PDA

View Full Version : PSI Bolt Action Triple Play

James Combs
06-29-2012, 9:26 PM
I have made several bullet pens using real cases and bullets. I typically do not go for kit versions, however, PSIs Bolt Action Bullet pens look very intriguing so I thought I would try them out.

There is probably not another pen easier to build. With only one barrel and the finial end pre-assembled , folks looking for a challenge will be sorely disappointed but for the beginner it doesn't get much easier.

The quality of the kit is outstanding, at least for now, can't speak for long term durability but the way the parts are built they should last forever. The finial end is extremely heavy material, almost like a section of a real rifle barrel dressed up as a receiver & bolt.

I assemble these three in probably less then 2 hours but I wasn't timing and wasn't in a hurry.

Take a look, all comments are appreciated.

The Gun Metal one is dressed in Marble Wood
The Gold - Cocobolo
The Chrome - A freebee blank from Wood-n-Whimsies.(forget the name)
235591 235592

Only issue I could find that I thought was odd more then a fault was that the kit uses an odd size brass tube or at least one I haven't run across before. It is not 10mm nor is it 3/8":confused:

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Great looking pen James. Those are on my to do list.

Jim Burr
06-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm still not sold on these JD...mainly the bolt, sticks out and gets caught a lot. On the other hand...your work is always over the top and the finish is great!

thomas prusak
06-30-2012, 8:22 AM
Love them! Great finish

Billy Tallant
06-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Great looking pens James! I'm convinced that I've got to order some of those kits...

Steve Busey
06-30-2012, 1:08 PM
Only issue I could find that I thought was odd more then a fault was that the kit uses an odd size brass tube or at least one I haven't run across before. It is not 10mm nor is it 3/8"

I noticed that too - had to get a new set of TBC (turn between centers) bushings to turn mine. When I went to mount it on a mandrel to run it thru the laser rotary jig, I had to put it over some worn slimline mandrel bushings - that seemed a pretty good fit (the I.D. of the tube matched the O.D. of the slimline bushings).