PDA

View Full Version : New guy, just got a new table saw!!

Jesse Ridder
06-27-2012, 2:19 PM
Hey guys, I've been roaming around this site for a while now and decided to post.
I just bought a new Ridgid R4512 Table Saw last night. Got everything all pulled out of the box, and will
assemble tonight.
Just wanted to share my excitement. Of course I'd love a Powermatic, Unisaw, etc. But, that's out of my price range. Seems to be decent for the price.
Cheers!
Jesse

Carl Babel
06-27-2012, 2:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek.

Congratulations and enjoy your new saw - they do seem like nice saws. I recommend upgrading to a Freud combination blade.

Paul McGaha
06-27-2012, 2:33 PM
Congratulations Jesse and Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Please post some pictures of it when you can.

PHM

Prashun Patel
06-27-2012, 2:46 PM
Welcome! Post some pix. It's fun to share the glee.

frank shic
06-27-2012, 2:49 PM
welcome and please do share the joy with us!

Carl Beckett
06-27-2012, 3:05 PM
Yes, welcome!

And post #1.

By post #3 you should have mastered the art of attaching pictures. ;)

We like pictures.

In fact, if you dont put up pictures we will keep bugging you until you do.

And if you really want to make a splash - you would post an unpacking/decrating/setup picture tutorial of the experience.

Yep, pictures.

:D

Van Huskey
06-27-2012, 4:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek!!!!

Buck Williams
06-27-2012, 6:07 PM
Congrats on the new tool, lot of fine furniture has been made on $500 or less contractor saws. In a lot of cases its the Indian not the arrow, the chef not the stove. Have fun, be safe.

Larry Browning
06-27-2012, 6:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek!

Oh, and BTW:
Rule NUMBER ONE around here: No pictures, it didn't happen!

We will let it slide on post #1. But starting at post #2 WE NEED PICTURES!:eek:

I remember the day I got my first real table saw. I was so excited, my hands were shaking un-packing it!

Trust me, go get you a good blade for that puppy. You won't be sorry. I'd go to Amazon and get one of the Freud combos. That are not terribly expensive and will do wonders for the cut. Here is the one I have (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU84R011-50-tooth-Combination-PermaShield/dp/B0000225V8/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340836058&sr=1-4&keywords=freud+table+saw+blade)
Also, spend some quality time with it adjusting and aligning, that will also do wonders for the cut, and it will get you very familiar with your new saw.

Aaron Berk
06-27-2012, 8:36 PM
6hrs and still no pics?

I'm thinking this didn't really happen.....

Van Huskey
06-27-2012, 8:52 PM
6hrs and still no pics?

I'm thinking this didn't really happen.....

Poor guy is probably out buying a camera...

I think we can give someone a break on their first post... but he can't post about any more new machines without pictures!!! :D

Aaron Berk
06-27-2012, 9:53 PM
Poor guy is probably out buying a camera...

I think we can give someone a break on their first post... but he can't post about any more new machines without pictures!!! :D

LOL, :)

extra words just to make the minimum

Matt Mackinnon
06-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the Creek. All of us started with a first machine. It might not be the latest nor the greatest, but it's always a start. The most important thing you can do is use it. It isn't the brushes that make the artist, it's the way the artist uses the brushes.

Don't be shy to show us what you made. It might seem like nothing compared to some of the wonders posted here. But everyone likes to see what everyone else is working on no matter how trivial it may seem. And remember to ask questions.

Most of all have fun

Matt.

Carl Beckett
06-28-2012, 8:43 AM
Welcome to the Creek. All of us started with a first machine. It might not be the latest nor the greatest, but it's always a start. The most important thing you can do is use it. It isn't the brushes that make the artist, it's the way the artist uses the brushes.

Don't be shy to show us what you made. It might seem like nothing compared to some of the wonders posted here. But everyone likes to see what everyone else is working on no matter how trivial it may seem. And remember to ask questions.

Most of all have fun

Matt.

+1 on this. It can be intimidating at first when you see some of the masters at work here, but everyone started somewhere and I know I made some complete crap ( and Still do sometimes! ), but it was complete crap I was proud of...... :)

(oh, and post some pics..... ;). )

Jesse Ridder
06-28-2012, 9:25 AM
Haha! The pic comments made me laugh!
Last night I got it unpacked and most of it put together, but I'll need a neighbor to help me tip it up so I don't dig into it.
I've had no issues so far, everything seems really solid. So, tonight I'll be attaching the rails and aligning it.
And, I'll definitely post some pics!
First thing I need to do is get a new blade, the cheapie that came with it looks pretty useless.
I'm thinking Freud. Is there a difference between the Freud and the Diablo series?
Is the Diablo just the cheaper version?
Thanks!

Larry Browning
06-28-2012, 9:37 AM
Last night I got it unpacked and most of it put together, but I'll need a neighbor to help me tip it up so I don't dig into it.
I've had no issues so far, everything seems really solid. So, tonight I'll be attaching the rails and aligning it.
First thing I need to do is get a new blade, the cheapie that came with it looks pretty useless.
I'm thinking Freud. Is there a difference between the Freud and the Diablo series?
Thanks!
Yes the Diablo is the cheaper version. However it is probably going to be better than the one that came with the saw. With that said, I think for the money the Freud branded blades are quite a bit better than the Diablo line, and a better value. Spend a little more, get a lot more quality.

Ok, this is post #2..... I don't see any pictures.......

Mike Null
06-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Take a good look at the Forrest Woodworker II. It's the best blade I ever owned.

BTW, I started with a Craftsman and have had two Delta's. I could do just as well on the Craftsman--just had to compensate for the fence but when I tuned everything and added the Forrest I could do about whatever I wanted.

You have a good saw. It'll make some fine pieces for you.

Carl Beckett
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks!

Ok, that's two posts without pics.........

This could get ugly soon......

Carl Beckett
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I just picked up a couple olham blades off eBay at a great price.

(edit: Onsrud, not oldham )

Bill White
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Check on the _Bay for the Onsrud blades that were listed. Great blades, and VERY inexpensive.
I've got Freuds and Diablos. Both work well, but I sure do like the Onsruds I bought.
Bill

Larry Browning
06-28-2012, 1:47 PM
Take a good look at the Forrest Woodworker II. It's the best blade I ever owned.

I can't speak for Jesse, but I think he is on a pretty tight budget.

That Forest is a Cadillac with a Cadillac price (~$115)
He has a Yugo blade ($0)
I recommended a Chevy. (~$60)

Oh yeah Jesse, you will find that for every question about what to buy, we can spend your money like nobodies business! And we will argue about it endlessly.

Aaron Berk
06-28-2012, 2:13 PM
Ok, that's two posts without pics.........

This could get ugly soon......

Yeah I thought we already went over this?
one more post and you'll get suspended :cool:

Andrew Pitonyak
06-28-2012, 2:39 PM
Hey guys, I've been roaming around this site for a while now and decided to post.
I just bought a new Ridgid R4512 Table Saw last night. Got everything all pulled out of the box, and will
assemble tonight.
Just wanted to share my excitement. Of course I'd love a Powermatic, Unisaw, etc. But, that's out of my price range. Seems to be decent for the price.
Cheers!
Jesse
My first table saw was a Ridgid.... Older model than your shiney new saw. I bartered for mine. Spent many hours removing rust before I could use it.

Great saw, no shame in it. Enjoy it.

John Hays
06-28-2012, 3:01 PM
There's no shame in owning the R4512. In fact, that's the same model I plan to buy in a few weeks, simply because it's the best table saw on the market for $500, IMHO.

But you had better post some pics before there's an angry mob armed with torches and pitchforks standing outside your door. :eek:

scott spencer
06-28-2012, 3:37 PM
...First thing I need to do is get a new blade, the cheapie that came with it looks pretty useless.
Is the Diablo just the cheaper version? Thanks!

Its usually a good move to upgrade stock blades...most are pretty lame. According to Charles McCracken (Freud rep), the Diablo and the Industrial lines are made to the same standards using the same equipment, but are marketed to different segments. Physically, the Diablo line has smaller carbide (fewer resharpenings), and sometimes has less sophisticated anti-noise slots. The Diablo line is also strictly thin kerf AFAIK, and has a much more limited selection than the Industrial line. IMHO, the Diablo blades are great value. You can get a good 24T ripper (D1024X), and an excellent 60T (D1060X) blade for just about everything except for thick ripping for ~ $70.

There are also great blades from Infinity, Forrest, CMT, Tenryu, Amana, Ridge Carbide, Delta Industrial, and DeWalt's Precision Trim series....Irwin has a new line that looks interesting and is made in Italy, but I haven't tried it yet. I'd avoid the DW construction series, Irwin Marathon/Sprint/& Classic serires, Ryobi, Avanti/Avanti Pro, Workforce, HF, and Oldham contractor series.

Tips for buying saw blades (http://lumberjocks.com/knotscott/blog/12395)

Rich Engelhardt
06-28-2012, 3:41 PM
Is the Diablo just the cheaper version?Be vary careful w/the Diablo at Home Depot.
Home Depot used to carry the Freud Diablo.
The Diablo Home Depot carries now isn't made by Freud, it's a Chinese made one.

Amazon frequently runs killer sales on Freud blades.
I picked up two Freud Glue Line rip blades from them for my Ridgid TS3660.

scott spencer
06-28-2012, 4:08 PM
Be vary careful w/the Diablo at Home Depot.
Home Depot used to carry the Freud Diablo.
The Diablo Home Depot carries now isn't made by Freud, it's a Chinese made one.

Amazon frequently runs killer sales on Freud blades.
I picked up two Freud Glue Line rip blades from them for my Ridgid TS3660.

Rich - Are you possibly thinking of the "Avanti" line that HD sells? That used to be a Freud line, but Freud discontinued it in June 2009, and is now Chinese made junk IMO that's roughly comparable to most stock blades. The Diablo line is still Freud, still made in Italy AFAIK.

Rich Engelhardt
06-28-2012, 4:40 PM
Scott,
Good catch. Yes, I was thinking of the Avanti and all the while typing Diablo.

Chad Bender
06-28-2012, 5:09 PM
Congrats on the saw. I've got the Craftsman version of the same model (21833). It's a fantastic saw for the $$, and is a hybrid saw, not a contractor saw. That would be obvious to everyone if the outer case extended all the way to the floor. I actually prefer the shorter case because the built in funnel at the bottom does a really good job directing dust to my dust collector hose.

Take some serious time to properly align the blade to the table and then the fence to the blade. I didn't initially (only did a cursory job) and ended up burning up the belt. After buying a new belt, I spend a few nights with a dial gauge (cheap from Harbor Freight) attached to a piece of maple that runs in the miter slot. That was a couple of years ago and I haven't had any problems since. I'd also recommend a couple of drops of (blue) threadlock on the fence adjustment screws. They kept backing out on me and changing the fence alignment.

I've got a Freud Fusion blade for general use, and a high-tooth count Oldham for sheet goods. The saw cuts like a dream. I've managed to get through 2+" thick hard maple and 3" thick cherry with no burning.

Carl Beckett
06-28-2012, 7:46 PM
Check on the _Bay for the Onsrud blades that were listed. Great blades, and VERY inexpensive.
I've got Freuds and Diablos. Both work well, but I sure do like the Onsruds I bought.
Bill

That was it, Onsrud. Off eBay. $24 or something like this. Good blades, very good price.

scott spencer
06-28-2012, 9:33 PM
That was it, Onsrud. Off eBay. $24 or something like this. Good blades, very good price.

True, but the selection has dwindled to very few suitable blades for his TS. There's a couple of good miter blade deals left.

Jesse Ridder
06-29-2012, 8:32 AM

Here it is finally!
I haven't had time to align everything really well yet, and I will this weekend. Been super busy!!!
It passed the penny test upon first start-up. :)

Now to get all this cosmoline off, or whatever it is. Hmm...

Joseph Tarantino
06-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Here it is finally!
I haven't had time to align everything really well yet, and I will this weekend. Been super busy!!!

welcome to the creek. mineral spirits should make short work of the rust prevention goop on the CI top. and consider yourself fortunate to have started with the 4512 as opposed to one of those overpriced, underperforming products from jet or powermatic. with the registration of your 4512 in the LSA, any problems will be addressed by ridgid at their expense. just check that your 4512's blade to miter slot alignmment doesn't change as the blade's elevation is changes.

Chad Bender
06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
just check that your 4512's blade to miter slot alignmment doesn't change as the blade's elevation is changes.

+1 THIS. Early copies of this saw had severe problems with this. I don't know if the production line has subsequently fixed the problem, but it heavily tainted early reviews of what is otherwise a really good saw at a great price.

The alignment issue seemed to be hit or miss - either the saw was bang on with no problems, or completely unusable. Fortunately for me, my copy falls into the former category. Once you've got the blade adjusted using a dial gauge, change the blade height and re-measure front to back. If the blade is still parallel, you're golden. If not, return the saw.

Aaron Berk
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Here it is finally!

:) Yeah!
Sweet saw, nice to see you got it all together.

Now comes the fun part!!!!!!!!!

And thanks for the pics :D

Carl Beckett
06-29-2012, 1:51 PM

Here it is finally!

Great saw, nice Pic! You are going to enjoy...... :)

frank shic
06-29-2012, 2:07 PM
beautiful machine and thanks for the pic! does it come with a support table or is that the first project?

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 2:34 PM
Nice saw, what other cash can we help you spend???

ray hampton
06-29-2012, 3:18 PM

Here it is finally!

must saws will pass a penny test if the cosmoline are holding the penny

Aaron Berk
06-29-2012, 3:44 PM

ha ha ha!! Busted!

So the real test is the double staked golf ball test:cool:

Troy Turner
06-29-2012, 4:31 PM
Welcome aboard!

Excellent choice for your first saw. Glad you didn't do like some (or probably just me) and get one of the cheapest saws you could afford. If I would've known then to save my money and invest like you did, I'd probably still have it. It was a craftsman table saw with an aluminum top. It did the job for a while, but I sure was glad when the thing died :D

Jesse Ridder
06-29-2012, 7:28 PM

haha ;), I actually cleaned it as best I could before the penny test. Used some Mineral Spirits to finish it off.
I wish they had some T-9 around here, checked Ace and they didn't have it.. hmm
May just go with some Renaissance Wax I have laying around for my Jointer.