PDA

View Full Version : My table saw now has company

Dan Forman
04-06-2005, 4:01 AM
Well, it was rather an interesting procedure, but 3 of us managed to get the new MM 16 down the steps in one piece. We used an appliance dolly to let it down the stairs,attached a rope to that which was wrapped around a porch post 1 1/2 times to slow the descent if needed. That part was actually the easiest. More difficult was getting it from my truck, across the back yard to the door. The ground is wet and soft, the small wheels on the dolly often sank into the ground, making it much more difficult to roll than if it was on concrete. We ended up laying down a half sheet of 1/8 inch masonite and rolling over that in the softest sections.

I still don't have my 240 wiring connected, so won't be able to try it out for at least a week. I guess a thorough cleanup is next on the agenda, which will let me become familiar with the parts and adjustment and such.

I didn't even have time to admire it, as I was 1/2 hour late for my evening shift as it was. Here it is, all trussed up still.

Dan

Doug Shepard
04-06-2005, 6:47 AM
You are one lucky dog. I notice you posted at 4AM. I'm guessing you stayed up all night salivating over your new toy right?

scott spencer
04-06-2005, 7:44 AM
I seem to recall staring at the top of one of those things for hours one time.....well, seemed like hours while going down Tom's stairway anyhow. :D

Extremely nice machine! Enjoy and make pretty stuff! ;)

Ted Shrader
04-06-2005, 7:51 AM
Dan -

Congratulations! A nice addition to your shop. Hurry up and get the 220V in - you will be amazed at how well the MM16 works.

Ted

Kelly C. Hanna
04-06-2005, 8:05 AM
Very nice choice you made there....I'm not sure there's a better bandsaw out there.

Bruce Page
04-06-2005, 9:32 AM
Dan, congrats on the new BS and on getting it down the stairs safely. It looks like they have added a few caution stickers since I bought mine last year. (I would peel them off anyway..)

Bart Leetch
04-06-2005, 9:38 AM
Great lookin band-saw.

At first I thought you were going to say, More difficult was getting the porch post back in place. :eek: :D

Mark Singer
04-06-2005, 9:39 AM
Wonderful machine...

lou sansone
04-06-2005, 9:43 AM
very nice indeed. Now it would seem that getting it down was the easy part. what about getting it back out when you build another larger shop !

enjoy
lou

Dan Owen
04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Looks good Dan. Instead of being late for work, you might as well take the day off once you get the 220 hooked up. It's hard to walk away once that beauty gets running.

When we brought my saw into the basement, I actually had to go up 5 stairs before I could go down the 8 foot flight into the basement. Going up is not as bad as one might think for you have a lot more assertive control over the saw. The funny thing was that my electrician finished wiring my basement the day my saw arrived. What he didn't know was that he would get to help get the saw into the basement.

Have fun and be safe

Dan

"Overworked, underpaid and under appreciated. The perks of being middle class and educated."

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Excellent choice and tool Dan!

JOSEPH GOVEA
04-06-2005, 4:25 PM
Very Nice Dan:) :) Look forward to hearing all about set up process and all. I was wondering if minimax will have any of the mm16 w/3.8 hp left by the time the pomona ww show comes around at the end of april:confused: Congrat on your new mm16.

Dan Forman
04-07-2005, 6:04 AM
Thanks all, can't wait to fire it up.

Dan---Funny about the electrician helping you move it.

Joseph---I got the "old one", I'm sure they have at least a few left, don't know whether they would take them to a show however. It sounded like the price is at rock bottom now, don't know whether they could beat it at a show, but it sure wouldn't hurt to ask. Give "em a call.

Lou---Helium balloons! If that soesn't work, duct tape lots of styrofoam to it, then flood the basement. I guess I ought to unplug it first.

Dan