PDA

View Full Version : Quebec City visit - Hotel recommendations?

Peter Pedisich
06-28-2012, 3:07 PM
Hi,

looking to visit Quebec City and so many hotels look good (and expensive) online, but wanted some firsthand accounts to avoid surprises.
Anyone have any favorites or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Larry Edgerton
06-30-2012, 6:40 AM
Learn to speak french if you don't already.

I don't, and I have found that that the whole province is #1 on my list places with rude jerks. Waitresses would turn and walk away as soon as I spoke english, etc. People would see my Michigan plate and honk and flip me off. And so forth....

I have not bought a single product made in the province since. 13 years.

Nova Scotia on the other hand is as pleasant a place to spend time as anywhere I have ever been. Halafax is nice this time of year....

Larry

Jim Matthews
06-30-2012, 7:51 AM
I haven't been since 1998. That said, the Chateau Frontenac is not getting any younger. It's a nice building to view, with plenty of daily attractions.

It is also a clumsy 1950's retrofit of an ancient military installation, with all the comforts that implies. I had a courtyard room, and all night the horse drawn carriages would pass by.
Trip advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d575089-Reviews-Four_Points_by_Sheraton_Quebec-Quebec_City_Quebec.html) has a reasonable rating system, and shows many offerings just outside the old city - where I would stay.

FYI - Any restaurant that makes the staff wear Bretagne get up deserves a pass - it's all hat, no cattle (unless you really like overboiled potatoes) - I liked street food from carts, when I could find it.
The Pakistani and Cambodian stuff was brilliant, and inexpensive. I made the mistake of signing on for a bus tour to some older churches that was long, uncomfortable and every ancient chapel was under restoration.

Were I to do it again, I would unpack at the hotel and go no further than the local taxis would take me.

If the weather is good, the Plains of Abraham (http://www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/_en/index.php) are an eye-opener. It's where the dominant language of North America was established.

A few words of French won't hurt, but struggling with a new language before you leave isn't necessary. Canadians (even les Quebecoise) are bilingual.
If you can say please and thank you in any language, you'll get by just fine. (Unless you go all the way out onto Gaspesie.)

French Canadiens are very much aware that you could spend your tourist dollars nearby - I find them nice people, helpful if you're willing to take advice.
Slip the concierge a little money, and you'll get the skinny. ($10 goes a long way, and will tap the local knowledge base.)

Pictures of your trip would be nice - I've got little kids, travel is a rare luxury these days.

jim
wpt, ma

Chuck Wintle
06-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Learn to speak french if you don't already.

I don't, and I have found that that the whole province is #1 on my list places with rude jerks. Waitresses would turn and walk away as soon as I spoke english, etc. People would see my Michigan plate and honk and flip me off. And so forth....

I have not bought a single product made in the province since. 13 years.

Nova Scotia on the other hand is as pleasant a place to spend time as anywhere I have ever been. Halafax is nice this time of year....

Larry
Nova scotia is really nice..very laid back. Newfoundland is fantastic also.

Chuck Wintle
06-30-2012, 3:11 PM
A word of caution for those americans visiting montreal or quebec....never leave anything of value inside your car....a lot smash and grab crimes in these cities. What the locals hope is you won't report the crime and, again because of language, you will be at a disadvantage.

Curt Harms
07-01-2012, 8:30 AM
I've not been outside of Montreal really but found the ability of customer service people to smoothly switch between languages remarkable. Or help one person on the phone in french and a second person in english at the same time. But then, I sometimes struggle with one language :p.

Chuck Wintle
07-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I've not been outside of Montreal really but found the ability of customer service people to smoothly switch between languages remarkable. Or help one person on the phone in french and a second person in english at the same time. But then, I sometimes struggle with one language :p.
for me its english and spanish

Keith Westfall
07-07-2012, 5:12 PM
Was there for a convention a few years ago, and found it pretty good for friendly (sorry, don't remember where we stayed), but my wife toured a lot and always found people in the different shops friendly. She only encountered 2 young girls on the street who she asked directions - and they didn't (or maybe wouldn't) speak English.

Really enjoyed the history, did a few tours (all in English) and overall had a really good experience. It's a great place to play tourist...

Lloyd Kerry
07-07-2012, 11:10 PM
This is a good website to check hotels: http://www.quebeccityhotels.com/

I was there in 2008 for a week. I was amazed how well the locals either spoke English, or made the attempt to. I was embarrassed that I couldn't try to speak French to them. Thirty years ago, I found them less friendly, as Larry alluded to above, but not anymore.
You reap what you sow... Have a great trip!

Peter Kelly
07-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Might want to stay outside the wall. Hotels and restaurants quite a bit less expensive.

Better yet, plan a trip to the Maritimes instead! ;)

Rick Fisher
07-11-2012, 3:39 AM
I was there a few years ago, its a beautiful city .. Learn 4-5 French words, smile and be a gentleman.. The French people are very friendly if you treat them with respect.. There are jerks everywhere, but as another fella said " you reap what you sow " ..

Bryan Cowing
07-11-2012, 5:41 AM
We toured the walled area of the city for a day, but be sure to take the carriage ride. Fellow we had was very entertaining. 45 minute guided tour. A few pics
236576236580236579236578 236577

Peter Pedisich
07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks all! I was originally going to Nova Scotia, but the ferry from Maine has been cancelled back in '09-'10, so the drive was too much to go up and around. It then became QC.

Larry Edgerton
07-12-2012, 7:57 PM
Thanks all! I was originally going to Nova Scotia, but the ferry from Maine has been cancelled back in '09-'10, so the drive was too much to go up and around. It then became QC.

Peter

I had heard that the Cat was closed, and that the old ferry was no longer around. That can't help them up there. Not a lot of industry and the tourist dollars I'm sure are a big help. Still, I would love to live in Nova Scotia, nicest bunch of people I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with. I want to go back to Halifax and take pictures of some of the wonderfull small homes there. The homes are loaded with cool little details, and so well kept.

I have taken the old boat, and the Cat, and the Cat was amazing. 36,000 hp in four engines has to burn some serious fuel though. I would take the old boat again though in a heartbeat. Next time I go I may just fly in and rent a car.

Wherever you go, have a great journey.......

Larry

Larry Edgerton
07-12-2012, 8:02 PM
I was there a few years ago, its a beautiful city .. Learn 4-5 French words, smile and be a gentleman.. The French people are very friendly if you treat them with respect.. There are jerks everywhere, but as another fella said " you reap what you sow " ..

Ya, I have traveled to a lot of places that saying hello to a waitress is considered rude.:rolleyes: