PDA

View Full Version : LV Chairmaker's Scraper vs. WoodRiver Deluxe Scraper Set - Experience? Comment?

Quesne Ouaques
06-26-2012, 7:52 PM
Hello All:

Just curious if anyone has used either of these products. Or, even better, seen them side-by-side.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020573/23361/woodriver-deluxe-scraper-set.aspx

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=54886&cat=1,310

They look pretty much identical, but $42 vs. $80 (for the same set of blades) seems like quite a big difference.

Any experience or comments?

Thanks

Tony Zaffuto
06-26-2012, 7:59 PM
I have a Veritas scraper shave (not what you referenced) and it is a true delight to use, highly recommend it. As far as what you referenced above, old Stanley scrapers are a dime a dozen, and dirt cheap. Depending upon model, they also may have any adjustable angle.

David Weaver
06-26-2012, 8:37 PM
When stanley made these things so long ago, I have to wonder why all of the knock-off chinese versions look so much like the veritas versions.

Quesne Ouaques
06-26-2012, 10:02 PM
As far as what you referenced above, old Stanley scrapers are a dime a dozen, and dirt cheap. Depending upon model, they also may have any adjustable angle.

Tony:

If I am looking for the same style of scraper, what Stanley type or model number would I be looking for?

Derek Cohen
06-27-2012, 5:15 AM
They look pretty much identical, but $42 vs. $80 (for the same set of blades) seems like quite a big difference.

That is the difference in price when one company pays for the research and design work, and the other company just uses their design. Guess which is which.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eugenio Musto
06-27-2012, 6:49 AM

That is the difference in price when one company pays for the research and design work, and the other company just uses their design. Guess which is which.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wise words Derek,fortunately we can still support the company buying the original tools..

Michael Dedon
06-27-2012, 9:30 AM
Tony:

If I am looking for the same style of scraper, what Stanley type or model number would I be looking for?

The Stanley #82 is a close match. There's two varieties with the head adjustment being the difference. If you're not looking for pretty, they can be had for $10-$25 on the auction site. Make sure it comes with a blade.

Don Dorn
06-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I wasn't going to say anything because I have no experience with the tool in question, but have recently bought a low angle spoke shave and attempting to decide between the $49 Woodriver and the $69 Veritas. For the exact reasons that Derek pointed out, I went with the Veritas and have no regrets, it's a great tool. Don't know how the Woodriver would be, but it certainly can't be better than the choice I made - and for the difference, I feel better supporting the R&D and production efforts of Veritas.

bob blakeborough
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek

^^^This^^^

Trevor Walsh
06-27-2012, 2:02 PM
Yes somebody over there bought the LV and reverse engineered it, without R&D of it's own I speculate the manufacturer may have neglected certain points for expense without knowing what the performance ramifications would be. I agree LV all the way. When WoodRiver produces something of it's own design then I'll think about buying it.

Rob Fisher
06-27-2012, 2:54 PM
+3 on Derek's comments. LV has always exceeded my expectations.

Jeff Heath
06-27-2012, 4:33 PM
+4,5, & 6 on what Derek said. I personally will never purchase ANYTHING from WR. They sit on the shoulders of others work, like Veritas and Lie Nielsen, and try, while failing miserably, to copy without paying their dues.

It's a shame it happens, but it's a common tail coming from the east.

Could you imagine if only companies like WR existed.......YIKES.

Jeff gung ho North American spender

Brian Ashton
06-28-2012, 6:41 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'll put my devils advocate hat on for a moment...

Personally I don't see a great deal of r&d in this scraper that could cause the tool to cost that much more (though I have been wrong in the past). Considering all the brands that have come before both of them over the decades (and possibly centuries); Stanley, Starrett, Millers Falls there is little to re-invent.

Now I'll take it off...

I don't have any idea how much r&d goes into the tools that lee valley designs. What I do know is Lee Valley make excellent quality tools something the chinese aren't, on there own, known for (I can remember saying that about the japanese - can you). So for me I'll still go for the lee valley even if it's twice the price. I've never been disappointed with any Lee Valley purchases but I can say I've binned lots of chinese purchases even when they weren't broke, simply because they were crap.

bob blakeborough
06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I'll put my devils advocate hat on for a moment...

Personally I don't see a great deal of r&d in this scraper that could cause the tool to cost that much more (though I have been wrong in the past). Considering all the brands that have come before both of them over the decades (and possibly centuries); Stanley, Starrett, Millers Falls there is little to re-invent.

Now I'll take it off...

I don't have any idea how much r&d goes into the tools that lee valley designs. What I do know is Lee Valley make excellent quality tools something the chinese aren't, on there own, known for (I can remember saying that about the japanese - can you). So for me I'll still go for the lee valley even if it's twice the price. I've never been disappointed with any Lee Valley purchases but I can say I've binned lots of chinese purchases even when they weren't broke, simply because they were crap.

Actually, you would be shocked at the level of R&D that goes into the most simple "seeming" things from LV. I was fortunately enough to have Rob show me a few things they were working on and describe in quite a bit of detail the things they were doing, testing, etc... How they engineer things is insane! I wish I was smart enough to be able to lay it out in a manner that would be coherent to everybody, but it is far enough over my head that I just sit back and oooooh and ahhhhh. Boy I wish I could get my hands on one of those 3D printers they have! lol!

Quesne Ouaques
06-29-2012, 5:37 PM
Thanks very much to all for your comments. Derek, your insights are spot on and much appreciated.

I do have a number of LV planes as well as other odds and ends that I've been enormously happy with (Twin-Screw Vise, bench pups, cabinet scraper, etc.)

In the interim, therefore, I ordered the LV Chairmaker's Scraper and I am planning to take it over to Woodcraft in New Castle DE next week. I will report back as to how the two tools compare side-by-side.