PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Saw recommendation?

Brian Kent
06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I need a pruning saw for hand work and one with a pole for higher branches.

I want good enough quality to simply do the job effectively, but I hate buying twice. I will probably use this about 6 times per year, a few hours at a time.

Part of the need is for cutting palm fronds.

Any recommendations?

Sam Murdoch
06-27-2012, 2:12 PM
I am very happy to respond to your question because I absolutely love (in a platonic sort of way :D) every Silky saw I own or have used - http://www.silkysaws.com/ Pricey but they are far superior to anything else I have ever used. I don't even use my 6 Sandvik bow saws anymore.
The Silkys come in many configurations including pole saws and are available from lots of dealers - you can do a dealer search on their web site.

Kevin Bourque
06-27-2012, 3:05 PM
Check out Fiskars. They have a whole line of tree pruning supplies.

Steve Friedman
06-27-2012, 3:22 PM
I have had my ARS pole saw for several years and love it. So do my neighbors who borrow it all the time. The pole is 18.5 feet long and super lightweight. In fact, it is light enough that I have been able to use it fully extended while standing on an 8' ladder (when my wife wasn't looking). I think Silky makes a couple of poles that are a little longer, but I don't think they have a blade that compares to the 18" ARS raker toothed blade. It is an awesome saw. May be an overkill for palm fronds, but sure does make it easier with maple and oak limbs.

I have several hand pruning saws, including a massive (and expensive) Silky one, but my favorite is a wooden handled Corona that I bought at Lowes for under $25.

Steve

Joe Mioux
06-27-2012, 4:16 PM
i use several brands of cutters, loppers and saws in my shops and greenhouses. Felco, Corona and Claus are industry standards.

Corona makes a very good pole saw. Pruners go to any of the three... Felco and Corona are two that I use.

claus makes excellent scissors....

Matt Meiser
06-27-2012, 4:56 PM
Joe, do you have a particular model. The Corona's I found on Amazon get a LOT of bad reviews. I'm guessing they have different lines.

I'm in the same boat. I bought an electric which works great, but was using it by rolling my generator out where I was using it. Now I put in a standby generator and sold the portable. I don't think 100's of feet of cord is going to work out.

Larry Edgerton
06-27-2012, 8:02 PM
My trim saw is a Husquvarna on a stick, but if you are looking for manual ones Baileys out in your neighborhood has several brands in different price ranges.

baileysonline.com

I have a Silky I bought from them that works just fine, but I like the one with a motor better......

Larry

David G Baker
06-27-2012, 9:22 PM
I have a Fiskars but Baileys has a good selection. If I had to do it over I would probably buy a Silky.

David Weaver
06-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Gyokucho pole saw. Not necessarily cheap, but very light on the end of the pole with very aggressive teeth that will cut anything very easily.

The version of the pull saw is also excellent. I don't know how much the pistol grip pull saw is, about $30? Far better than the versions that are sold at the borgs. Sharp enough that it's on the edge of being dangerous (which is a good thing). A 5 inch branch is nothing to it.

Brian Kent
06-28-2012, 2:27 PM
Thank you very much for the info, guys. I cut a few limbs with a very old and cheap saw yesterday. I definitely need something else. Is it fine for green branches, but the hard dry dead oleander just grabbed and held, whether I tried a light touch or used force.

Scott Donley
06-28-2012, 4:44 PM
I bought this Corona last year and have been happy with it. At 14 ft. it will give you a workout after a while.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VNRG2/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

Brian Elfert
06-28-2012, 7:44 PM
I would think for occasional use just about any saw would work. I have a cheap bow pruning saw and it works well enough for me. I have no idea on a pole saw.

A professional user of a saw is going to get a lot out of an expensive saw, but most of us won't if we only use it a few times a year. If you really do want to get a good saw I would bet something from Lee Valley would do quite nicely. They have a Silky for $80.

Joe Mioux
07-04-2012, 4:22 PM
Joe, do you have a particular model. The Corona's I found on Amazon get a LOT of bad reviews. I'm guessing they have different lines.

I'm in the same boat. I bought an electric which works great, but was using it by rolling my generator out where I was using it. Now I put in a standby generator and sold the portable. I don't think 100's of feet of cord is going to work out.

Sorry, Matt, I just caught your question this afternoon. I have the tp6850.