boatload of pens for a wedding party ..... this weekend, I worked on cleaning up my shop and finishing up some of the roughs I had sitting around. Nice to turn something 'real'

James Roberts
07-01-2012, 9:40 PM
I only have 6 right now but have had as many as 12 at one time. I need more shop time:(.

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2012, 9:40 PM
Without counting all the blanks... under 50 but more than 30. Used to have twice that but have managed to finish a few every now and then! Reminds me that I need to start doing some green turning again!

Ron Bontz
07-01-2012, 9:50 PM
I only rough out a few a year. Lack of space.

Dale Miner
07-01-2012, 9:54 PM
A few over 200 at last count about six months ago. More have been roughed than finished since then.

Bob Bergstrom
07-01-2012, 9:55 PM
Is that counting the ones with cracks?

Thomas Canfield
07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
There was not a minimum size given. I said the 50-100 like Dennis because it was an easy guess, but know that there are at least that many over 8" and about 50 plus in the under 4" that I do with the little PSI expanding collet. Green bowls and turnings are so much easier than the finishing.

Baxter Smith
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM
About a year ago, I decided I needed more storage space for roughouts. I built more shelves and counted at the time. Some over 150 bowls and 50 hollowforms at the time.

I thought this past winter I might try and finish something for every new roughout.:rolleyes: That didn't come close to happening! Better luck next year! :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
I am getting close to 100. Everytime I take a rough out and finish it I always rough out at least 2 to 4 to replace it. Most of mine are utility bowls, platters and canisters. I generally don't have any vases because I take them to finish in one sitting.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Including hollow forms and bowls I have around 150. I found an unused high shelf in our warehouse and where I store them. Given that it takes at least a year or two to dry a rough out, it makes sense to keep a flow. I keep saying I have enough for now then a wood find comes along that is too good to pass up. That means more rough outs. Friday a friend called to invite me along to help dispose of a black cherry. It was 30" in diameter and 16 feet to the first branch. My take yielded three 19" x 8" bowl blanks and a half dozen big hollow forms and an assortment of soon to be calabash rough outs. The three big bowl blanks will be another 9 rough outs. So by next weekend my count will jump again. It is nice to have an assortment to choose from when you want to finish up something.
faust

Jon Nuckles
07-02-2012, 12:09 AM
51 to 100 right now because things have been slow new wood-wise. Unfortunately, I generally finish turn the best of the dry ones first, so the ones that remain are not my favorites.

Lionel Mercier
07-02-2012, 4:10 PM
only a few,
because I've noticed that often, rough out are forgotten under the spider web...:(
and one does not remember the first idea :confused:

Mike Cruz
07-02-2012, 4:44 PM
Wow, I'm very surprised at the results so far. I actually expected there to be a lot more people with hundreds and hundreds...

Jim Underwood
07-02-2012, 7:06 PM
About 70. I was looking for something to make the shape challenge bowl out of a few weeks ago, and counted them up. Never did find the right size/shape for the challenged... hadda glue up some scraps.

Jeremy Leasure
07-02-2012, 8:12 PM
I just wanna know who the 500-1000 and the 1000+ people are. I'm in the 50-100 category right now. Soon to be expanding considerably.

Rich Aldrich
07-02-2012, 8:28 PM
I tend to have more roughouts because I try to rough out the burls and such so I can DNA soak and put in a bag. Once they are to that point, they will keep "forever", so it is my way of preserving the wood. That being said, I have a number of burls that need to be roughed out. I need more time.

Hayes Rutherford
07-02-2012, 9:31 PM
Jeremy, 500-1000 was me.

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 3:52 PM
I have to say that these results really amaze me. In my OP, I said the I have a measly and embarrassing 21 rough outs (not 20 ;)), but I never would have thought that about 50% of the turners here were in that boat or less. Somehow, I always pictured most people's shops loaded to the ceiling with rough-outs...maybe because I've seen pics of people's shops like that! Hmmm, just though of another Poll...

Pat Scott
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
I have over 1,000 roughouts. You just had to ask how many we had, didn't you? Actually I've been kind of curious myself as I have wood all over the place.

I have 4 storage racks downstairs with 6 shelves per rack. The racks are full and I have pieces stacked all over the floor as well - to the point where I don't have hardly any room to walk. I started counting yesterday before work and realized it was going to take me longer than I thought. I finished counting the rest of the shelves on the first rack before dinner tonight and came up with a total of 368 pieces on one storage rack. After one rack I decided I've got better things to do than count! So my total number is a best guess...

If I take 368 pieces per rack multiplied by 4 racks, that equals 1472. I'm not counting whats on the floor and in the garage (probably another 100 or more). So at this point I'm guessing that I have somewhere around 1500 total roughouts, give or take.

My roughouts consist of: salad bowls, nested salad bowl sets, individual size bowls (cereal bowl size), dinner plates (11"-12"), appetizer size plates (8"-9"), platters (13" to 20"), and peppermill blanks.

Ed Sandle
07-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Boy was I glad to see this. I probably have around a hundred or so, and am always teased by a few club members and my wife. I see now though that I am in good company.