PDA

View Full Version : Live Oak

Jerry Thompson
06-30-2012, 8:12 PM
About twenty years ago a gave me two chunks of Live Oak. They are 3'X15''x3''. Today I hauled one out. I ripped it to 8'' wide and rani it over the jointer and through the planer. The just for fun it took to it with my SB #5 with a Hock blade and chip breaker. That stuff is tough. I just did one edge and was able to take off fluff. I could only take fluff. I am not man enough to do shavings. It gives me new found respect for the Shipwrughts of yore.
Has anyone out there ever made anything from this wood? I don't really care for the color but it sure planes to a glassy surface.

Craig McCormick
07-01-2012, 9:50 AM
If it is the same as Silk Oak you may be sorry a few days after coming in contact with the dust. The itching and rash could put you in the hospital. I started to make a bowl a few years ago but never finished it;-)

Craig

Jerry Thompson
07-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I have worked with for several days, usung a mask, and have had no symptoms. I did find that amber shellac makes it look great.

Joe Spear
07-01-2012, 8:31 PM
The U.S.S. Constitution, Old Ironsides, is made of Georgia live oak, two feet thick in places. The cannon balls just bounced off.

Jerry Thompson
07-01-2012, 8:50 PM
I used my LN 41/2 on a piece and spayed two coats of Zizzner on it. I rubbed it out with 000 steel wool and Wool Lube. This changed my opinion about the woods appeeance. It looks very nice and I can see it as a good accent option.