PDA

View Full Version : Laserable plastic bends when cutting or burning.

Roger Leiva
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Hi all.
When I record or short IPI laserable mate 2 ply 1/16 without holding the bars next to the cutting table, the plastic sheet will bend at the ends and I hold on an object that can cause a blow to the head of the laser . This is a problem that happens to any of you? Anyone have an idea or suggestion for me not to go above? How do I prevent the blade curvature at the ends of the side, which affects the level with respect to the lens and affects the engraving or cutting? Much appreciate the suggestions.
Roger Lewis (Costa Rica) 24 60 Watt Helix

John Noell
06-28-2012, 1:06 AM
Yes, this is a common problem, especially with the thinnest plastics, if you engrave much of the surface area it will bow upwards if not held down. There are many tips here about hold downs. Small magnets (the rare earth kind, as in computer hard drives) can be very helpful.

Joe Pelonio
06-28-2012, 7:57 AM
You can also use 1/2" Masking tape in a few places around the edges

Mike Null
06-28-2012, 8:02 AM
Roger

Very common problem. I try to bend mine flat before engraving and once in awhile it works. Otherwise I use weights where possible.

Tim Bateson
06-28-2012, 8:07 AM
I use an engraving mat that is semi-sticky. Seems pricey, but I have found it to be worth every penny.

Roger Leiva
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions, I am valuable and very practical. They are very necessary to avoid losing work laserables that are quite expensive.
Roger Leiva (Costa Rica, Helix 24, 60 Watt)

Matthew F Kirwan
06-28-2012, 4:04 PM
Roger. Epilog's manual advises Frequency of 2500 when cutting laser able plastic. In fact, use only 500. This will take a lot of excess heat out of the cutting process. IPI's Lasertuff product is much more stable as well when it comes to staying level.