PDA

View Full Version : Tall Maple Vase/ now with a better picture

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 7:50 PM
This is a vase I turned this afternoon........had a little time to do it, the weather was beautiful, so.........this vase is approx. 9 inches tall and 4.5 inches wide at the top. Finished with about 6 coats of WTF......love this stuff, because it dries so quickly and you can add coats within minutes of one another! Comments welcome! I had posted this to another site, and it allows a little tweaking on the picture.........was able to make the exposure better, so thought I would add it here!

235385235386235387 http://www.thewows.com/isapi.dll/c/content/f/viewproperty/siteid/G6kOAI/contentclass/PICT/contentid/ZZZZYIH8/propertyname/Original/%7E/IMGP3457.jpg

Kathy Marshall
06-26-2012, 7:56 PM
Very nice Roger!
I like the bead at the rim and I think the whole thing has a nice shape to it. I also like the color and grain orientation of the wood and the finish looks very touchable.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 8:35 PM
Thanks Kathy.........wish the pics were better.........they are underexposed.....:mad:.....my wife's camera hates me! :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Really nice Roger. I like the rim. Well done.

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 6:40 AM
Really nice Roger. I like the rim. Well done.

Appreciated Bernie!

Roland Martin
06-27-2012, 7:31 AM
Nice vase, Roger and a nice finish!

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 7:45 AM
Nice vase, Roger and a nice finish!

Thanks Roland!

Allan Ferguson
06-27-2012, 8:30 AM
Yes, that is very pleasing to the eye.

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 9:49 AM
Yes, that is very pleasing to the eye.

I am glad you see it that way, Allan...........your comment is truly appreciated!

Tim Rinehart
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Very nice flow to this vase Roger. This is the sort of piece that is welcome to see more of...stuff that can actually be used!
Agree on the ease of and results from the finish too!

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2012, 1:15 PM
I like this vase, Roger. It is an unpretentious but very appealing form.

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 1:24 PM
I like this vase, Roger. It is an unpretentious but very appealing form.

Thanks David........unpretentious.......hummm........nice compliment! I have not gotten into much embellishment on my turnings as of yet......I am a bit of a purist.........I like the wood to speak for itself. I have not gotten into pyrography as yet, except signing my name on the bottom........perhaps a little dye job once in a while [I have two pieces dyed to date :rolleyes: ] I like high art, but I also like the wood and form to do most of the talking about itself, not a lot of piercings, etc.

One of the reasons I like your work as much as I do David, is because you let the form and the wood do most of the talking in your work...........thanks again!

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 8:11 PM
This is the sort of piece that is welcome to see more of...stuff that can actually be used!

Tim,

Your post and David's do bring up something I struggle with........go artsy, or functional pieces ....some call utilitarian. I admire art and have a creative side to me..........most of the people I interact with, seem to want a "useful" piece like a bowl or something that is practical.........I guess the struggle lies in trying to make something useful with an artistic flare........

do any of you struggle with the same issue? Perhaps it might be better talked out on another thread of its own, but utilitarian vs. artsy seems to be a reoccurring theme in wood turning!

Steve Vaughan
06-27-2012, 9:42 PM
I'm with all the others, I really like the vase. It just works all over I think, the size, the contours, etc. And I'm liking the finish too...got me a can of that stuff, just haven't had the chance to use it on something yet...or at least I don't think I have had the chance. Might just have to suck it up and go for it on something. Hope whatever I use it on will turn out as nice as this!

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks Steve.........you will like the WTF.........I always disliked getting the turning done, and then having a two or three day process of applying finish.............If you are like me, you don't have that kind of time in our line of work...........so this allows a process of 30-45 minutes of finishing work, then done!

Baxter Smith
06-28-2012, 1:54 PM
Nice form Roger. Looks good with only the single burned line. Another type of simple embellishment might be nice as well. Lots of possibilities for you.

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 3:18 PM
Thanks Baxter.......

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2012, 4:17 PM
Good looking vase Roger! Has an almost old-world charm to it. Good flow to the curve!

When it comes to tweaking your photos ... what graphics editor are you using? Should be able to adjust lighting and color with just about all of the editors.

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 6:36 PM
Good looking vase Roger! Has an almost old-world charm to it. Good flow to the curve!

When it comes to tweaking your photos ... what graphics editor are you using? Should be able to adjust lighting and color with just about all of the editors.

Steve..........I just borrowed this pic that I had "tweaked" on the WOW forum..........copy and paste..........don't know what software they have that allows one to edit pics..........maybe I need to get my own! :o:o

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2012, 6:50 PM
Roger - I use this free graphics program and have for years. It is a great program and worth checking into - in my opinion. FastStone (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm)

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 7:02 PM
Thanks Steve..........I have the resizer program from faststone.........not sure if they are the same, as I have not seen how to enhance images, only convert to different sizes. I am not very tech savy..........might have to learn however!

Jamie Donaldson
06-28-2012, 7:12 PM
Roger, does your wife's camera have exposure compensation function available, and yes, you may have to read the instruction book to find out! If so, a setting of +1 will greatly improve your underexposure situation, without the need for software manipulations.;)

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 8:04 PM
Roger, does your wife's camera have exposure compensation function available, and yes, you may have to read the instruction book to find out! If so, a setting of +1 will greatly improve your underexposure situation, without the need for software manipulations.;)

If I can locate the instruction book Jamie.........that might be the issue! It is a Pentax K100 digital SLR.........don't know if that gives you any information you need or I need...........might have to do a google search!

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 8:35 PM
Okay Jamie.........got the manual, and got it figured out.........I now know how to put +1 on the exposure in the menu, and now if I can just remember to do that when I take a pic!

Thanks for all your help on this issue.........even an old dog like me can learn a new trick once in a while! :D:o:o

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Roger - I use this free graphics program and have for years. It is a great program and worth checking into - in my opinion. FastStone (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm)

Steve........I downloaded the aforementioned program.......look at the results using it!

235513 What a difference............thank you Sir!!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Roger... it looks a lot more natural in coloring. Jamie offered the best advice - use the camera to get as good a photo as you can. Then, if needed, use your graphics program to touch-up those items that need it. One thing to remember when editing - a little bit goes a long way! You don't want your photo to look like a painted poster from the 60's!

Experiment with the camera and also the graphics program. If you have any questions on the graphics program - let me know and I may be able to assist. Any questions on photography - Jamie is the expert!

Roger Chandler
06-29-2012, 7:40 PM
Roger... it looks a lot more natural in coloring. Jamie offered the best advice - use the camera to get as good a photo as you can. Then, if needed, use your graphics program to touch-up those items that need it. One thing to remember when editing - a little bit goes a long way! You don't want your photo to look like a painted poster from the 60's!

Experiment with the camera and also the graphics program. If you have any questions on the graphics program - let me know and I may be able to assist. Any questions on photography - Jamie is the expert!

Thanks Steve.........I appreciate your offer and all the help to date!

Billy Tallant
06-29-2012, 8:05 PM
Very nice vase Roger! I'm like the others, that rim sets it off! Looks great!

Roger Chandler
06-29-2012, 8:33 PM
Very nice vase Roger! I'm like the others, that rim sets it off! Looks great!

Thanks Billy..........appreciated!