PDA

View Full Version : The Ketron handle

Jim Ketron
04-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I got a P&N 5/8" bowl gouge and they come unhandled so instead of making a wooden handle I wanted something with a little heft to it to hog off a lot of wood:D
And here is what I come up with I used 3/4" shc 40 pipe,a homemade sleeve (to adapt to the shank on the gouge), two set screws, and some soft tubing, and a 3/4" coupling/plug.
I welded the sleeve in and taped for the 2 set screws. Ground a flat spot on the shank of the gouge to keep it from twisting in the handle, and to have more surface area for the set screw to hold it in. Put the coupling on the pipe to make it a little fatter on the end and screwed in the plug. I cut the nut off the plug to make it flush. started wrapping the tubing, I used CA and epoxy to hold the tubing on the pipe. put some CA on the end of the handle and started wrapping the tubing around the end to start it off ,I let it dry then started wrapping the rest of the tubing put some CA at the end and put a clamp on it till it was dry, I also applied CA between each ripple on the handle. On the end with the coupling I Mixed some epoxy to fill in the end to make it solid.
I can add weight to the handle if needed .It can be poured in through where the gouge fits in with sand . But It already weighs 3 1/2 Pounds and I like the way it feels as is. it is 1 1/2" round on the handle and is 1 3/4 where the coupling is. the length of the handle is 21" and with the gouge on it 30"
It is now my preferred choice for hogging off a lot of wood or just a little. I like the length of this handle I have great control of the tool when tucked into the turning muscle:D
Jim

Ed Lang
04-06-2005, 1:33 PM
That is fantastic!

I just might have to try making one of those myself.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-06-2005, 2:02 PM
That sure looks like a stout tool! With a lathe like yours you will need it.

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 1:20 PM
Excellent handle Jim!!!

What is the “soft tubing” that you wrapped it with?

Frank

Jim Ketron
01-11-2006, 4:57 PM
Thanks Frank!
Its just some tubing you can get at HD, Lowe's, or Hardware stores in the plumbing section.

Bob Noles
01-11-2006, 5:52 PM
Jim,

That is one cool handle for the gouge. It looks like a dual purpose tool.

When not being used on the lathe, it could easily double for a billy club:D

We may all have to copy that design to keep Andy in line around here :eek:

Nice job Jim and thanks for showing it to us.