PDA

View Full Version : Marketing a woodworking and contacting web site?

keith micinski
06-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey guys, I recently decided to start my own general contracting business slash woodworking web site and was wondering what you guys though the best way to get my name out there is. I have used craigslist but to be honest most of the people on craigslist are probably not the cliental that are going to be buying custom furniture or having unique projects done. I have so far had a lot of success by word of mouth and am trying to figure out how to get more word of mouth advertising. Please left click on my name in this post, select "Visit My Home Page" to see my web site that is still slightly under construction so if any one has any comments or ideas to make it better they would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Null
06-28-2012, 9:57 AM
Keith

The problem I have with word of mouth advertising is that it can take forever to materialize. Not that I turn it away but I think there are better ways, more effective ways, and ways that let you control your message.

In today's world a web site is all important. I do not believe in do-it-yourself sites. Get a pro to do your site even if you provide all the art and most of the writing (which you should). Find some sites that you like and talk to the web designers.

Make sure that every interior designer in your area knows about you. Sometimes they can be a pain to work with but they get first dibs on clients with money to spend.

Have a brochure ready to hand out that shows examples of your work. Pass out your cards to real estate agents as well.

Very important--be sure your truck has good quality signing--first impressions are important. (I think I can determine how good a contractor is by looking at his truck---is it clean--organized--signed.)

My last woodworking contractor (who I will use again) was referred by the painting contractor who painted my house. (I got his name from the Sherwin Williams store near me.)

Erik Loza
06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
...be sure your truck has good quality signing--first impressions are important. (I think I can determine how good a contractor is by looking at his truck---is it clean--organized--signed.)...

That is a really good point and I want to add a quick story...

My wife and I just had a major remodel done to our house and during the phase when we were interviewing potential builders, there were two that our architect suggested we have out. The first gentleman to come was a very nice man but his truck was a beater and also, he dressed more like one of the trades than a manager or owner. The second gentleman had a similar work truck but it was clean and well maintained and though he likewise was wearing jeans, boots, and a button down shirt (it is Texas, after all, LOL...), his appearance was sharp and professional rather than looking like he had been installing all day, and he took lots of notes during the walk-through. Point being that I wanted to be dealing with the best manager, not the best trade guy.

We ended up going with the second builder, have been satisfied with their work, but most importantly, his bid was almost spot-on. In other words, not a lot of change-orders from their side of things. Probably the primary reason we went with him was that based on our initial impression, he seemed to be very thorough and detail-oriented and this indeed was the case. Could the other builder have done an equally good job? Perhaps but as Mike said, above, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Also, here is an interesting comment from a cabinet maker I used to work with. He told me that in the business complex his shop was located in, where there were several other millwright and cabinet shops, the ones who always seemed to either not survive or have consistent problems were the ones with customized or modified trucks. Lift kits, oversized wheels, etc. To paraphrase Brad, "You know how long that CNC machine needs to be running in order to pay for an $80K truck?" Anyway, the point I took away from that was that there is something to be said for appearing, yourself, sensible about finances since the customer more than likely will be, themselves.

Best of luck with your business!

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Ben Hatcher
06-28-2012, 1:28 PM
A friend of mine has a brother with a landscaping business in Florida. His truck and trailer match in color and are cleaned and detailed regularly. He has been told on many occations that he got the contract because his rig looks good and the home owners don't want vehicles in their high-end neighborhoods that look run down.

Kevin Bourque
06-28-2012, 1:31 PM
When I started my construction business 25 years ago I advertised for a few months in the local newspaper.
I got nothing but nuisance calls from Insurance people and real estate people looking for free estimates.
Also I got calls from people who were getting bids from every contractor in the book to find the lowest price.

Ultimately I got a job by word of mouth in a newly built neighborhood.
The homeowner was so pleased she recommended me to all her neighbors and i was working there for about 2 years.

What I've learned in 25 years is that 99% of my customers wouldn't know good work from bad. If they like you and are comfortable with you they will use you forever.

keith micinski
06-28-2012, 9:03 PM
Keith

The problem I have with word of mouth advertising is that it can take forever to materialize. Not that I turn it away but I think there are better ways, more effective ways, and ways that let you control your message.

In today's world a web site is all important. I do not believe in do-it-yourself sites. Get a pro to do your site even if you provide all the art and most of the writing (which you should). Find some sites that you like and talk to the web designers.

Make sure that every interior designer in your area knows about you. Sometimes they can be a pain to work with but they get first dibs on clients with money to spend.

Have a brochure ready to hand out that shows examples of your work. Pass out your cards to real estate agents as well.

Very important--be sure your truck has good quality signing--first impressions are important. (I think I can determine how good a contractor is by looking at his truck---is it clean--organized--signed.)

My last woodworking contractor (who I will use again) was referred by the painting contractor who painted my house. (I got his name from the Sherwin Williams store near me.)

I like the idea of contacting interior decorators. Your right about that being a good avenue for clients that have money to spend and are really interested in building something unique.

Charlie MacGregor
06-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Keith,
I don't know contracting or business but a lack of knowledge has never stopped me from offering my two cents. In looking at the furniture section, I'm thinking your photos don't meet the same standard as your furniture making. You could hire a photographer but you could also get far with a backdrop, a couple of clip-on lights and some trial and error. Google "photographing furniture" for some ideas and keep in mind that you can do a good job without expensive lights.

Mike Null
06-29-2012, 7:06 AM
Keith

I have checked out your website. Not to be harsh, but your site is a perfect example of why I say get a pro to do your web site. First, it's quite unattractive so it doesn't make a good first impression. It also looks like you are a jack of all trades master of none. I think this whole thing needs to be re-thought as to what you really want to say and do. Your photos, as previously mentioned, leave something to be desired.

Until you have a good portfolio of work I would consider using drawings as examples of work you can do.

Given your location I would be sure to have more than outdoor projects on the site.

Phil Thien
06-29-2012, 8:55 AM
Keith

I have checked out your website. Not to be harsh, but your site is a perfect example of why I say get a pro to do your web site. First, it's quite unattractive so it doesn't make a good first impression. It also looks like you are a jack of all trades master of none. I think this whole thing needs to be re-thought as to what you really want to say and do. Your photos, as previously mentioned, leave something to be desired.

Until you have a good portfolio of work I would consider using drawings as examples of work you can do.

Given your location I would be sure to have more than outdoor projects on the site.

Phil's rule #1 on web sites: Don't overspend, and be wary of professional designers that over-promise results.

There is a local outfit that advertises heavily on the radio. Their message is that they can substantially increase sales of any company with a new web site. They even include (in their radio spots) testimonials from outfits for which they've done work.

The obvious question: Why are they trying to reach prospects via the radio, if web is so terrific? And why don't they drive traffic to their web site, they mention only their phone #.

Phil's rule #2 on web sites: No matter what you do, about half of people will find something they don't like about your web site. Whether some think it isn't visually appealing, or loads too slowly, or requires flash (they don't have flash, they hate Adobe, and won't use any web site that uses an Adobe extension), doesn't display right on an iPhone, etc.

Honestly, the OP's site is fine. I do think it would benefit from a bit of organization (separate carpentry projects from woodworking/cabinetmaking).

To go to the original topic of the post, WOM requires a substantial customer base. And it has to be cultivated. Make sure your clients have marketing materials. Stay in touch with mailings showing your current work. Thank people that refer work to you routinely with hand-made gifts.

Image is important. Make sure your truck is clean and organized. Make sure you project a professional image.

Doug Carpenter
06-29-2012, 9:28 AM
I owned a contracting business for 23 years. I have to agree with two items covered above.

Word of mouth advertising is to say the least frustrating. And most people don't know good work when they see it.

I always hated leaving my business in the hands of word of mouth advertising, on one hand a large amout of your customers never seem to reccomend you to their friends. I had many customers that used me again and again for 23 years and never once did I get a job where they had referred me to a friend. I think some people don't want to get involved. So you need to take advantage of being in thier neighborhood.

I did additions that often lasted months. So you have to be aware that the neighbor hood is watching.

1. Get clearance from your customer to put a sign in their yard.
2. Keep the job site clean and organized.

3 Don't park nonessential vehicles in front of neighbor's houses.
4. Try to have nice company vehicles with company decals parked on the job.
5. Don't drag the job out, stay on the job untill it is finsihed; don't do multiple jobs at once unless you have the man power to get them all done in a timely manner.

People don't always know quality work when they see it but they do know quality workers! Limit loud radios, and make everybody wear a t shirt with your company name on it. I had one kid come to work with a hot chick sucking on a popsicle on it! It was that day I decided to provide t shirts with my company name on them. lol. Don't be afraid to ask your customers what they thought of your crew. If your customers aren't comfortable with them they wont refer you.

Architects and Interior decorators are great allies. They can send you lots of work, it helps if you can reciprocate.

The thing I never liked about word of mouth advertising was that I always felt like that was letting your public control your projects. I always felt like I wanted better control of the types of projects i was doing but it is difficult unless you have a huge advertising butget with you will not. for example we would do and addition on a house and as a result do a totally new roof. doing that roof would cause you to do 3 more roofs in that neighborhood. roofing was not my main line but the work was there and you have payday coming on friday so you do them.

The other annoying thing would be losing a job and hearing the person say "I am going wit the guys my sister used" for no other reason than they trust someone elses judgment before they trust thiers.

This doesn't answer you questions per say but I hope it helps offer some insight.

Zach Callum
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I know that you are a contractor, but what is your specialty? You list everything from decks, to plumbing, to custom furniture. What is the most profitable for you? It might be custom decks. If so, market yourself as the best deck guy around, and forget about the list of 50 other handyman tasks that you can do.

Matt Day
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Are you a licensed contractor? I didn't see that listed on your site. I agree the site needs some tweaking (and in the OP's defense, he said it was under construction!), but things like a business address help too, rather than just listed where you work.

One other thing - what is your company's name? Is it just Renovations? Or Michiana Renovations? It's hard to have word of mouth work if somebody says "that guy" rather than XYZ Construction.

Good luck!

Greg Portland
06-29-2012, 1:47 PM
Keith

I have checked out your website. Not to be harsh, but your site is a perfect example of why I say get a pro to do your web site. First, it's quite unattractive so it doesn't make a good first impression. It also looks like you are a jack of all trades master of none. I think this whole thing needs to be re-thought as to what you really want to say and do. Your photos, as previously mentioned, leave something to be desired..
IMO, the overall -layout- of the site is not too bad. The pictures and included information do have some issues. The goal of your website should be to make a prospective client pick up the phone and give you a call (then you can try to make a sale).

I 100% agree with Mike r.e. the "jack of all trades" comment. I see some fine WWing furniture pictures, some demolition pictures, some deck construction... it's not clear what your expertise is? I've been hiring a lot of contractors lately for various home projects (HVAC install, roof cleaning & repair, and house painting) so my next comments are from a customer viewpoint.

1) I don't see any information r.e. licensing, bonding, or insurance on your website. This is an immediate non-starter for me if I'm hiring you to do any major work around my home... I wouldn't even call you to ask for the information.
2) I couldn't find you on Angie's List. One trick the local trades use out here is to provide a discount for Angie's List customers (which encourages them to post a good review online).
3) You are not selling your work... you are selling *you*. IMO, the home page should have information about you and your company (family business, been in the trades for XYZ years, etc.) & what you can do for the client. The customer should say "hmm, this sounds like a nice guy, let's take a look at his work". You need to emphasize the personal connection here... otherwise someone will hire the big corporate outfit with their glossy brochures.
4) Customers like a story. I would suggest cutting down on the number of pictures per page and instead provide a paragraph describing the project, some of the challenges, the quality of your work, etc. This should answer the question of "your deck looks nice but this guy can do it for $1k less... why should I hire you?".

IMO, you should have two websites (with a link to one other). One is "Renovations construction" and one is "Renovations Fine Woodworking". They are separate concepts... including them on the same website will only lead to confusion.

Rich Engelhardt
06-29-2012, 2:57 PM
We deal with a lot of contractors - as well as trying to deal with potential contractors - for our rentals.
I say potential only because:

They don't return phone calls...

We make repeated calls to contractors and IMH-Estimate, only one in a dozen will bother to return calls.

Want to be a raging success?
Easy, just call someone back.
Your competition doesn't so your miles ahead of them in that repect..

FWIW - we had two trees removed two months ago. We called 12,,,,12,,,landscapers/tree services.
Of the 12 we called, only two - two - returned our calls.
Of the 12 that returned our calls, they both came out and gave us an estimate.
We called the one guy back and told him we wanted him to do the work.....and he never called back to arrange a time.

It's the same story over and over and over and over with every trade we try to deal with.

Also +1 to everything mentioned above - you need to arrange the site and list any licences and certifications, as well as including being fully insured.
A physical address is a good idea also.
There's a lot of fly by nights and storm chasers out there who's address is Holiday Inn Express...

johnny means
06-29-2012, 9:30 PM
So much to say. Your website has a decent layout and is easily viewed. You have to get your furniture out of the shop and photographed in a more elegant manner. but this is a little thing. There's plenty of good advice here, but more and more getting jobs is about being found online.

You have a respectable website up so your on the right track. Your biggest challenge is going to be attracting hits. It's simple math, no matter what you conversion rate is, the more views you get, the more work you get. If every single Google search for custom woodworking in your area gets your site seen, you'll do very well. Learn what SEO and keywords are. Use them vigorously. Post Youtube videos, almost every Google search has a youtube video on the first page. check into posting press releases and news articles. If you don't know about those things Guru.com and Fiver.com are great sources for very affordable web help. We have invested very little in a website that has gotten us clients from australia to Switzerland, NY to LA.

I notice "Southbend Indiana Woodworking" didn't return me any videos. Google likes to return videos for queries. So if you posted one or several, you would almost certainly be seen by anyone searching that topic.

Search "girls bed" or "princess room" and you'll see a little company call Sweet Dreams pop up there, right next to all the big hitters in retail. We convert very few prospects, a fraction of one percent. But a good web presence makes up for it.

keith micinski
06-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys it has been really helpful. One thing I couldn't disagree with more are the comments about having to much listed and not specializing more. One of the biggest differences between what I want to do and what all of the other guys in my area are doing is I want to be able to literally do every aspect of your project from start to finish without having to hire outside subcontractors. I also feel that if I tried to put emphasis on any one aspect of my work, then for every person that would say "ok this guy specializes in decks thats exactly what I want" there would be 5 other people that say this guy does decks fine but I really want a guy that can do a bathroom renovation from top to bottom with custom tile, a 5x7 custom shower with mosaic tile, a 6 head shower unit, custom vanity and storage which is the job I just picked up yesterday. I almost missed out on doing an entire walk in closet unit because the guy didn't realize that I also have made a few of those and I just don't have any photos of them yet to put on the web site. Luckily in passing as we were leaving he mentioned that he was going to have someone look at it for him and design something and I was able to get that also. I don't know any way of Specializing in something without detracting from everything else I do. I have actually gotten a lot of good feed back from people that know me and know my work and still say " Wow I wasn't aware you could do all of that, I had someone just ask me if I knew anyone that does that." That having been said, I guess I am wrong but I kind of thought the web site showed that making furniture is something I specialize in maybe a little more, thus the extra tab to separate it from all of my other projects.
The quality of the pictures is completely my fault and I totally agree with what you guys are saying but the bottom line is 6 weeks ago this was a thing I did on the side and I was forced into trying to make this work full time because after 15 years of good road work in my area things finally went south along with my job. I have been trying to get the web site going while trying to pick up jobs wherever I can to pay the bills so the main priority was just to get something up there on the web and then try and improve things as time goes by. As far as putting out a bunch of money to have a pro build a web site and to hire out photography I am so far from that I can't even waste my time looking into the costs right now.
I agree on the Licensing, Bonding and insurance and this is something I have been working the last week. Doing this on the side every once in a while and doing a lot of work for acquaintances this was never a priority until now
I also don't understand how there could be any confusion on the name of the company being Renovations. I don't know how to make that any clearer then it is with the giant logo on center stage and I hope no one else is making that mistake. The reason I have to use Michianarenovations as the web site is because just renovations will cost my a paltry 60k. Enough said about that. Also the reason I have Michiana and all of the surrounding areas is because these are key words that show up in google searches and to be honest with you I don't think giving only an address would do me any good at all because that doesn't tell people where I will work and I live in a weird area where even though I am 8 miles from the Michigan line so it isn't that far people treat Michigan and Indiana like they are two completely different parts of the world.
Again, the point of this post was to get other peoples input and ideas that have experience in this area and everyones opinion here has been helpful. While I might not agree with everything I am smart enough to know that "What I think" isn't always the most important thing and I can't stress enough how glad I am to have a place to go to get all of this information and I thank everyone that responded.

keith micinski
06-30-2012, 1:02 AM
Also while it would be great if the web site can start generating me leads the number one thing I wanted to be able to do was direct people to it myself so that I could stop saying " What's your email and I can send you some photos." So far it has accomplished that for me.

keith micinski
06-30-2012, 1:12 AM
I can't agree more about communicating and calling people back. Showing up on time and doing what you say you are going to do seems to be the number one complaint I have heard and that is my number one goal to provide not just because it's good business but because its the right thing to do and it's how I want to do things for me.

This is why I put this line on my home page.

We know that understanding your project needs and communicating effectively is key. We do exactly what we say we are going to do, when we say we are going to do it. Expect to be satisfied, as all projects have a 100% guarantee. Your happiness is our success!

I applied to get my address setup with Google and I just received the post card to finalize the process today.

Rich Engelhardt
06-30-2012, 6:46 AM
I had to go back and have another look at the site.
They're right about the name.
It looks like your featuring what you do - Renovations - and not who you are - Renovations.
To add to the confusion, your email address is @michianarenovations.
That makes it look like the company name is Michianarenovations.
Speaking of which - my $.02 is that I like that name a lot better than Renovations.

Tom Fischer
06-30-2012, 6:57 AM
1) People buying in most high end purchase categories like to buy from specialists. There's some large companies that can sell everything (e.g. Macys Dept Store),
but most folks like to buy high end stuff from folks who do one or two things, and do them well.

2) Furniture (as an industry) is sucking wind. Giants like Furniture Brands are close to bankruptcy.
A lot of household names in here:
http://www.furniturebrands.com/Brands/Our-Brands.aspx
Not saying you can't be successful making high end furniture, but, for sure, you can't make a lot of mistakes.

3) Good advice from others already, especially, getting high end furniture photographed in a more "elegant manner".
Here's a good example of the direction you need for that: http://www.doucetteandwolfefurniture.com/Portfolio.html
(Hope Doucette and Wolfe don't mind folks looking. They seem like nice people)
Also, if you check youtube, Doucette and Wolfe has several vids on how they make their reproductions. Very cool, and very free.
My favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XD7UQ8uosE

Here's another talented guy. I think he works by himself
http://ericjohnsonsfurniture.com/
Very nice pics.
The "drop-shadows" in the pics are done with Adobe Photoshop or Corel Paint. Actually pretty easy to do (if you have backdrop paper)

As far as pics for your website, can hire a pro to help. Otherwise, go to a large photography supply place, price out a roll of backdrop paper (don't know the proper name)
It comes on a roll, maybe 15' X 15', maybe costs $150. I used to use that stuff. Unroll, and hang it from a steel girder (or something overhead) with two Pony spring clamps.
When you roll it back up, don't get creases in it. They start to look bad in the pics.

Good luck!

Larry Edgerton
06-30-2012, 7:31 AM
When I started my construction business 25 years ago I advertised for a few months in the local newspaper.
I got nothing but nuisance calls from Insurance people and real estate people looking for free estimates.
Also I got calls from people who were getting bids from every contractor in the book to find the lowest price.

Ultimately I got a job by word of mouth in a newly built neighborhood.
The homeowner was so pleased she recommended me to all her neighbors and i was working there for about 2 years.

What I've learned in 25 years is that 99% of my customers wouldn't know good work from bad. If they like you and are comfortable with you they will use you forever.

I found the same to be true. I have not had a new customer in over five years. I do not have a sign on my truck. I wear work cloths, neat, but work cloths every day. I don't have a flashy office. When other contractors were losing their homes trying to maintain the image, I am still working and all my bills are paid.

Advertising brought in tire kickers. "Can you build me cabinets for the same price as Lowes?" If you want to compete with the bottom feeders advertising works, but even with some very high class full color adds I was wasting more time on poor prospects than I had to waste. Time is money.

That being said as I switch away from construction and concentrate more on shop work I will need to have a website, and I am going to pay someone to design and develop one that works. Not looking forward to that, but I need to stop climbing on houses soon so I have no choice.

Larry

Larry Edgerton
06-30-2012, 7:38 AM
On the name thing. My company name is Crooked Tree Joinery. I thought it was cool, and the logo is nice, but what I didn't realize is that very few people know what joinery means. I'll have to explain that in the website.......

Larry

Larry Edgerton
06-30-2012, 7:48 AM
Kieth, I am posting as I read through the thread so don't mind my multiple posts.

I do not have a web site but I do have a CD with many pictures of my jobs on it that I hand out. Its cheap, and I keep a few in my truck if anyone expresses interest.

In it is a statement that I do not have an office with a secretary, so you do not have to pay for one. I do however have a shop with only the best and this is a direct benifit to you as a customer. Not worded exactly like that but you get the idea.

Larry

Rich Engelhardt
06-30-2012, 8:25 AM
Not looking forward to that, but I need to stop climbing on houses soon so I have no choice.
& therein lies a sad tale...
Decent guys ( and decent contractors) like Larry are a dieing breed.
The vast majority of our "regulars" are over 55.

Myk Rian
06-30-2012, 9:32 AM
Re-do the picture of the table on your site.
The car and jointer make it look like you work out of your garage.

keith micinski
06-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Again the photos are definitely an issue and I would love to be able to run out and get professional quality photos today but I have to address things one thing at a time. The original idea of this thread was to find out ways to better MARKET the site and my company not to just find out better ways to make the web site better. It is under construction like a lot of things in my life right now and I realize that, so while I appreciate all of the input, again I am looking for more ideas on how to to get my name out there like the idea about contacting interior designers. As far as the name goes I really can't believe a second person could somehow be confused about the name of my company by looking at the web site. I didn't want to use Michiana renovations as a company name because the last thing I want to do is have to live in northern indiana for the rest of my life to justify having that name. :D I had no choice, there are literally millions of companies that have a different web site then their actual names and probably for the same reason I have to have one. I can't see changing my entire business marketing and name that I have been doing for years because the website has a different name. The email address is a bit confusing and was setup by my web guy. I haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Scott Shepherd
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I didn't want to use Michiana renovations as a company name because the last thing I want to do is have to live in northern indiana for the rest of my life to justify having that name. :D I had no choice, there are literally millions of companies that have a different web site then their actual names and probably for the same reason I have to have one. I can't see changing my entire business marketing and name that I have been doing for years because the website has a different name. The email address is a bit confusing and was setup by my web guy. I haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Keith, with all due respect, this is part of the issue you probably will have moving forward. You don't get a site that represents your business because you had no other choice. Spend a little more time getting a name that does work better. Your domain name doesn't have to match your company exactly, that's for sure, but there are underlying things that matter that you probably aren't even aware of, based on your thread.

Let me see if I can explain some of it better. If your domain name is micinskirenovations (which by the way is available), when people go to search engines and type in micinski renovations, the domain name is almost a perfect match for that search term. So it will typically bring you to the top of the list or at least a LOT closer to the top. However, if you have the domain can'tlocateabetterdomainrenovations dot com, and they search for micinski renovations, then they'll never find you, without a lot of search engine optimization work on your end.

While it may seem really really trivial to you at this point, those little things are the exact things that will get you better results from your internet marketing.

You don't even have to change the domain you have, you can just buy another domain name or two and forward them to your site (not the best, but it'll work).

Marketing a website takes a lot of effort and a lot of time, along with a bit of education about the matter. There are many things to do with getting you work from the website, but be forewarned, there is no golden key. All short cuts to the top have serious risks that could end up in a bad place, so take the time and do it right.

Get yourself a Facebook page (for your business, not your personal self), link to your site from there, start posting on Facebook. Join other social networks and get the site linked to those and start using those as well.

Greg Portland
07-03-2012, 2:33 PM
OK, I know we're moving on from the website but I have a few more comments before I list my marketing suggestion @ the end.

You don't even have to change the domain you have, you can just buy another domain name or two and forward them to your site (not the best, but it'll work).<-- THIS. Changing your business name would not make sense if you've already built up some word of mouth advertising. However, you want to make it as easy as possible for search engines to find your page if they type in anything approaching the correct business name. Unfortunately, typing in "renovation" is going to hit millions of pages. Google will let you pay to bump your site up to the top of the list but it will be very $$$ for this specific word (you're bidding against everyone else who is selling a renovation product as you found out when trying to acquire the domain name). You can also pay to bump up the search result based on your location (say anyone within certain area codes would get your website 1st).... this may be significantly cheaper.

One of the biggest differences between what I want to do and what all of the other guys in my area are doing is I want to be able to literally do every aspect of your project from start to finish without having to hire outside subcontractors. I also feel that if I tried to put emphasis on any one aspect of my work, then for every person that would say "ok this guy specializes in decks thats exactly what I want" there would be 5 other people that say this guy does decks fine but I really want a guy that can do a bathroom renovation from top to bottom with custom tile, a 5x7 custom shower with mosaic tile, a 6 head shower unit, custom vanity and storage which is the job I just picked up yesterday.Right, and that is important information to get across to the client. People want a 1-stop solution. I think the issue is with how you're getting that information across. When you present a detailed list you run the risk that people will not contact you if they don't see a specific item. People will want to know in < 5 seconds if your company can do job XYZ. IMO, a more generic statement like "if you can dream it we can build it" and "specializes in all types of residential improvements and remodeling" is a better option for the home page.

On the home page people want to see a few things: 1) a mission statement / info about your company, 2) Info about you as a person, 3) A few client testimonials, a few pictures of your work (rotating GIF image would be ideal), and 5) Some inducement to keep clicking. An example of a mission statement would be --> "Renovations LLC is a licensed, bonded, and insured general contractor serving both Michigan and Indiana. Based in townXYZ, MI, we specialize in residential and light commercial new construction and remodeling. Through an ongoing commitment to excellent quality work for our clients, we have achieved a solid reputation of providing superior construction services." Information about you should reflect your years of experience in the trades and some personal information (a lot of people want to deal with "local, family-run businesses"). Any sales or referral programs should be mentioned on the home page to keep people interested. You can sell them on your quality/price when they call for a quote.

Suggestion: Buy a 1-month Angie's List membership and see what the A-list rated general contractors are doing in your area. Visit their websites, see their promos, etc.

I am looking for more ideas on how to to get my name out there like the idea about contacting interior designers.
Some ideas:
1) Contact previous customers with an offer of 5% off the next job you do for them if they report their experiences on Angie's List. This gets the good word out there + the customer will want to use that 5% discount :-).
2) Offer cash bonuses to customers or offer a big discount on a service visit on successful referrals.
3) Sub contract out to other GC's & leave your card/information with the home owner. For example, if you installed some bathroom tile & the homeowner loved it then they would recommend you to other friends for tile work. At that point you could position yourself for a larger job. The downside is all the hassles/issues of working for the GC. This is more of a "get the business rolling" tactic.
4) Get a good sign for your van or truck with an easy to read business name and phone number (1-XXX-123-RENO, etc.) as folks drive by. This is a moving advertisement that is parked by the home as you're working on it. IMO this is a better option that asking the home owner if you can hammer a sign into their yard.
5) Proper setup of the website with search engine tags & notifications (your webmaster will know more).
6) Contact local TV and radio shows (DIY type programs, morning shows, etc.) and see if they are interested in taping a segment on a novel product. For example, a few years ago a contracting buddy got the local TV station to tape a 2-3 minute segment on the "Gutter Guard" product that he installs (leaves wash over, rain goes in). His phone rang off the hook for months after that. The product has to be new and interesting to the viewing audience & easily understood. These segments usually run around spring (renovation season) or fall (winterizing season).
- Another option is to appear on a radio or TV show as an expert. For example, our local DIY fix-it show has a different expert on each week (usually in exchange for some advertising). These stations and shows often keep a public list of recommended contractors (anyone who was on the show) & they advertise this list each week.
7) Offer a few freebies with each project. For example, 2 free deck cleanings with each deck. This gives you the opportunity to 1) differentiate yourself from other deck builders and 2) re-visit the customer two more times over the next 1-2 years. While there, ask them how they like the new deck, is everything the way they want it, etc.... this will trigger another round of word-of-mouth advertising (you are a contractor who cares, you are providing after-sale support, etc.).
8) Throw in an unadvertised freebie @ the end of the job. After a water heater or HVAC install --> "Hey, I happened to notice you don't have a CO2 monitor in your house & I had this one in my truck", etc. The $25 you spend here will definitely pay itself back. Just don't give out the same thing to everyone or people will come to expect it. After a counter job --> "Here's some spray that will keep your backsplash and counter looking like new". You get the idea.
9) Track what folks are saying about you on the various web sites (Angie's List, etc.). Respond in a professional manner to anyone who had issues. NEVER get into a debate or argument.