PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunting Finds

bob blakeborough
06-28-2012, 7:40 PM
So yesterday my mom's neighbour asked her what she thought of the local junk store owner because he had some old tools he didn't want anymore. My mom tells him to hold on because I would be visiting and I would be interested. The old fellow said probably not because they are not the type people use anymore because the are not powered. She needless to say asked him to wait...

So after an 8 hour drive I awoke this morning to the neighbour banging on the door so I went to check out his stuff. Well I came home with a Stanley No7c, 4 1/2c, No45 (just set up as a plow with the rosewood fence but no other blades), a No112 Scraper plane, a No.278 with the fence, "another" brace, a big chunk of birds eye maple and a bunch of other odds and ends. The No. 4 1/2c has a broken cheek so it's value is shot, but it seems like it will be completely usable. The top of the handle of the No.7c is broken off but that is an easy fix. Otherwise everything is excellent. I knew the old fellow was downsizing so I took it all. He wanted $80.00 but I only had 2 $50.00 bills so I just gave him the extra $20.00 anyways and figured I did all right. I wasn't looking to grind him down. Some of this stuff was his dads and he seemed happy to see it go to someone who actually wants to use it and not just flip it for a profit...

Matt Radtke
06-28-2012, 8:07 PM
Well, that beats even my greatest score by about a factor of 10 or 20. Pretty sure the 112 or 278 alone would fetch more than what you paid on the 'bay.

Jim Koepke
06-28-2012, 8:18 PM
Nice find.

Wish it were mine.

jtk