PDA

View Full Version : 12" Thin kerf miter saw blade

Larry Browning
06-29-2012, 2:04 PM
I've got my eye on one of these Onsrud 12" miter saw blades over at the bay. I have reads lots of good things about the brand and they have an incredible price.
I can get either the std or thin kerf for about the same price. I was wondering what the down side is of the thin kerf. I like the idea of a thinner cut, but was worried about the blade flexing during a cut. It is also available in a 80 or 96 tooth version. Which one should I get? I am looking to improve on the cut quality over the stock blade that came with my PC 12" miter saw. (Which I am thinking won't be hard to do)

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Kevin Bourque
06-29-2012, 2:19 PM
As long as you don't overheat the blade, a thin kerf gives a beautiful cut.

scott spencer
06-29-2012, 4:52 PM
I'm a fan of good 10" TK blades for ripping with smaller saws, but would stick with full kerf for a 12" miter saw blade....crosscutting requires less power so there's less incentive to use TK, and 12" is a big span which gives more opportunity for flexing.

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 5:04 PM
+1 on what Scott said, I only use a TK when there is a reason so full kerf on a miter saw. I will say that my 12" Chopmaster Signature Line Forrest is a 7/64" instead of a full 1/8".

Larry Browning
06-29-2012, 6:57 PM
Kinda what I was thinking about the flexing with the TK. Also, what about 80T vs 96T? Or does it really not matter?

BTW Van,
What the H.E. double hockey sticks is that on your face in your profile picture???? Looks to be either something needed to go into outer space or to dive deep in the ocean. I can't really tell from the picture. Or it is an alien attacking you trying to suck the life out of you. I have wanted to ask you that for a long time!

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 7:04 PM
80 quality teeth > 96 not so great teeth. My 12" Signature Chopmaster is 90T and hard to think of a better finish BUT it is a $180 retail blade. I would buy on quality not on the number of teeth.

David Kumm
06-29-2012, 7:36 PM
What Van said. Quality of carbide and sharpening are much more important as is plate runout. I would not use a TK on a miter saw. A full kerf flexes enough when taking that last " half a kerf " off because I didn't have courage to cut where I marked the first three times. Dave

Jeff Duncan
06-30-2012, 9:44 AM
Dave and Van pretty much sum up my thoughts also. I don't think you would notice a huge difference between an 80 tooth and 96 tooth blade. The more teeth the cleaner the cut...but also the more resistance in a cut and more $. If your looking for glass smooth cuts in really dense woods I'd probably get the 96 tooth. For general cuts around the shop I'd probably save a couple bucks and go with the 80 tooth.

good luck,
JeffD