PDA

View Full Version : Small trays/plates

Deane Allinson
06-30-2012, 4:19 PM
I turned a few small trays/plates this week. They are great since I can only turn at lunch and about an hour or so after work. I thought that the wood was nice and the simple shape shows it off pretty well. Both are 8 1/2" x 7/8". One is the last of a satinwood board and the other, mesquite, was given to me by a guy at work that makes deer mounts. The end of the board had a big open knot and this little piece was next to it.
Deane

Thomas Canfield
06-30-2012, 9:41 PM
Nice looking trays/plates. Drops and scraps can be really nice. You did not show the bottoms and I was wondering what you did. I made a similar one for alley neighbor out of a piece of ash about 10" wide x 5/8" thick that was a reject panel from a cabinet door. The ash was even edge glued for width. I started out with a faceplate and very short mounting screws, and then used double stick tape on the turned bottom against a disk to hollow out the inside. I did use the live center for most of the hollowing for safety. The neighbor enjoyed it so much she sent me 2 thank you notes, the second acknowledging the first but how happy she was with the tray. That make you feel good.

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Those are nice looking platters/plates. I like both of them.

Baxter Smith
07-01-2012, 8:23 AM
Great use of a pretty little piece of wood Deanne! Though at 8" I suppose they are not that little.

Jim Burr
07-01-2012, 9:10 AM
Some good use of your spare time Deane...those are both beautiful!

Mike Willeson
07-01-2012, 10:03 AM
In addition to the bottom, I wouldn't mind seeing a profile of some kind to get a feel for the shape. As others have said, very nice!

Deane Allinson
07-01-2012, 10:48 AM
In addition to the bottom, I wouldn't mind seeing a profile of some kind to get a feel for the shape. As others have said, very nice!

I have a couple of shots of the bottoms and profiles. Nothing fancy just flat bottoms since they are so short.
Deane

Allan Ferguson
07-01-2012, 3:25 PM
Those are very nice and you can be proud of both.

Mike Willeson
07-01-2012, 4:18 PM
Very nice! Thanks for the pics! Very smooth transition on the bottom.