PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl

Prashun Patel
06-26-2012, 9:47 AM
This is (sniff, sniff) the last of a lot of a fallen walnut tree in Princeton. I went through a lot to harvest it: multiple trips in my massive truck (a Honda Accord), a rash that flaked most of the skin off my hands, and a run in with the po-po.

I normally don't luck out and get the grain centered like this. 11"x5", finished in Waterlox.

I've been playing around with the Mirka Abralon pads (1000,2000,4000) for leveling and buffing. I like them a lot.

For me the best finish is one that's touchable. I wish there was a way to capture that in photos.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Nice........!

Fred Belknap
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
That is a beautiful finish. Looks like a lot of work to. In my opinion a nice finish puts a bowl in another category, and that looks like it fits right in. Very nice work.:D

Allan Ferguson
06-26-2012, 12:08 PM
That is a very nice piece of wood and fine turning/finish.

Dennis Ford
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Great job, I like the form and finish of this bowl. The wood is nice too.

Glenn Barber
06-26-2012, 3:38 PM
Looks great...especially the finish. Any tips on using the Abralon?

Glenn

Prashun Patel
06-26-2012, 3:56 PM
There's a couple ways to use it.

If I have the time, I use the pads by hand, dipped into soapy water or mineral spirits.
They will stick to a backing pad on a ROS. The ones I have are 3" so they fit on the end of an angle drill with a 2-3" mandrel; in this case I'd use MS as a lube.

The problem with the power sanding, IMHO is that they can 'clog' relatively quickly. Using water/soap/manually allows gentler rubbing and more often cleaning, which preserves the pad life.

After dry, I like to apply a coat of wax.

Jim Burr
06-26-2012, 4:09 PM
Great wood Prashun!! I'm not crazy about the form....but! The orientation is super...finish...off the chart for walnut!!! On the complaint side...we're looking at about $40 to fill the sucker with M&M's:eek:...not a happy thing!:(

Prashun Patel
06-26-2012, 4:15 PM
It's funny you say yr not a fan of the form. I've done a couple like this. I seem to love this form and nobody else does. My son thinks it'd make a better old-school play army helmet, or Dumb Donald (hat tipped to Fat Albert) halloween costume.

I find this form very sensual, 'floral', open and inviting. Curious to hear others' impressions of the form.

Jeremy Leasure
06-26-2012, 5:42 PM
My first thoughts were "I need to make a form like that."

So there are at least two of us in the oddball camp.

Kathy Marshall
06-26-2012, 8:05 PM
Very nice Prashun! Count me in with the "like the form" crowd. I like the nice flowing curve with the slight flare at the rim. I see this as a decorative piece, not so much a user (although I'm sure it would work great full of m&ms). It's one that I'd like to just pick up and hold. The finish definitely adds to the want to pick up and hold part. Great orientation and wood too.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Great looking bowl Prashun. I to like the form and the finish.

Eric Gourieux
06-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Add me to the "like" column. It helps when you finish it as beautifully as you did.

Ron Bontz
06-27-2012, 1:13 AM
Just a down right beautiful bowl. My compliments.

thomas prusak
06-27-2012, 1:14 AM
Love the form,finish,and wood equally. Great job on this one

Pat Scott
06-27-2012, 6:26 PM
Add me to the like list as well. Maybe the deep depth has to do with why some don't like it? I don't think there's anything wrong with it though and the flared rim compliments the shape. The finish is very nice.

You said you normally don't luck out and get the grain centered like this. For those that don't know, most of the time we orient blanks so the bottom of the bowl is the bark side. If you make the top of the bowl the bark side you'll get this type of circular grain pattern. Think natural edge bowl that has the natural edge removed.

Billy Tallant
06-28-2012, 3:17 AM
Great looking bowl! Definately like the form & finish.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Good looking bowl Prashun! I really like the form! Hope the rash has gone away by now!

Baxter Smith
06-28-2012, 2:18 PM
Nice form and great finish Prashun! A little extra time reorienting the blank if necessary while turning (if one takes the time to do it:rolleyes:) can pay dividends in the end. I have tried a couple somewhat similar ones though neither had a solid rim and both had a small foot. Another variation you might try when the mood hits!;) :)
235491 235492

Sean Hughto
06-28-2012, 3:01 PM
Great finish. Far beyond my skills or patience.

The form isn't one that would occur to me as I don't often find I can make ogee shapes work - I still want to make one curve that works! There is a floral quality to it. From the pics, the middle looks a little flat - I tend to be drawn to sexier - more pronounced - curves. That great wood really makes it a stunning piece.

Prashun Patel
06-28-2012, 3:09 PM
Wow, Baxter. I love them both. Yes, Sean, I agree with you. I have a tough time eliminating the 'flat' on these kinds of forms. I tend to turn the lip too flat. I find this kind of form aesthetically harder to turn, but technically easier, since the inside has no undercut to contend with. Also, the ogee prevents the inside from getting too vertical, so the transition from the side to bottom is gentle on the inside.