PDA

View Full Version : Woodgettin' tools! - a little gloat

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
On a regular basis I seem to have folks approaching me to help get wood .......a lot of times for members of our turning club, or friends who have farms, and once in a while, I have someone in the neighborhood who wants one taken down...........because of this I have felt the need for a bigger chainsaw. I have a Husqvarna 359 with 20" bar already, and a small 16" poulan pro [think homeowner model]

I have wanted and needed a bigger model........after doing a lot of thinking and researching, and talking with some pros about logging and equipment...........I came to decide on this.........

A powerful professional saw with no bar and chain :eek: seriously, I have on order from the dealer, a 28" bar and the chain that goes with it. In their showroom they had a 20" bar on this ........the display shelves would not fit a longer bar.

Anyway.......I was thinking about a 32" bar, but decided to go with the 28" because it is likely to handle anything I will ever throw at it, and this is a powerful saw that has serious quality in the main bearings, and is built for professional loggers with reliability and longevity in mind. The saw dealer carries a full line of Stihl and Husky saws and outdoor equipment............they also are a servicing dealer for both brands..........he tells me this saw just does not come back for problems..........he stated it has better bearings than a Stihl in his opinion, and has more torque and rpm's than comparable Stihl models............and he could not give it any better recommendation.

My 28" bar should be arriving in about a week. I have 19 white pines to take down :eek: sometime over the next few months.......as well as those calls I get from time to time.........wish me luck!!!

charlie knighton
06-26-2012, 11:31 AM
good luck, looks like a nice chainsaw, if you need 28 inch bar buy some plastic wedges also

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
, if you need 28 inch bar buy some plastic wedges also

Had those for a long time already, Charlie........safety always first! Thanks!

Fred Belknap
06-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I bet the ole hiney will drag after running that saw all day, I been thinking of getting a little longer bar for my Stihl.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I bet the ole hiney will drag after running that saw all day,

I have no doubt about that Fred..........this one is only for the big parts of the tree...........for limbing and smaller stuff, I will stick with my 359 or maybe the little guy the Poulan Pro 16"!!! :)

Jon Nuckles
06-26-2012, 4:27 PM
Nice saw, Roger. You shouldn't even need a bar and chain for that one; the trees will take one look and fall down on their own!

Gary Max
06-26-2012, 4:45 PM
That will get-r-done. Super nice gloat

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2012, 4:47 PM
Congrats on your new saw Roger! Looks like it should be able to handle just about anything you can throw at it! Have fun and work safe!

Kevin Bourque
06-26-2012, 5:24 PM
The Monty Python "lumberjack" song is playing in my head right now.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Nice saw, Roger. You shouldn't even need a bar and chain for that one; the trees will take one look and fall down on their own!

Don't I wish it were that easy! Thanks Jon!

Ken Glass
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Roger,
that is one big saw. There was a day long ago I would have loved a saw like that, but too many years ago for me. My arms ache just thinking about running that one all day. Great purchase.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Congrats Roger. That ought to take'em down.

Sid Matheny
06-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Real nice gloat and if that baby won't take it down you don't need it!

Sid

brian watts
06-27-2012, 12:09 AM
very nice. let us know after a few months how it does. iam looking at the same saw ..

Roland Martin
06-27-2012, 7:37 AM
Now, that's a nice saw, Roger. Looks like you have a full arsenal now!

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 7:43 AM
Real nice gloat and if that baby won't take it down you don't need it!

Sid

Hey Sid...........I think you are right! Last year we cut that Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree........it was 9 ft x 7ft -4 inches at the base...........my Husqvarna 359 would not touch it except limbs, etc. Nate Hawkes got a Stihl 880 from a logger in Canada to help with it.......biggest saw Stihl makes...........we still have a portion of the stump waiting for us to cut up....I needed a bigger saw!

Roger Chandler
06-27-2012, 7:46 PM
Congrats on your new saw Roger! Looks like it should be able to handle just about anything you can throw at it! Have fun and work safe!

Thanks Steve........just looking forward to getting the long bar and chain in next week.......I know where there is a cherry tree with a number of burls on it....;):D.....already has my name on it, and might be a good opportunity to break this beast in! :)

Ryan Baker
06-27-2012, 8:58 PM
That's a great saw you have there. Congrats. You won't regret that purchase. Now pick up a 36" bar to keep around for those really big finds and you are ready to go.

Rich Aldrich
06-27-2012, 9:06 PM
Nice saw. I have a 365 which I bought when the started making the 500 series. The comparable would be a 562. My dad has a 371 which is comparable to the the 562. Keep in mind that he logs as a professional - he is only 76. No one on his crew which is only family at this point owns a saw that big. His normal chain saw is a John Deere 490 with a Rollie II processing head, but a couple of months per year, they get a hardwood sale and end up cutting logs by hand. I hope I am in the shape he is in when I am 76. My brother runs a John Deere 1270 processor, another nice "saw".

Baxter Smith
06-28-2012, 1:45 PM
Quite the saw Roger! You must have some serious cutting in your future! Since I can barely handle some of the blanks I cut with a 16" bar, I doubt I will ever get to come out and play with the big boys.;):)

Roger Chandler
06-28-2012, 3:23 PM
Quite the saw Roger! You must have some serious cutting in your future! Since I can barely handle some of the blanks I cut with a 16" bar, I doubt I will ever get to come out and play with the big boys.;):)

Yeah........that one is for the big stuff .......the thing weighs in at 15.5 lbs. That is just about 3.4 lbs more than my Husqvarna 359.........it will be used for larger trees for sure........the limbing will be done with the smaller saws.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2012, 9:07 PM
Well, seems the manufacturer and associated warehouses here in the USA have been in overtime with all that storm a week ago..........no chainsaw bars to be had hardly, and the dealer tells me if you need a generator or parts.....fuggettaboudit! [for now]

My 28" bar did come in, but no chain! None to be had! Way too many trees down over a large area I guess. My dealer did have on hand some bulk chain that he made me two chains for me out of premium Oregon chain, so that was fine...........

I fired this Husqvarna 390XP up this evening and cut a log.........geez.........talk about power! Undoubtedly the most powerful chainsaw this wood turner has ever used, and I have used a few in my time. Such pull and torque.........that thing ate through that big walnut log like it was butter! Just thought I would give a little update! ;)