PDA

View Full Version : Sorby RS200KTor Sorby SOV RS system

Jack Gaskins
06-29-2012, 4:10 PM
I want to get a midi hollower for small hollowing. I have never used a hollowing tool and want to try some small hollowing 6 inches or less in dia and some 3 inch dia hollow globes. I know the tools will need a larger dia opening, not worried about that, unless there is a tool with a flat bottom that can get into a smaller opening. Do any of you have either or both of these tools? Any good for midi down to mini hollowing?

Thanks,
Jack

Jamie Donaldson
06-29-2012, 8:27 PM
Jack, there is a learning curve regardless of the tools used in hollowing, and I believe every turner should to learn to hollow freehand in order to really understand the process. I recommend John Jordan's small hollowers, used in a proper sized handle that fits all 3 tools. If possible, find a mentor to speed up the learning process with hands-on instruction, and don't make the mistake of thinking you're just one hollowing tool away from greatness! I learned to hollow from David Ellsworth in 1990, and since then the number of hollowing tools available in the marketplace has exploded, but the process basics are the same.