PDA

View Full Version : Best Method to Attach Legs to Table Top

Victor Stearns
06-30-2012, 4:20 PM
Greetings Creeker's,
We have a new project, a slab wood coffee table.
Table top is 2-1/2 inch thick Cherry. The legs are 1-3/4 inch thick Walnut.
We are looking for ideas to attach the legs to the table top.
Thanks,
Victor

Sam Murdoch
06-30-2012, 4:45 PM
Here is a case that I would be inclined to use a fabricated threaded rod assembly through each leg. At the top underside I would attach a metal rectangular plate (like a mending plate - approx. 3/16" to 1/4" thick) screwed into a pocket on the underside of the table with an extra clearance on either end of the pocket to allow for wood movement. The pocket would be deep enough to allow for the bolt head of the threaded rod (carriage type or hex head - no matter - but permanently attached to the rod and that permanently attached to the plate to allow for tightening without spinning. The pockets and bolts to be hidden by the legs. The rods go through the legs assemblies. Under each leg would be a hole big enough to attach a nut and washer to the threaded rod. Tighten it all up and you've got a secure table top to leg connection. The height of the table and the thicknesses of the top and legs and the structure of the legs, I think, lend themselves nicely to this arrangement.

Jamie Buxton
06-30-2012, 6:27 PM
I'd do mortise-and-tenon. You've probably already cut the base parts to length, so you'll need to use loose tenons.

Bill Rogers
06-30-2012, 8:19 PM
I used mortises and tenons to attach the legs on a similar Black Walnut table that I just finished. I agree with Jamie about the loose tenons.

Craig D Peltier
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Dowel , spline , loose tenon.