PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Try plane tote and razee

Matthew N. Masail
06-27-2012, 2:16 PM

This is going well (: just glued her up today, the body is slightly less than 2.5 inches high at the moment. toe to mouth is 8.5 inches and overall is almost 24 at the moment. I have never used or seen such a plane before so I have no idea what dimentions to aim for:

1. how deep should the razee be? or, how tall from the bottom of the plane.
2. how tall should the front block be?
3. where to locate the tote?

and, is there perhaps a drawing of a closed tote I can find online to trace from?....

Thanks again... !

george wilson
06-27-2012, 2:46 PM
WHY do you want to make a razee?? They were only made to use in vocational classes where boys too young to handle a full depth plane could have a lighter weight plane. Your plane is already a light plane,at only 2 1/2" tall.

Matthew N. Masail
06-27-2012, 3:09 PM
I have a book on traditional planes, it says that the razee put more force into pushing the plane rather than down force. since I see Dereks planes and others are razeed also.. I thought it was a good idea. also seems more comfortable. would I be better off not doing it?

george wilson
06-27-2012, 4:12 PM
As I said,razees were for school boys. I never make them,but no real harm if you want to. I like the inertia a heavier plane gives.

Matthew N. Masail
06-27-2012, 4:32 PM
Ok I'll try without. I can always razee it later if I want to. can anyone help out with the tote please?

george wilson
06-27-2012, 5:44 PM
A few years ago,I posted a drawing of a nice plane handle for anyone to copy who wished. I'll see if I can search for it.

P.S.: I found and posted two handles for you Matthew. Look in the list of new postings on this page for them.