PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Cherry Pit Patriot Pen

Billy Tallant
06-28-2012, 3:00 AM
I haven't been on here in a while, so thought I would drop in & post my latest pen. This is a Patriot pen kit with a blank made out of dried Michigan Cherry Pits. This blank did not meet the expectations of one of the blank makers on IAP, so I paid for shipping to give it a try. Did not want the brass tube to show through so I painted my tube red & reverse painted the blank red. Glad I took this step because I was seeing red paint by the time I got this blank turned down. Tried taking light cuts but I had cherry pits popping out while cutting. So then the medium ca came out & started filling holes. I ended up spending a couple of days working on this blank in my spare time to get it to where I wanted it. Finally finished it up with 4 coats of medium ca & 8 coats of thin ca. Pen was mm out to 12k & finished off with plastic polish.

Jim Burr
06-28-2012, 7:53 AM
I saw Ed do a demo on these...scared the crap outa me just watching! Not something your going to see everyday...you'll have folks double-taking that one!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds like it took a lot of extra effort but sure looks like it was worth it! Nice!

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2012, 4:26 PM
That definitely was worth the effort. Great looking pen Billy.

Billy Tallant
06-29-2012, 7:58 PM
I saw Ed do a demo on these...scared the crap outa me just watching! Not something your going to see everyday...you'll have folks double-taking that one!

Thanks for the comments Jim! I've had several people commenting on this one already.

Sounds like it took a lot of extra effort but sure looks like it was worth it! Nice!

Thanks for the comments Steve! Yes it did take a lot more effort than I usually put into a pen but I believe it was worth it.

That definitely was worth the effort. Great looking pen Billy.

Thanks for the comments Bernie! I do appreciate it!

James Combs
06-29-2012, 8:22 PM
A nice looking pen Billy. I do some occasional casting and have been wanting to do some more with objects but haven't taken the time as yet. This might just be the motivator I need.

Donny Lawson
06-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Great looking pen and nice matching colors.

Billy Tallant
06-30-2012, 11:21 AM
A nice looking pen Billy. I do some occasional casting and have been wanting to do some more with objects but haven't taken the time as yet. This might just be the motivator I need.

Thanks for the comments James! I haven't taken up casting yet, but working with blanks like these are giving me the itch to learn how.

Great looking pen and nice matching colors.

Thanks for the comments Donny!