PDA

View Full Version : LN 16" tenon saw.....

john davey
06-26-2012, 1:15 PM
Mine just arrived straight from the classified section here at SMC. I got to say this is a very nice saw. It ripped through some cherry like butter. I need to practice some with it as it is much larger than the only other saws I have which are the Veritas carcass set. But all I can say is WOW, I am happy :)....

Tony Shea
06-26-2012, 5:03 PM
I assume it to be the thin plate 16" tenon saw? If so then I completely agree, I absolutely love mine! It is probably my favorite and most used back saws in my arsenal. I was recommended by Deneb @ Lie Nielsen to get this as my next saw after a DT saw. It has been my work horse and my go to rip back saw even though I have a 12" and 14". The thin plate really helps speed up the cut,

Jim Matthews
06-26-2012, 9:28 PM
Get it greasy when you cut - it's MUCH faster that way.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
06-26-2012, 9:30 PM
John you lucky son-of-a . . . gun!

I was right behind you on that sale -- congrats on a smokin' deal! Guess I might just have to pay Thomas FULL price . . .:confused::mad::D

jeff

Mike Allen1010
06-27-2012, 2:51 PM
. The thin plate really helps speed up the cut,

Tony, I completely agree the thin Place available with modern backsaws really offer a significant advantage in performance over the thicker plates typically found in vintage backsaws. That's the primary reason I think when it comes to backsaws you're better off to get/make a contemporary model that takes advantage of today's thinner 1095 spring steel saw plates. I'm not saying that vintage backsaws can't be made to work extremely well, just my personal opinion.

In comparison, when it comes to unbacked, full size and panel saws I don't think you can do much better than a taper ground, vintage saw.

All the best, Mike

john davey
06-27-2012, 2:58 PM
Ha, sorry Jeff. I figured i needed to hurry on that one :). Even if you have to pay the full price for one I think it would be worth it...John

Randy Karst
07-01-2012, 3:00 AM
John, congrates on the saw; I agree, it is a special saw. Mine came from a fellow creeker as well and am quite satisfied with its performance. Jim's advice above is sound, I use a little mutton (or beef tallow depending which container is handy) tallow on mine. Enjoy!

Randall Farris
07-01-2012, 10:40 AM
+1 on applying grease. I use Renaissance Wax, very slick but doesn't discolor.