PDA

View Full Version : Source for Old Wood?

Jim Koepke
06-27-2012, 2:16 PM
It seems the bleachers from Cal Berkeley's Old Memorial Stadium were salvaged and some may be for sale.

Almost makes me wish my home was still in the SF area.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2012/06/27/old-cal-memorial-stadium-for-sale-one-bleacher-at-a-time/

A few days later, the wrecking company which had the wood called to say it was losing its lease, had to move out of its premises, and wanted to know if Gellerman was interested in acquiring the rest of the consignment. It was then that Gellerman discovered many of the bleachers were made from rare old-growth woods: Port Orford cedar and Alaska Yellow Cedar.

Gellerman sprang for the entire consignment — and it took 24 double flat bed trucks three days to move it from the Oakland warehouse to Wooden Duck’s storage facilities.

jtk

george wilson
06-27-2012, 2:32 PM
The last time I saw wood from bleacher seats at the junk yard,they were asking something like $5.00 or $6.00 a bd. ft. for it. Screw holes and all.

Christian Castillo
06-27-2012, 4:50 PM
Thanks for posting the article, as a UC Berkeley alum, I'm definitely going to try and get some pieces of the stuff, too many fond memories of the games at Cal during my time there as an undergrad.