PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart info.

Dave Lehnert
06-30-2012, 7:39 AM
Want to start looking for a used golf cart to use around the place.

Any tips on what to look out for, Gas/ electric??? . Good brands, bad brands.

I know nothing about one.

Brian Elfert
06-30-2012, 2:22 PM
I would suggest checking out a Golf Cart forum. I've been looking for a golf cart on and off for quite a while and they are usually more money than I want to spend. The ones I can afford usually don't run or need batteries. Batteries are generally at least $500 to replace the whole set. For my particular use I would prefer gas. A lot of golf carts have specialized gas engines and it is difficult to just drop any old small engine in there.

If you ever plan to take your cart to a campground they often allow electric only for noise reasons. They usually also require liability insurance.

Dave Lehnert
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
I would suggest checking out a Golf Cart forum. I've been looking for a golf cart on and off for quite a while and they are usually more money than I want to spend. The ones I can afford usually don't run or need batteries. Batteries are generally at least $500 to replace the whole set. For my particular use I would prefer gas. A lot of golf carts have specialized gas engines and it is difficult to just drop any old small engine in there.

If you ever plan to take your cart to a campground they often allow electric only for noise reasons. They usually also require liability insurance.

Thanks for the info. What kind of prices are you seeing for a used cart?

Keith Outten
07-01-2012, 8:43 AM
Dave,

I recently purchased a 2003 EZGO for home use that my local golf cart shop rebuilt. I elected to go once again with a battery cart rather than a gas engine model. The new cart has new large tires and custom rims, a lift kit, new paint and aluminum bumper and more, it was an excellent deal at $4K. the batteries are in decent shape but they will need to be replaced in a couple years so I have been researching lithium batteries as a replacement option. I intend to keep this cart for a long time so the battery upgrade may be worth the $2400 price, the weight reduction will drop 480 pounds to 80 pounds in batteries plus longer run times, more power and reduced recharging costs.

My choice of battery over gas was based on the fact that I like how quiet electric carts are and I have found them to be very reliable over the last ten years that I have worked at CNU. We have a fleet of carts, most are electric. The maintenance required for electric carts is minimum compared to gas and if you know what your typical daily use for the cart is it is easy to manage your charging routine. At CNU there isn't any preference toward any brand of golf cart, mine is a custom built Club Car but we have just about every make and model available. Personally I prefer the EZGO carts because there seems to be more sources for parts and custom options for them over other brands.

Brian Elfert
07-01-2012, 9:53 AM
Most golf carts I've seen on Craigslist are around $2,000 for a decent one. I've seen a number under $1000 too, but most of those are electric and a lot of them need new batteries. Any really cheap gas ones tend to be the old Harley-Davidson models with only one front wheel.