PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion needed for unplugged

Mac McQuinn
07-01-2012, 3:17 PM
As I'm slowly trying to minimize power tool use and become unplugged in my shop, I'm looking for a hand saw to cut arcs in plywood. Can anyone suggest a tool for this purpose?
Thanks,
Mac

John Coloccia
07-01-2012, 3:42 PM
A "turning" bow saw would be my choice, however I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't do this with anything but a bandsaw, or maybe a scroll saw if it was just a small piece. I might even use a jigsaw. No way I would bother working plywood with hand tools.

Mac McQuinn
07-01-2012, 3:54 PM
John,
Thanks for the input, I thought this might the case. This is for boat building and wood I'm working with is Marine ply such as Okoume. Ironically the only two power cutting tools I planned on keeping are my 60 year old Craftsman Bandsaw and a Bosch 1590 Jigsaw.

Mac

saw.
A "turning" bow saw would be my choice, however I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't do this with anything but a bandsaw, or maybe a scroll saw if it was just a small piece. I might even use a jigsaw. No way I would bother working plywood with hand tools.

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2012, 6:01 PM
I agree with a turning bow saw, but when I cut ply with a handsaw, I used an inexpensive pull saw I got at the big box. If the curves aren't too tight, it would work for that as well. It does not have a back on it.

Jim Ritter
07-01-2012, 7:32 PM
I am a boatbuilder and would not give up my band saw or jigsaw. But then again I am making a living at it. I do use a lot of hand tools because they do the best job in some instances. What kind of boat are you building? Jim