PDA

View Full Version : First spin art attempt

Eric Holmquist
06-30-2012, 8:24 PM
I've gotten inspired by the work of George Foweraker to add spin art to the rims of my turnings. This was my first attempt. Before clear coating the colors were a bit more vivid, the clear coat turned them rather whitish. Clearly I have more work to do to better understand this process. Used a Cherry plate I had turned years ago and tossed in the scrap heap for some reason. Put it back on the lathe, cleaned it up and tried this new embellishment technique.

Brad Boyes
06-30-2012, 8:32 PM
Ok. I am new with the lathe. How do you do that. Really nice work!

Eric Holmquist
06-30-2012, 8:45 PM
Thanks Brad, the basic idea is to apply paint to the piece, then while it is still wet, turn the lathe on. Of course the devil is in the details, how wet is the paint, how viscous is it, what RPM, how long and what radius. With that many variable, I suspect one has to standardize a few of them to try and get a feel for how the rest interact.

In this case, I painted the rim black, and used Jo Sonja iridescent paints. Against a black background these paints shimmer and change intensity with different angles of view.

Kathy Marshall
06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Eric, I think that looks great! What a neat way to jazz up the rim. I like the colors and the patterns they created. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Great looking piece Eric. I do like the color and pattern. Well done.

Baxter Smith
07-01-2012, 8:22 AM
Very neat Eric! Looks like the possibilities are endless!

Steve Vaughan
07-01-2012, 8:27 AM
That's a great idea! Really nice! I've got a piece I'm posting in a few weeks where I left a wide rim for a young artist to paint. The rim is a great place to do art!