PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

Dennis Ford
07-01-2012, 8:05 AM
A hollow form made from some very nice red maple. I turned and finished this yesterday (General Wood Turners Finish) starting with a very wet piece. It is just over 7 inches diameter X 5-1/2 inches tall. I wanted to keep the bark intact around the opening and ended up leaving a little spot of bark on the upper surface (I felt that taking it off would compromise the form). Comments and critiques welcome.

Baxter Smith
07-01-2012, 8:20 AM
Very nice Shape Dennis! Probably a good choice to leave the bark. I often take spots like that off and almost always regret it when it comes to how happy I am with the final shape.

Jim Burr
07-01-2012, 9:14 AM
That sure has some crazy color Dennis...great form to show it off!

Scott Hackler
07-01-2012, 9:29 AM
Very nice piece of wood. I like the natural edge on this and the coloring is very nice as well.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Really nice piece and like the form. NE and wood color is really nice.

thomas prusak
07-01-2012, 1:09 PM
Get out! Awesome form, wood, finish everything.....

David DeCristoforo
07-01-2012, 1:33 PM
Great looking HF, Dennis. The amazing wood does not hurt a bit!

Deane Allinson
07-01-2012, 1:34 PM
I think that "nice red maple" is a little understated, it is a "terrific piece of red maple". Beautiful piece, finish and craftsmanship.
Deane

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2012, 9:45 PM
I agree - great looking form! I do like the natural bark collar and am glad you managed to keep it! It does add to the overall form. Beautiful wood!

Ron Bontz
07-01-2012, 9:48 PM
The problem with posting comments on works like this is most of what can be said already has. To be redundant. A beautiful piece all around. Nice work.

James Roberts
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Gotta agree with Ron, it's hard to add to the conversation when you're late to the party. Still, it is a very nice piece of wood, great form and finish, well done.

Thomas Canfield
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice form and wood. I think that this is the first time I have seen you post the WTF and not lacquer. What is your impression?

Dennis Ford
07-02-2012, 8:21 AM
Nice form and wood. I think that this is the first time I have seen you post the WTF and not lacquer. What is your impression?
I like the WTF; it adds a little more of an amber tint than lacquer but less than an oil finish. It dries very fast and is ready for buffing the same day. There are no fumes. It seems expensive but the cost per turning is probably less than lacquer considering over-spray and thinner for cleaning after spraying lacquer.

Michelle Rich
07-02-2012, 9:25 AM
gorgeous wood & i love the neck. pretty, pretty!