PDA

View Full Version : Cyclones???

Chris Lee
04-06-2005, 7:56 AM
I am getting ready to purchase a DC soon and I have been leaning towards a cyclone. I am not real keen on the idea of rolling a machine around to each tool, when I could mount a cyclone in the corner and be done with it. As of now I am leaning towards the Oneida 2hp Component, but after seeing that new Gorilla I may adjust, but we will see. My shop is a 22x22 garage. All tools are on mobile bases, because SWMBO just will not park her Cadilac outside, so space is at a premium to say the least. My question is about the filters. I see they have models with an internal filter and the external filters. For me the ideal would be the internal filter as it seems to take up much less space, and I could truelly mount it in a corner and really lose no usable shop space. But what is the differenc in performance? Does an exterior filter add a lot to the performance? If anybody could help me understand any major differences I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

Michael Gabbay
04-06-2005, 8:59 AM
Chris - I'd talk to Oneida. I spoke with them a couple of months ago about internal vs. external filters. From what I can remember they said the external was much easier to clean and offers a little better performance and I think it was quieter.

Mike

Jim Becker
04-06-2005, 9:02 AM
Chris, in my personal experience, (real experience) there was about a perceived 15-20% increase in performance when I moved to the external filter on the 1.5hp Oneida I used prior to upgrading to the 2hp Commercial. And you CAN extend the filter to another part of the room if you need to...I'm about to do that with mine to bring my closet into code compliance...I have the breaker box in there and need to move my compressor to the exact spot the filter currently occupies.

And don't even think about using the internal filter unit with any kind of sanding devices...even with the quick-release clamps, cleaning it is a bear.

Ken Salisbury
04-06-2005, 9:17 AM
Michael, if you go to the bottom of this page and look at the "Similar Threads" list you may find all the information you need.

Mac McAtee
04-06-2005, 9:27 AM
I'd get rid of the Cadilac first.

Steven Wilson
04-06-2005, 9:57 AM
Chris, layout your shop on paper, send it to Oneida and then discuss your requirements with them. They'll work with you to size the DC correctly for your needs and the appropriate duct work to go with it.

Nick Mitchell
04-06-2005, 10:17 AM
By all accounts the external filter definitely is the way to go with a cyclone. Better performance and much easier to clean.Just a thought, while more expensive the Felder Clean Air DC sytems are extremely mobile, have a small footprint and return perfectly clean air to your shop. They'll suck the skin off a custard too ;) Like I said, it's just another option.
http://www.felder.co.at/data/products/02664_bild_detail.jpg

Greg Narozniak
04-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Check this out. Right up your alley!

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/gorilla/main.htm

Chris Padilla
04-06-2005, 11:04 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9933

Also, type in "cyclone" or "Pentz" or "sheldon" and you'll find a myriad of stuff regarding DCs.

Happy Hunting!

Mark Singer
04-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't have a filter....the Oneida just blow through the roof....no dust is visible ..even when its running. They reccoment it for warmer climates:)

Chris Padilla
04-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't have a filter....the Oneida just blow through the roof....no dust is visible ..even when its running. They reccoment it for warmer climates:)

Hmmm, do you visit your neighbors downwind?? ;)

Steve Aiken
04-06-2005, 1:38 PM
The internal filter is smaller than the external filter. I wanted to go with the internal filter, but was talked out of it by the Oneida rep.

Steve

Chris Lee
04-06-2005, 2:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I sent an email to Oneida with specs and we will se what they have to say.

Thanks,
Chris