PDA

View Full Version : Is it Hot around here, or is it just me?

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
High tomorrow of 100 with heat index of 115 and possibly reaching 118. Athens, in North Georgia predicted high of 108. I sure feel badly for all you folks dealing with the heat wave that aren't accustomed to this kind of heat. We have actually had rather pleasant days up to this point, it's getting hot later than usual. I believe I'll get my chores done early tomorrow.

Jim Creech
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Weather forecasters are calling for about the same here in Smithfield,Va. Temp 101 heat index 110. I was going to work on the boat tomorrow but I think it's going to have to wait. Stay cool and don't over do it. It bothers me when pretty girls get sick.

Matt Meiser
06-29-2012, 11:33 AM
We hit a peak of 105 yesterday according to my pretty accurate thermometer. With humidity in the low 30's that's a heat index of 113. At 7PM when we were running some errands they said the heat index was still 110. It felt like summer in St. Louis to me.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
We hit a peak of 105 yesterday according to my pretty accurate thermometer. With humidity in the low 30's that's a heat index of 113. At 7PM when we were running some errands they said the heat index was still 110. It felt like summer in St. Louis to me.

What's your weather normally like Matt?

60% humidity tomorrow. Yuck! I have have to join everyone else at the mall or the library. Maybe I'll just make it a movie afternoon. I usually have to take a sweater to the theater, so the temp should be about right. Oh, and they serve hotdogs now!

Matt Meiser
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Low 90s is usually hot for us in the summer. We can often go weeks at a time without the AC running, especially in June.

We ended up at the mall yesterday. I hate the mall...

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Low 90s is usually hot for us in the summer. We can often go weeks at a time without the AC running, especially in June.

We ended up at the mall yesterday. I hate the mall...

Wish I didn't have to run the AC. My electric bill went up $82.00 this month because we switched over to summer rates. I hate the mall, too . . .

I can't imagine how people without AC cope when a heat wave like this hits. I'm sure we'll have a few deaths as there are a lot of poor and elderly here who live in really tough neighborhoods and don't feel safe opening windows and doors.

Myk Rian
06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
We're a bit north of Matt and registered 99.8º yesterday.
Installed central AC 3 years ago, finally.

Art Mulder
06-29-2012, 1:04 PM
It's 27.9c right now, heading to a forecast high of 32c. With 54% humidity the humidex says that it "feels" like 34c (93.2F). Six day forecast is showing 6 days of forecast 30c.

At least the nights are all forecast to drop to 18, which should help some with cooling things off. But I do agree with Belinda that I'm going to be dreading the hydro bill, as this'll be the first month with pretty much fulltime AC at the house.

On the other hand here I am at work (University) in a circa 1959 stone building, 3 stories. I get to wear shorts and polo shirts, whoopie, but I'm actually kind of cool, thanks to all the chilling going on in this building.

Kevin Bourque
06-29-2012, 1:16 PM
It's going to hit 100 here in southeastern Pa. I live near a lake so I might take my kayak out and go swimmin'.

Scott Donley
06-29-2012, 1:18 PM
59 and raining here :( colder and wetter than normal and that's saying a lot !

Bruce Page
06-29-2012, 1:24 PM
It’s supposed to get to 98 here today with 25% humidity. Being at 5300’ elevation has its advantages. :)
I was in Chicago on business in July, 1995 during their record heat wave. Temperatures reached 110 with a heat index of 119. I remember stepping out from the air conditioned plant and it felt like I had just opened an oven that was set to broil. I had never felt anything like it before or since.

Paul McGaha
06-29-2012, 1:30 PM
It's hot in Virgina. About 100* the next 3 days and with high humidity.

PHM

Ted Calver
06-29-2012, 1:33 PM
Are you on a ladder?? It gets cooler closer to the ground :) :)

Larry Browning
06-29-2012, 1:44 PM
It’s supposed to get to 98 here today with 25% humidity. Being at 5300’ elevation has its advantages. :)
I was in Chicago on business in July, 1995 during their record heat wave. Temperatures reached 110 with a heat index of 119. I remember stepping out from the air conditioned plant and it felt like I had just opened an oven that was set to broil. I had never felt anything like it before or since.

One hot August day a few years ago we had some folks visiting from Bristol, England. We stepped outside to go to lunch and the heat just sort of hits you like a brick wall. One of the guys from England says "Wow! I didn't know it got this hot on the planet!" I said, "Shoot man! wait till it really gets hot this afternoon!" (It was about 104 at noon and by about 4:00 I think it was up to 115)

Rick Potter
06-29-2012, 2:13 PM
Here, 40 mi. inland from L. A., my computer says it will be a high of 91, with a humidity of 20%, with a low tonight of 57, with a humidity of 40%.

We usually don't have high humidity in the summer, except for a two or three week period in August, when it gets up higher, which means during that time it doesn't cool down as much at night. Right now, we are wearing a lite sweater outside at night, if we go to a ball game or whatever.

In a week or so, we are going to Phoenix. Today it's 112 there.

Rick Potter

ray hampton
06-29-2012, 3:35 PM
what are the temperature in Death Valley

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2012, 3:38 PM

;):D

Here, 40 mi. inland from L. A., my computer says it will be a high of 91, with a humidity of 20%, with a low tonight of 57, with a humidity of 40%.

We usually don't have high humidity in the summer, except for a two or three week period in August, when it gets up higher, which means during that time it doesn't cool down as much at night. Right now, we are wearing a lite sweater outside at night, if we go to a ball game or whatever.

In a week or so, we are going to Phoenix. Today it's 112 there.

Rick Potter

Tomorrow night we will have a refreshing low of 77 with 78% humidity and 100% bugs. I've been in Phoenix when it was around 112, and it is nothing like the heat we have with the humidity. Tonight and tomorrow night it will be like breathing through a wet cloth. I love to get the summer LL Bean catalogs . . . CUTE sweaters, but where are the tank tops and camisoles? Fortunately, like Art, I wear shorts and polos to work. We unloaded 7 slabs of stone yesterday around noon and I would have melted if not for the shorts.

Had to stop by Wally World on the way home, which is actually worse than the mall in my world. When I walked out it was indeed like having an oven door open with a hot wind blowing across the parking lot. According to my car dashboard display the temp was - - -F.

Kevin Bourque
06-29-2012, 3:43 PM

And if you pass out and fall from the top of the ladder you'll get a nice breeze, too!

Rick Potter
06-29-2012, 4:18 PM
My sympathies East Coast people,

I had to change out a power steering pump in a campground in North Carolina once. It was over 100% with 90% humidity. I thought I'd never finish it.

Camped at Panama Beach Fl. one time. We got up in the morning drenched with sweat, walked 500' to the water and cooled off a bit, walked back the 500' to the camper....drenched with sweat. No AC naturally.

Same trip, driving down a secondary road in South FL., there was a noise like driving on a gravel road, and commented to the wife that it didn't look like gravel. It wasn't. When we stopped for an intersection an air force of bugs came in the open windows. No AC in the truck either. Stopped at a Seminole indian gift stand. While there asked the guy whether he was immune to the mosquitos, since his family had lived there for generations. He sez "Oh no!, they drive us nuts, and we sleep with mosquito netting over the beds".

Visited an Uncle in OK. The cows got out, and were accross the street....9 AM. Walked out the door, and it was like hitting a wall. Instant sweat. Took half an hour. Please take me home to the desert.

I sweat a lot for a fat guy, wife just glows.

Rick Potter

ray hampton
06-29-2012, 5:28 PM
My sympathies East Coast people,

I had to change out a power steering pump in a campground in North Carolina once. It was over 100% with 90% humidity. I thought I'd never finish it.

Camped at Panama Beach Fl. one time. We got up in the morning drenched with sweat, walked 500' to the water and cooled off a bit, walked back the 500' to the camper....drenched with sweat. No AC naturally.

Same trip, driving down a secondary road in South FL., there was a noise like driving on a gravel road, and commented to the wife that it didn't look like gravel. It wasn't. When we stopped for an intersection an air force of bugs came in the open windows. No AC in the truck either. Stopped at a Seminole indian gift stand. While there asked the guy whether he was immune to the mosquitos, since his family had lived there for generations. He sez "Oh no!, they drive us nuts, and we sleep with mosquito netting over the beds".

Visited an Uncle in OK. The cows got out, and were accross the street....9 AM. Walked out the door, and it was like hitting a wall. Instant sweat. Took half an hour. Please take me home to the desert.

I sweat a lot for a fat guy, wife just glows.

Rick Potter

I dare you to do a Google search about elderly people loosing sweat glands, the information will open your eyes

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 5:40 PM
South Louisiana is a little warmer then usual this time of year, mid to high 90s with 60% humidity but nothing we don't expect. This is one of the few times in the summer I am happy to be in LA and not our SC home! NC, SC and GA are gettin' hammered.

Kevin Gregoire
06-29-2012, 6:06 PM
59 and raining here :( colder and wetter than normal and that's saying a lot !

im in south dakota and its been hotter then you know what, (90-100) the past several weeks and no end in sight. no rain here
in the past month or so too. (everyone else in the area gets rain but us) its surprising tho that there hasnt been much humidity.
i hate the heat but i dont care how hot it gets, its a night and day difference if there is no humidity.

the last job i had as a machinist was in a huge steel paneled building and i worked 330-1130 which was always the hottest part
of the day from about 4pm-10pm and when we came into work we knew instantly if it was going to be a really miserable night cause
the floors would be wet from the humidity. the poor ventilation and the heat from the machines would always make it 10-15 degrees
hotter inside. i dont miss that place one bit except for the pay checks!

i really feel sorry for any construction worker that does roofing, cant imagine how hot it gets on a roof between the asphalt shingles
and hot tar. has to be a killer! :eek:

ray hampton
06-29-2012, 7:00 PM
South Louisiana is a little warmer then usual this time of year, mid to high 90s with 60% humidity but nothing we don't expect. This is one of the few times in the summer I am happy to be in LA and not our SC home! NC, SC and GA are gettin' hammered.

according to the news from Alabama and GA, the major damage was to the chicken coops

Larry Edgerton
06-29-2012, 7:39 PM
I worked 11.5 hrs in the heat [94] yesterday, so I could have an easy day in the heat today. Not used to the heat so much any more now I am a stones throw from Canada.

Don't like cold either, but I think I would pick cold over heat if I had a choice.

Larry

Rick Potter
06-29-2012, 9:27 PM
Thanks Ray,

It's not bad enough getting old, fat, and crippled. Now I have to deal with not sweating properly? That's it, I am gonna stay safe, sit on my couch where I can't get injured, and eat bon bons. After all, the taste buds go away too, with the sweet tasties lasting longer than the rest.

You sure know how to kill the golden years, buddy.

Pass the M&M's,

grumpyrick Potter

Rod Sheridan
06-29-2012, 10:15 PM
It's hot in Virgina. About 100* the next 3 days and with high humidity.

PHM

Sure was hot, I flew home today, much cooler in Toronto than it was in Virginia..........Rod.

anthony wall
06-29-2012, 10:46 PM
well it's usually between 90 and 100 degrees here (thailand) 12 months of the year though unfortunately we are now in the rainy season and we also live in a rice growing area so with the flooded fields we have a ridiculously high humidity all year,the good point is that i only wear t shirt and shorts with flip flops unless going to weddings or funerals or golf courses . life can be hard after retireing

ray hampton
06-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks Ray,

It's not bad enough getting old, fat, and crippled. Now I have to deal with not sweating properly? That's it, I am gonna stay safe, sit on my couch where I can't get injured, and eat bon bons. After all, the taste buds go away too, with the sweet tasties lasting longer than the rest.

You sure know how to kill the golden years, buddy.

Pass the M&M's,

grumpyrick Potter

the baby boomers are close to their retire age and the news are supplying them with the facts that they need so that they will not be left to the guessing game, the taste buds are different because of your sinus and colds, foods that taste sweet to me may taste sour or bitter to other people

ray hampton
06-30-2012, 9:38 AM
the temperature at a KY race track yesterday was reported to be 141 degrees

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Drive thru of Chic-Fil-A about 30 minutes ago.

charlie knighton
06-30-2012, 9:53 PM
joined pool friday, discount rate because 1/3 summer gone, good deal, friday night, lost power, no power at pool, but they had generator to run pumps, water felt good, brother had power, got power back at 630 pm, thanks road crews, there are thousands still without power, and its hot

Rick Potter
07-01-2012, 3:21 AM
Hmmmm,

Some friends from Virginia just called and asked if we wanted to have lunch Thursday. Here.

Rick Potter

Brian Elfert
07-02-2012, 7:55 PM
We hit 98F here today with a dew point over 70F. I went to a metal supplier to pick up some metal and it was hotter than blazes in their warehouse.

ray hampton
07-02-2012, 9:58 PM
We hit 98F here today with a dew point over 70F. I went to a metal supplier to pick up some metal and it was hotter than blazes in their warehouse.

Fry in the summer, Freeze in the winter

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 4:55 PM
Do you work at a Tractor Supply Company store, Belinda? :D

Joe Mioux
07-04-2012, 4:39 PM
we have been 100 plus for a week and it will continue this week. The only place hotter is my back greenhouse. no sump cooling, no shade cloth, ..... it has to be over 140 in there today. The remaining spring bedding plants are cooking.

Jay Jolliffe
07-04-2012, 5:05 PM
Not up here in Maine it isn't....

Rich Engelhardt
07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
95 yesterday where I was working - cleaning out gutters on a ladder.
No problems w/sweating in the least... I was drenched.

Forcast is for 100 plus today.

I'm beginning to think there may be something to this 2012 thing after all.

Our weather here has been - - odd - - since January.

Belinda Barfield
07-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I found this interesting. X1 flare yesterday and an M2 flare today. It seems we're in a very active solar cycle currently.

http://spaceweather.com/

ray hampton
07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I found this interesting. X1 flare yesterday and an M2 flare today. It seems we're in a very active solar cycle currently.

http://spaceweather.com/

will this cause trouble to the internet ?

Brian Kent
07-07-2012, 2:06 PM
Do you work at a Tractor Supply Company store, Belinda? :D

Much worse. Belinda works in a granite quarry. Now that's hot work!

Belinda Barfield
07-07-2012, 2:16 PM
will this cause trouble to the internet ?

It could Ray. There have already been some minor issues with communications satellites. If we took a direct hit it could cause outages, but it's most likely going to miss us.

Belinda Barfield
07-07-2012, 2:18 PM
Much worse. Belinda works in a granite quarry. Now that's hot work!

Not quite Brian, just a granite company. I don't have enough upper body strength to work in a quarry. :D Oh, and I ain't squat for operating heavy equipment!

Belinda Barfield
07-07-2012, 2:25 PM
It's so funny to me that "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?" is a perfectly reasonable question coming from a female, with nothing intended other than the obvious. Another woman would just reply, "No honey, it isn't hot in here." or "It's just you, here let me loan you my fan until the flash passes." :D

I had to attend the funeral of a friend and former employee yesterday. We arrived for the graveside portion of the funeral at 12:00 noon. The minister had already spoken for an hour at the chapel. After 30 minutes in the sun with no breeze, I just wanted to say to the minister, "Have mercy on the living and wrap this thing up." (No offense intended Brian Kent. And yes, I know it ain't all about me.) I felt so sorry for my friend's elderly mother, both for her loss and for the fact that by the end of the service she was extremely pale and appeared near to fainting, and me without my smelling salts.

Brian Kent
07-07-2012, 2:55 PM
Belinda, that's why my follow-up graveside services are really short - about 15 minutes including military honors. For years, almost every time we had a service at Riverside National Cemetery it was about 104°. Let me know if you need me to come over and teach how to do "brief".

Glad you're not in the quarry with hammer and chisel.

ray hampton
07-07-2012, 3:18 PM
Belinda, that's why my follow-up graveside services are really short - about 15 minutes including military honors. For years, almost every time we had a service at Riverside National Cemetery it was about 104°. Let me know if you need me to come over and teach how to do "brief".

I agree with Brian, Belinda might be a good niter person, niter do not take muscle as much as nerves of steel

Belinda Barfield
07-07-2012, 4:36 PM

I will call you Brian. Some pastors here need to learn "brief". My great grandfather was an elder in the Primitive Baptist faith. It took seven pastors to appropriately bury him. We were at church all day and don't get me started on the graveside service. He must have been a real heathen (joking of course).

I agree with Brian, Belinda might be a good niter person, niter do not take muscle as much as nerves of steel

Ray, thank you, I have on occasion had to have nerves of steel. Thankfully, I'm not required to have those very often.

ray hampton
07-07-2012, 8:00 PM
since this post are about exceed heat, how are the deadly snakes dealing with the heat

Brian Elfert
07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Fry in the summer, Freeze in the winter

We have had two extremely hot summers in a row. Last year I think was worse even though the temps were less. The issue was the dewpoints were at or above 80F last summer during the heat wave. This year the dewpoints are only 70F, but the temps are higher. I didn't go outside except to go to/from work on Friday as it was 102F. Every other day I was outside for at least a while working on things. I'm wishing I had an air conditioned shop after this week. The heat finally broke last night and it was only 85F today.

The interesting thing is everybody has heat, but a fair number of businesses have no air conditioning in their buildings. I was at a electric motor repair shop Tuesday afternoon and man was it hot in there. I would think the cost of air conditioning would be made up for in increased productivity. You can get used to the heat a little bit. I worked outdoors for seven years, but during heat like this we would have spent as much time drinking water and taking breaks as working.

Keith Outten
07-08-2012, 6:13 AM
This morning at 5:55 am the temperature is 83 degrees with 75% humidity.
The forecast for today is 99 to 101 degrees, the humidity will most likely be about 90% and its been this way for the last week to ten days.
My heat pump can barely keep my second floor shop office at a comfortable temperature during the afternoon. I have all of the vents in my shop turned off in order to keep the SawMill Creek server cool in the upstairs office.

The forecast for late afternoon / early evening is predicting a 40% chance of severe thunderstorms for the next few days. Got to get the generator out this morning and run it for awhile just in case we need it tonight :)

Although I can power up our network during a power outage I can't keep The Creek running if our Internet Provider goes offline. Don't be surprised if we disappear at odd times during this kind of weather.....so far we have been fortunate.

Brian Kent
07-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Finally, it's going to be hot in Southern California too. We still won't have bragging rights, except in Death Valley, where on Tuesday and Wednesday it is supposed to be 124.

Brian Elfert
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I would like to find a place to live where the temps are in the 70s year round with low dewpoints. Hawaii tends to have similiar weather year round from what I have read. The problem with Hawaii is the dewpoints are rather high. I looked at the forecast for Honolulu and the high for the next four days is supposed to be 86F every day. Wednesday it will drop to 85F.

Jerry Thompson
07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
My friend in S. Dakota phoned me with his heat report. It got so hot all the field corn popped. His mule saw it, thought it was snow and froze to death!
A true Cowboy story.

Peter Kelly
07-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I would like to find a place to live where the temps are in the 70s year round with low dewpoints. Hawaii tends to have similiar weather year round from what I have read. The problem with Hawaii is the dewpoints are rather high. I looked at the forecast for Honolulu and the high for the next four days is supposed to be 86F every day. Wednesday it will drop to 85F.

The sun in Hawaii is merciless. Amazing the difference in being just a bit closer to the equator.

Bruce Page
07-08-2012, 1:53 PM
The sun in Hawaii is merciless. Amazing the difference in being just a bit closer to the equator.

That is very true. I have worked on Kauai for several weeks at a time during different times of the year. November thru April/May is very nice but it does get hot in the summer. Still, it's better weather than a lot of places... ;)

BTW Peter, you don't look very happy in your space suit.

ray hampton
07-08-2012, 1:59 PM
Finally, it's going to be hot in Southern California too. We still won't have bragging rights, except in Death Valley, where on Tuesday and Wednesday it is supposed to be 124.

now this is amazing, Death Valley are the hotter place in the states but 124 degrees are cold compare to the record of 140 degrees in this valley

ray hampton
07-08-2012, 2:01 PM
That is very true. I have worked on Kauai for several weeks at a time during different times of the year. November thru April/May is very nice but it does get hot in the summer. Still, it's better weather than a lot of places... ;)

BTW Peter, you don't look very happy in your space suit.

when is the summer months in Hawaii ?

Bruce Page
07-08-2012, 2:12 PM
Ray, the hot months are the same as the mainland, June thru September. I’ve seen it cool down nicely in Sept/Oct. But I’ve seen it hot in Sept/Oct. too. It didn’t help that I always worked on the dryer west side of the Island.

ray hampton
07-08-2012, 3:28 PM
Ray, the hot months are the same as the mainland, June thru September. I’ve seen it cool down nicely in Sept/Oct. But I’ve seen it hot in Sept/Oct. too. It didn’t help that I always worked on the dryer west side of the Island.

the weather here in KY comes from the West toward the East, how can other states and nations weather come from the East

Bruce Page
07-08-2012, 3:58 PM
Ray, I’m no meteorologist but I would think it is all tied into the subtropical jet stream and the way it undulates over the planet.

Eddie Watkins
07-08-2012, 4:15 PM
Today is the coolest day we have had this week. At 3:00pm it is 97 with 41% humidity. We are expecting some rain this afternoon and tomorrow so the humidity is high(for Oklahoma). The summer as a whole has been pretty ordinary so far. All the hot weather is not coming thru this area. I guess it is passing north of us.

ray hampton
07-08-2012, 4:23 PM
Ray, I’m no meteorologist but I would think it is all tied into the subtropical jet stream and the way it undulates over the planet.

this word "undulates "I were stuck in traffic several years ago and sat there watching a dust devil spin a piece of paper for what must been maybe 5 minutes or 30 seconds, dust devils may be small but they are a tornado and will teach you that you can not predict the path of a tornado

Brian Kent
07-08-2012, 4:56 PM
now this is amazing, Death Valley are the hotter place in the states but 124 degrees are cold compare to the record of 140 degrees in this valley

Which valley, Ray? somewhere in Kentucky or Death Valley's record? 140 is horrendous.

Bob Turkovich
07-08-2012, 5:04 PM
141 was the track temperature last weekend at the Kentucky Speedway, not the air temperature. The highest recorded temperature on Earth was 136 in Libya almost 70 years ago. The highest US temperature was just over 130 in Death Valley almost 100 years ago.

Doesn't really matter... anywhere over 100 is just too hot!

ray hampton
07-08-2012, 5:31 PM
Which valley, Ray? somewhere in Kentucky or Death Valley's record? 140 is horrendous.

Death Valley is very dry and hot but there are a spring of water in D V with a species of fish not found any other place , then D V got a place that get so hot that is are called Hell Furnace or Hell Gate, I am not a pilot but I bet that airplanes avoid flying over D V because of the rising air currants , 2012 had been a unusual year almost from the new year day , if the temperature stay above normal all year will the next snow fall be above the average

if two cars painted black are park in Death Valley all day in the sun with the untint window up , what will the temperature top out at ?

Jim Stewart
07-16-2012, 8:36 AM
Well at least we don't have to visit Death Valley now...we done lived it!