PDA

View Full Version : My Beloved Bunn Has Died

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2012, 3:59 PM
This may not seem like a tragedy to some, but I loved that coffee maker. I'm pretty simple. The dang thing is leaking about a cup of water every time I brew. My mama bought me that coffee maker so it has sentimental value (mostly because it was free). I guess I'm off to the store tomorrow morning to get a new one (which won't be free). Actually, my cousin Melanie died yesterday and I think the coffee maker gave up the ghost in her honor. The Barfield clan, of which we are/were members, starts drinking coffee in their baby bottles. I'm so tired of cancer taking members of my family . . . maybe we should lay off the coffee.

So, recommendations for coffee makers? I'm not going the French Press route. Just something simple and not prissy. Is it possible Dyson makes a coffee maker? I don't know the equivalent of Dyson in the wood working world - sorry.

Joe Angrisani
06-29-2012, 4:11 PM
I have a plain ol' $20 Mr Coffee from one of the big stores. Love it. No clock. No timer. No built-in grinder. Just a paper cone filter and a 12-cup pot. Works great, whether I'm making 4 cups (which is really one big mug), or 12 cups.

Myk Rian
06-29-2012, 4:11 PM
Sorry about the family loss.

Get another Bunn, or fix the one you have. They sell replacement parts.

Paul McGaha
06-29-2012, 4:12 PM
We've used Bunn the last 10-15 years. I doubt we'll ever use anything else. You get used to the speed of it. And the way they last.

Good luck with it Belinda.

PHM

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2012, 4:29 PM
I'm with you Paul. In a previous life I had a fancy coffee/espresso/cappucino/whatevero maker that I loved, but it was a royal pain to clean. The Bunn does brew faster than coffee aficionados deem appropriate, but I'm happy with it. No timer, no clock - although that feature is nice. Just wondering if there is anything new and improved on the market.

Thanks Myk. Mel was a great lady.

BOB OLINGER
06-29-2012, 4:36 PM
We've had Bunn for like 30 yrs. Tried one other brand a couple yrs ago with the new features (such as grinding the beans) but took it back and got another Bunn. They're just rock solid.

Cody Kemble
06-29-2012, 4:48 PM
I like my cuisinart. Paired with a burr grinder you can get whatever flavor you like.

David G Baker
06-29-2012, 4:56 PM
You can't go wrong with a Bunn but you can do some shopping around because the same coffee maker varies in price, sometimes as much as $30. Ours generally last around 5 years before problems start showing up.

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 5:35 PM
The Bunns up to about $120 seem to all develop leaks but they have a three year warranty...

Bunns don't seem to be the choice of the "serious" coffee drinkers or the eco-folks (uses power to keep the water preheated) but my grandmother for instance LOVES them. I would say PLEASE don't use one that is not on a GFI outlet, shouldn't be a problem in most modern kitchens (see the leak issue above).

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2012, 5:36 PM
I've bought maybe 4 Bunn coffee makers in the last 30 years. I doubt I'll ever own anything else.

Jerome Stanek
06-29-2012, 6:26 PM
Bunn also here

Brian Kent
06-29-2012, 7:47 PM
Belinda, drinking coffee might be the only thing we are doing right. Google "coffee improves health" and you'll find all kinds of articles that prove the existence of God. That and the ones you find under "chocolate improves health."

Larry Edgerton
06-29-2012, 7:48 PM
Ironic....

I just lost my ancient spacesaver two days ago. I like it because I didn't have to pour water in the morning and make a mess. My wife loved it because I did not have to pour water in the morning and make a mess.

Maybe there is an epidemic! Coffee pots all over the country are brewing their last cup of mud, giving up the cafeinated ghost. It could be a tragedy of epic proportions. Just think about some of the people that you do not want to see with out a cup of coffee in them....

Yikes! I'm heading for the hills.......

Larry

Tom Stenzel
06-29-2012, 9:44 PM
This may not seem like a tragedy to some, but I loved that coffee maker. I'm pretty simple. The dang thing is leaking about a cup of water every time I brew.

Hi Belinda,

If it only leaks when you pour water in the top it's almost certainly the gasket between the upper plastic tank and the heating tank. Heat breaks it down and it crumbles. It's easily replaced using a Philips screwdriver and needlenose pliers.

I'm sure you can purchase the gasket from somewhere. I made one from a scrap chunk of Gylon. It's outlasted the Bunn gasket by a couple of years now.

-Tom Stenzel

Ruperto Mendiones
06-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Belinda,

Technivorm is my suggestion. The reputation It is to coffee as Festool is to woodworking.

Ruperto

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2012, 7:13 AM
Hi Belinda,

If it only leaks when you pour water in the top it's almost certainly the gasket between the upper plastic tank and the heating tank. Heat breaks it down and it crumbles. It's easily replaced using a Philips screwdriver and needlenose pliers.

I'm sure you can purchase the gasket from somewhere. I made one from a scrap chunk of Gylon. It's outlasted the Bunn gasket by a couple of years now.

-Tom Stenzel

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's leaking from the bottom, Tom.

I've learned to live without the garbage disposal that died about a year ago. The dishwasher now just basically is used for a final rinse with really hot water since it doesn't work worth a darn. But the coffee maker . . . that is just too much. Oh, and did I mention that my ice maker is leaking and I have to dump the tray about every three days because the bottom layer of ice is frozen into a solid sheet? I believe during the heat of the day I will be appliance shopping in a nice cool store. Instead of cleaning up I think I'll just dispose of everything and start over. My idea of a perfect house has waterproof surfaces and furniture with a hose and floor drain in every room. :D

Rich Engelhardt
06-30-2012, 7:32 AM
I'm a bona fide neander when it comes to the coffee pot.
I have an ancient 9 cup aluminum camp fire style percolator.
One of these days I may splurge on a fancy enamel one. ;).

Truth is though, I'm too impatient to even wait for the water to heat in the microwave for the instant stuff.
I just run the tap until it's hot - dump out 3/4 of the cup and toss in a tbl spoon of instant and gag it down.

Tastes horrible - but - the caffine rush snaps my eyelids open so fast they overshoot my forehead & end up on the top of my noggin...:D

Paul McGaha
06-30-2012, 8:49 AM
I'm a bona fide neander when it comes to the coffee pot.
I have an ancient 9 cup aluminum camp fire style percolator.
One of these days I may splurge on a fancy enamel one. ;).

Truth is though, I'm too impatient to even wait for the water to heat in the microwave for the instant stuff.
I just run the tap until it's hot - dump out 3/4 of the cup and toss in a tbl spoon of instant and gag it down.

Tastes horrible - but - the caffine rush snaps my eyelids open so fast they overshoot my forehead & end up on the top of my noggin...:D

You might look at a Bunn Rich. Brew a 1/2 pot of coffee in about 2 or 3 minutes. Brew a full pot in 4 or 5 minutes. Faster than you can let the dog out. Tastes great. Tastes the way I like coffee to taste.

PHM

Rick Moyer
06-30-2012, 6:04 PM
You could buy a Mayan one but it will only have a less-than six month warranty. :D

John Coloccia
06-30-2012, 8:41 PM
If I get another coffee maker, it will be a Bunn. Unfortunately, my wife bought this "temporary" piece of garbage that just won't die!! I may abscond with it down to my shop, and replace it with a Bunn in the middle of the night someday.

Greg Bednar
06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm with Rich - we took a 30 year step backward and purchased a percolator. I love it, it's the way coffee is supposed to taste olde style, and we grind the beans fresh each morning before the pot is plugged in. < insert shameless plug for Pearl Coffee Diana Brand whole bean coffee from Akron,Ohio - Starbucks,........ take your $4 coffee and.......> I'm sorry, but I'm a junkie for a great cuppa ' Joe.

Belinda Barfield
07-01-2012, 4:49 AM
Bought a new Bunn. Trying it out in an hour or so. Yes, I've been up since 4 a.m.

Greg Portland
07-03-2012, 1:24 PM
This may not seem like a tragedy to some, but I loved that coffee maker. I'm pretty simple. The dang thing is leaking about a cup of water every time I brew. My mama bought me that coffee maker so it has sentimental value (mostly because it was free). I guess I'm off to the store tomorrow morning to get a new one (which won't be free). Actually, my cousin Melanie died yesterday and I think the coffee maker gave up the ghost in her honor. The Barfield clan, of which we are/were members, starts drinking coffee in their baby bottles. I'm so tired of cancer taking members of my family . . . maybe we should lay off the coffee.

So, recommendations for coffee makers? I'm not going the French Press route. Just something simple and not prissy. Is it possible Dyson makes a coffee maker? I don't know the equivalent of Dyson in the wood working world - sorry.
Bunn is still the best option until you get into the Technivorm price range.

Belinda Barfield
07-03-2012, 2:04 PM
Bunn is still the best option until you get into the Technivorm price range.

I checked out Technivorms and they aren't that much more. I have a top of the line Cuisinart automatic grind and brew that sits on a shelf because it is too much of a pain to clean.

I like my new Bunn with my basic old Folgers coffee. I like to spend money on sparkly tiaras and shiny cars, coffee makers are just functional.:D Basic problem with buying the Bunn is that while I was at the store I bought two new lamps, shades, and a little desk lamp that was on sale, so my $150 Bunn ended up costing me a little over $300.

Russ Revels
07-03-2012, 3:00 PM
Belinda I see you already bought a new coffee maker but a few years ago we had a bunn at the office that started leaking. We sent it back to bunn in Illinois and for about $35 they rebuilt it for us. It is still in use.

Russ