PDA

View Full Version : Plane finishing - Israel out of tung oil !

Matthew N. Masail
06-28-2012, 4:53 AM
it's true... but I can wait a few weeks for the shipment if it's best. my other options are here

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/oils

I can also use sanding sealer and wax... but they only have a type thats ment for "prior to further applications of Friction Polish and Melamine Lacquer". would that work?

Linseed oil is not an option. I have never used finishing oils before... so I'm not sure what to do. is it better to use an oil that can penetrate deep?

Jack Curtis
06-28-2012, 6:01 AM
I never finish my Japanese planes, and so far they've held up perfectly.

Christian Castillo
06-28-2012, 6:25 AM
I went on a suggestion posted by Bob Rozaieski when he talked about his routine for cleaning old wooden planes. He uses Howards Feed-n-wax on those planes and I just recently used some on my Japanese scraper plane, Feed-N-Wax is fantastic, it doesn't really change the color of the wood at all, yet oils the wood with citrus smell and leaves a nice layer of bees/carnuba wax, the stuff is just fantastic.

Matthew N. Masail
06-28-2012, 6:53 AM
Thanks guy's but I can't get that.... and I do want a finish

Ryan Baker
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Danish oil would work just fine. The finishing oil and tung oil listed there would probably do just fine too. It isn't that critical. Tru-oil would be another good option if you can find a source for it. You could also just use a wax finish if you want.

Kenneth Speed
06-29-2012, 7:26 AM
Can you get Boiled Linseed oil and Turpentine? A 50/50 mix of that should do you and when you can get your Tung oil you can make the change as long as you haven't waxed the plane.

Ken

David Weaver
06-29-2012, 7:51 AM
I'd just wait for tung oil. Teak oil is another option, but tung oil or blo is what I'd use on western planes.

Are there any gun shops over there that might have oils for gunstocks?

Metod Alif
06-29-2012, 8:02 AM
David,
"Are there any gun shops over there"
Is that a trick question?
Best wishes,
Metod

David Weaver
06-29-2012, 9:40 AM
Nope, honest question. I don't know what the laws are like in israel, but over here, the gun shops usually have stock oils and some wood finishing materials.

Matthew N. Masail
06-29-2012, 9:50 AM
David, lets just say that with the tention around here we don't need gun shops adding to that, or making weapons more available. I can only imagin what vould happen.

I'd like to use tung oil but one big concern I'm now giving more attention is the glue line, would any finish be potentially harmful to the glue?

If tung oil is the best I don't mind waiting.

David Weaver
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I only asked that question because i recall a news story over here where the correspondent walked around israel and talked to various people (maybe it varies by region) and a bunch of them had pistols in their belts while they were sitting at a cafe. Who knows where they got them...but now I know they probably didn't get them legally!

Matthew N. Masail
06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
no... you can get a gun license and buy one legally, but it sure as hell isn't from a store, that would probably be robed but certain people very quickly. I appreciate the idea, just saying why I don't have that option.

the news story looked for, staged or went to a place where people carry guns, I'm sure of that.

Kees Heiden
06-29-2012, 1:17 PM
Don't worry about the glueline once the glue is dry.

Matthew N. Masail
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks Kees (-: